PDA

View Full Version : When discus is finding a pair, how do they act

DiscusBass
09-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Hi guys!
I was hoping that anyone have a link with video showing how a discus male and female is acting when becoming a pair.
I have 8 discus that is close to 1 year old.. and for the last week it has been som really intense fighting going on in the tank. Everyone is involved and it get really rough in there. So rough that they come out of the fight with some smaller marks and bruses.

They have always been fighting a little but something is going on now lol..
They are growing well and are acting really healthy now othervise.

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm sure there's a few vid's here; I don't have a link...They'll scrap a bunch, then tail slap and such, swim up and start a bowing dance of sorts..then, well....

Discus Origins
09-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Here is one when my Cuipeau started to pair...little shaking, bowing, guarding an area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAnJHmb8fdk

DiscusBass
09-02-2011, 09:21 AM
thank you so much!! Now i know what to look for =)
Those fishes are amazing looking!
These are my fishes http://youtu.be/xYy2jnZwhaU?hd=1 :D

Discus Origins
09-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Nice fish! Do you have a cone or any spawning substrate in the tank to induce pairing activity? Video shows bare tank, it would help to have something in there a female could pick out to guard.

DiscusBass
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi!
No, no cone in the tank. I acually moved them into this smaller tank to medicate when they were sick.
I never thought about breeding and them making pair earlier.. but i figured it might be starting now as they are close to one year old now.
The fighting going on in the tank is new. Might be a little to small in there now and thats why they fight? I hope its cos they are about to make pairs =)

DiscusBass
09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
OMG!!! Look what they started doing a few minutes ago!!!?!???
http://youtu.be/Dif3bAiYZZI?hd=1

judy
09-02-2011, 12:00 PM
yup, makin' babies, alright...

Discus Origins
09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
That's how it all starts, good luck!

DiscusBass
09-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Ahh **** im so happy!
Now i just hope one is a dude and one femaie.. Anyone who see through the video?

judy
09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Usually the female passes up first, then the male behind her fertilizing. you have to watch their reproductive tubes while they're doing it, to be sure who's pooping out eggs. Talk about voyeurism. I always feel like I'm a perv.

bmalick
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Usually the female passes up first, then the male behind her fertilizing. you have to watch their reproductive tubes while they're doing it, to be sure who's pooping out eggs. Talk about voyeurism. I always feel like I'm a perv.

LOL *_*

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2011, 04:11 PM

Judy, I couldn't tell last week. The angles were wrong and yup, felt like a perv. :)

Keith Perkins
09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Want to talk about feeling like a perv, try watching the sex act going on in your fish tank with a pair of binoculars. :D It works though if you have the right type.

Second Hand Pat
09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Want to talk about feeling like a perv, try watching the sex act going on in your fish tank with a pair of binoculars. :D It works though if you have the right type.

Too funny and a new one to me. May have to try that :)

SeaDragon
09-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Yay I'm not the only one staring at Discus while their going at it together! And yea it does make u feel like a perv

DiscusBR
09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
DiscusBass: Gorgeous discus. You definetly got a pair. Congrats.

I don't want to steal your thread, but I also wonder about the behavior 2 of my discus. I have 7 wild Cuipeaus in my 80g tank. More than a month ago, one fish (I assume the female) started cleaning the intatke of the canister filter. Soonafter, another fish (I assume the male) joined in. But there is no "dance", they just take turns guarding the area and chasing the other fish away. They almost never guard the area together, just take turns. I later purchased one of Barb's beautiful breading cones, but they ignore it and keep guarding the intake of the filter. Sometimes they stop for a few days, but always go back to the behavior. I have seen no eggs (it might have happened in one of my frequent trips). So is it common to see this behavior go on for months with no actual breeding?

louielayadiscus
01-02-2012, 01:15 AM
thanks for this post i think i have a potential mate in my tank.