PDA

View Full Version : Different test kits give discordant results.

Rummy
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I have been trying out a couple of water test kits and have found that the results are different with each kit. I am concerned especially about the pH that varies quite a lot. One test will say 7.0, while the other says 7.8. I find the even the nitrites (scares me the most), nitrates, KH, GH tend to all show different results. I am unsure if it is appropriate to note which brand tests these are. I don't want to write anything negative. I just don't know which tests to believe. I am wondering if I would get more accurate readings if I invest in a pH meter instead. ( I think I read something about KH <4 can cause false readings.)
Of course, the fish are perfectly happy and healthy. I really wonder how often false readings do occur. I also use a conductivity meter. I would expect the readings to increase dramatically if I actually did have problems with nitrites and nitrates. Am I thinking right or am I totally off my rocker??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anik

walt3
09-03-2011, 08:24 AM
sorry i cant answer your question, but i love your discus pic! lovely. i have one with mis match stripes too on the right side of his body. the left side lines up straight. cool. beautiful fish. :)

TURQ64
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I personally use three different digital Ph meters, and they vary just as reagents do!..I steadily use a Milwaukee and keep it calibrated..(actually, all of them)..I think it's still about continuity (steady, little changes).For small home use, it's still hard to beat reagent chemicals...I still prefer to gauge my fish by tds, not ph necessarily....Gary

Rummy
09-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Walt.

Gary, I am glad that you told me that about the meters. I was thinking that I would get more accurate or consistent results with a meter. At least now, I won't invest in one and end up disappointed. You have a good point in just watching out for trends instead of focusing on the minute differences among the different brands. Thanks.

To all, enjoy your Labor Day weekend,
Anik