PDA

View Full Version : question about rocks causing water issues?

walt3
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
hello. i have a 75 planted tank that i have scaped with quite a few rocks that came from a hill side. they are of a dominantly rust color. do you think this is iron and could they be helping my algae issue im dealing with at the moment? my tap has ammomia and nitrate in it straight fom the sink! pain! .25 and 5.0 respectively. i do 1/3 water change daily and gravel vac every other day. temp 85 give or take. no co2 no ferts. 130 watts of compact flourescents. should i pull the rocks to eliminate the possibility or is that over thinking the situation? my discus are baseball size including fins and feed them often. just uped the current with power head. ehiem 2217 with air stone as well. stumped! does it sound like to much food even though i do daily changes? any new plant or wood that goes in the tank looks great but a week later starting to get covered with algae. hair type. plants are also growing well and putting out new leaves. but..... advise welcome. walt.

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I can only make comment on the rock staining..It most likely is strong in Iron, as most red staining in geological formations is Iron...I don't know what it might be contributing to the algae. I personally don't care for rocks in a Discus tank for many reasons, their composition being one facet....I would think that they are gathering nutrients for some source;possibly food...Gary

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I can only make comment on the rock staining..It most likely is strong in Iron, as most red staining in geological formations is Iron...I don't know what it might be contributing to the algae. I personally don't care for rocks in a Discus tank for many reasons, their composition being one facet....I would think that they are gathering nutrients for some source;possibly food...Gary

That's actually not accurate. Quite often, the red are other minerals, or the iron is bound as a compound, and the red is showing the oxidation state at the time of deposition.

It's difficult to tell what the staining may be if you don't know the rock type, or the geological terrain, or without seeing a pic. Might be best to find your local USGS office, or a lapidary and have someone identify it.

- another Gary (who is a geologist).

Darrell Ward
09-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Don't really know about the algae, but I do know some types of rocks do leech various minerals.

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Were the rocks scrubbed and disinfected to rid them of all the organics? If not, that might be the source of the algae issue more than the rocks themselves.

Actually I missed the 130 watts of light on the tank. How many hours a day are you lighting it with that amount of light?

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
That's actually not accurate. Quite often, the red are other minerals, or the iron is bound as a compound, and the red is showing the oxidation state at the time of deposition.

It's difficult to tell what the staining may be if you don't know the rock type, or the geological terrain, or without seeing a pic. Might be best to find your local USGS office, or a lapidary and have someone identify it.

- another Gary (who is a geologist).

Not a geologist, but a small miner. Almost every red stained area I prospect in is either Iron or Arsenic..Most anything else capable has never popped up in my equipment..but you are right, there's other red stuff for sure...Like I said, why take a chance with expensive fish; lose the rocks, end of problem....

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Arsenic is not red....but to each his own. I've done exploration for precious metals on 4 continents.

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Arsenic is not red....but to each his own. I've done exploration for precious metals on 4 continents.

That's terrific,I'm jealous,as I've only done a few, but I do find what I am seeking. It's gold, and kinda heavy...

Back to the algae, I missed the light info too...the combo of it and the extra nutrients from feeding would be the most direct assumption....

2wheelsx2
09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
That's terrific,I'm jealous,as I've only done a few, but I do find what I am seeking. It's gold, and kinda heavy...
Yes, and I'm sure you've taken a few to feasibility and mined them, as I have. I'm totally envious too. Make sure you're not looking at red Potassic felspars while you're prospecting. But then you might find a copper porphyry instead of a gold deposit. Chalcopyrite is pretty heavy too.....

TURQ64
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Yep, just paid the gov't their yearlies on my Federal claims......I mostly dredge now, but the returns are good. Lotsa good spar in my home state of SD in the Black Hills....
Sorry for the thread-jacking

Darrell Ward
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
With 130 watts on a 75, and no ferts, ammonia and nitrate in the tap, I would guess the tank is probably unbalanced, and that would cause algae for sure.

walt3
09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
as not to light one side more than the other i guess i can add some floating plants to shield some light. any suggestions on floating plants to create more shade and would do well in the tank? i think the rocks are coming out anyway. not taking chance. thanks, walt. light on a timer 12 hrs. is that too much?