PDA

View Full Version : New 300 gallon high tech planted Discus tank - Build Journal

Pages : [1] 2

rbarn
09-02-2011, 06:58 PM
So, bought a new house and always wanted a massive multi-100 gallon tank.
Plan is a 300 gallon 96" long X 24" deep X 31" high tank done up with all the bells and whistles.

I am doing lots of remodeling so I had the contractor run a cold water line to under the tank and a drain will go out an exterior wall next to the tank and drain into the back yard. Water changes will be constant and automatic. Trying to make the tank as hands off and self supporting as possible. All I should have to do is vac out the fish poop a couple of times a week, replace filter media once a month and change out Co2 tanks.

Lighting:
(2x) 48" Corrallife Aqualight Pro hybrid lights each with twin 150W MH lamps, twin 96W PC fluorescent lamps and 3 1watt lunar lights

Controller:
Reef Keeper Elite NET - full PH control and Co2 injection. Heaters, Chiller, UV light - the works

Filtration:
Custom homemade acrylic sump with constant drip water exchange system

Tank scape:
Sand bottom with mineralized top soil sub base, with wood and some nice swords for plants.
Wont quite be a biotope, but wont be a crazy super planted tank either.
Shooting for a look similar to the award winning ADG discus tank.

Couple of months of build time. So watch for a slew of updates and build pics.

Stand is framed - Will be finished out to look like nice built book case eventually.
Ultra strong with 2x6 supports and a doubled up 2X10 header running over the front opening.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/base1.jpg

jimmyjoe
09-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Looking good, should be quite a build can't wait to see it all finished..............Jim in Ohio

dandestroy
09-02-2011, 10:00 PM
can't wait to see more...

rbarn
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Me too, I cant wait. I have always dreamed of having a massive tank and I finally get to have one. I'm really stoked about having water feed and drain under the tank. No more hoses running thru the house for me !!!!!! God I hate that.

Hoping I can get it looking similar to this with about 50-60% sand on the bottom. I have experience with high tech high light tanks so I think I can pull it off.

Putting in a 4,000 gallon concrete koi pond with a pool at same time too :))))))

tisha85
09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
love to see it when finished

Chunks
09-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Wow I'm keeping an eye on this build!

dacevedom
09-03-2011, 02:33 AM
wow, cant wait to see the progress and the final picture :)

Chunks
09-03-2011, 02:35 AM
What do you look for in a good mineralized top soil? There are so many to choose from at home hardware stores?

How deep will the soil part be? Then how deep does the sand need to be to cap it off?

Have you had experience doing a substrate like this before?

rbarn
09-03-2011, 09:28 AM
You want to use soil with no added fertilizers or bits styrofoam in it. The soil only needs to be about 1" deep then with 2" of sand on top. No experience trying this yet, I've always used ADA soil, but going to give it a shot. Done a ton of research on it, and I think I have the gist of it down. I have already mineralized a nice big container of soil. Took about a week and a half of spreading the dirt on large trash bag on the back deck and wetting and flipping it once a day. Kind of neat how it turns from earthy smelling dirt to a crumbly sand textured dirt with no smell. You can definitely tell when the transformation has taken place.

Darrell Ward
09-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I really don't consider a 300 gal. "massive", but it's a decent size that allows you many options. Drip ain't that great with a discus tank. Been there,done that, years ago. You'll have better water quality with water changes. Honest. Good luck with it.

rubinsteinnyc
09-03-2011, 10:36 AM
glass or acrylic? plywood? :)

walt3
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
sounds like fun project. i might cut off my pinky for a 300 in my basement! lol. jealous! :) 75 will have to do for now... :( have fun.

rbarn
09-03-2011, 12:39 PM
glass or acrylic? plywood? :)

Starfire glass.

I really don't consider a 300 gal. "massive", but it's a decent size that allows you many options. Drip ain't that great with a discus tank. Been there,done that, years ago. You'll have better water quality with water changes. Honest. Good luck with it.

Well 300 is massive for me, lol. -- biggest thing I could put in there anyway.
Got a 4,000 gallon koi pond going in outside for my big fish fix. :)

It'll be a learning process on the water change routine for sure. At the end of the day it will be a hands off automatic system though set up to work on timers and overflows into drains. I am on a well at this house, so my water conditions will be more stable than a city water feed that has gone thru their treatment plants and been chlorinated to hell and that comes from different sources depending on the time of year.

rbarn
09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Sump design is finished. I have a limited amount of vertical room but gobs of horizontal space so this one is set-up for lots of cross flow. This set-up is whisper quiet when dialed in just right with flow rates on the two feeds from the the overflow boxes. The up flow design ensures good and full flow thru the filter and bio media with minimum amount of water agitation to help maintain Co2 levels for the Ph and plant health. It will also have a sealed top to trap and concentrate any Co2 that does out gas in the sump.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sump1-1.jpg

BH71
09-12-2011, 01:14 AM
looking forward for this nice project.I have 240 g it is already big for me,300g wow

Northwoods Discus
09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Have you checked your water parameters from your well. Most well water is hard and alkaline. You may need to adjust it somehow usually with some R/O water added.

rbarn
09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I have always been told hard water is ok with Discus as long as it is consistent and you dont care about breeding. Something about the eggs wont develop right in hard water. And yes the water is pretty hard down here, regardless of source.

Northwoods Discus
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I think they will do better in water that is somewhat soft, even if you are not breeding. My well water is 450ppm and the pH can go over 8.4 after aging. I have to add some r/o to keep them happy. Breeding almost pure r/o. I have very high carbonate hardness. The only way to reduce it is r/o. You should get some testing equipment and test your parameters out of the tap and after aging.

rbarn
09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Ph will be controlled with Co2 injection for water stability and plant health. I'm lucky to have a good Discus guy (http://www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com/) here in town and we have had long talks on to R/O or not to R/O. And I really cant argue with his reasoning when he points to tank after tank of beautiful healthy fish and says "forget the R/O - consistency is the name of the game"

TallonD
09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I will be following this. I like the idea for your sump with multiple drains. Can't wait to see how it pans out!

CajunAg
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Seriously, let me know if you ever need an extra set of hands or anything, I'd love to help out.

jlcoop277
09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Should be a fun journal!

rbarn
09-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Got plans back from tank builder. Was pretty expensive, but is custom with Starfire front glass.
Wont be ready until late October

:(

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/300galtankdems.jpg

Cabinet maker finished layout on surrounding bookcase. Should look really nice.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/tankbookcase.jpg

Eclipes
09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
super cool!

DelawareJim
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
You might want to consider stronger lighting. My 110 high (48l x 18d x 30h) can't grow most foreground plants with a pair of 175 watt MH bulbs. A friend of mine uses a pair of 250's in his tank with much better results.

Cheers.
Jim

rbarn
11-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Going with 4 X 150W MH's and 4 X 96W PC's = 984 watts

WE HAVE TANK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
800 lbs behemoth got delivered and installed last week. Took 6 guys to get it in place.

Plumbing it up now.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/tank2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/tank1.jpg

fishcop444
11-19-2011, 05:16 AM
thats gonna be sweet!

YSS
11-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Great tank! Congrats. Good luck with everything.

mmd
11-19-2011, 11:12 AM
is that aragonite sand?, it will raise your ph.

rbarn
11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Got most of the under tank plumbing finished and starting on the sump this weekend. Will get some pics of the plumbing up later.

Also ordered the pumps and UV sterilizer this past week.

Went with (2) W.Lim Wave 1/15 hp 3,000 gph pumps and a pond sized W. Lim 40W UV sterilizer capable of flowing 4,000+gph. I will put about 1,000 gph through it. One pump will be for tank circulation and valved back to about 1,500-2,000 gph (5-7x per hour turn over) through the tank and the other pump will pull off of and return to the sump and circulate thru micron filters and bio-filters.

Lim Wave Series I pump (http://wlimproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17:wave-i-series&catid=1:water-pumps&Itemid=16) its the 1/15hp version. This guy's pumps are ultra quiet and ultra energy efficient. Pulls less than 150 watts each.

Lim Wave UV (http://wlimproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226:wave-uv&catid=9:ultraviolet-sterilizer-uv&Itemid=23) - the 40W version

Changed my sump plan to a multi filter sock design too. Will get the sump fabricated this weekend. I have all the acrylic and welding solvent here and ready to go.

I think this is fail safe. The main siphon should never back up. If the filter bags clog the water level will rise until it overflows into filter pad section. If filter pads clog the water level will rise until it overflows into the main pick up chamber and bypass all filters.

It has 2 emergency drains that can each handle full pump load individually.
This is called a "BeanAnimal" standpipe system from the guys over at reefcentral.
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

System should never have to be shut down for cleaning since the filter bags will pull out from the top while water is flowing down through them.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sump2-1.jpg

is that aragonite sand?, it will raise your ph.

Yeah, its Aragonite. It is not getting used. Told tank supplier I wanted some sand and that was what they dropped off with the tank.
Didnt pay attention to what it was until after they had left. Need to return it to them for refund.

dbfzurowski
11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I see a problem with your sump design. You have 95% of overflow water going to the bottom of your sump. I guarantee that all the debris will stay at the bottom. There will not be enough of water flow inside the sump to move it up. I would do the 95% at same location as 5% and straight into filter bags skipping the wasted space on the left. I would also look into moving bed bio media. Good luck

rbarn
11-19-2011, 04:25 PM
That would be too noisy. This design will be ultra silent. You would be surprised by how much up flow there will be in the first chamber. It will have its own drain as well and be able to be flushed out easily, so if stuff does settle in there that is fine too.

Some plumbing pics
The "Y" split is the return from the pump. I wanted to make sure flow was even on both outlets.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing1.jpg

discusjoe27
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
looks, nice, if i was a hamster I would get lost in all that plumming. of the 6 people, where you one of the people who carried it in? i had a 240 it took me,my brother, and at the time one of my brothers friends and his wife... if i ever get a bigt tank a again, i'm going to get more help.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
I supervised, lol. Local tank supplier that ordered the tank for me quoted "delivered" so she brought enough guys. I knew there was no way I would want to try it. They had 3 guys on each end and they were struggling. Spec sheet I ordered it from said 825 lbs. oooff

nc0gnet0
11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Curious on your UV selection, is this only to controll algea/green water? If not, your going to need a bigger unit to kill bacteria.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Curious on your UV selection, is this only to controll algea/green water? If not, your going to need a bigger unit to kill bacteria.

Yes, mainly for green control, but I thought it would help control pathogens too. It wont ? I'm trying to set-up the baddest of the bad system here. I can still return it for a bigger one. Lim makes some insanely monsterous sized UV lights. What do you recommend for pathogen control ? Besides water changes.........

nc0gnet0
11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Your problem is most pond uv units that accept higher gph flow are designed primarly with only green water control in mind. To accomplish a higher rated flow rate they do this by having a wider distance fron the quartz sleeve to the uv chamber external wall. This is why UV's made for aquariums tend to be narrower, allowing for more thorough penetration of the uv light throughout the water column.

The things you need to consider if killing pathogens is your target is turnover (gph), penetration, and contact time. For pathogen control the minimum turnover rate is 4x per hour that I would recomend. As for contact time and penetration, this is to be determined in part by the strength of your UV bulb (watts). In tanks that size, what you usually see is several UV units ran in parellel to reach the objective.

Without getting into the debate on whether or not UV systems are worth while, I can say that a single 40 watt uv on your system will do nothing more than control green water in my experience. I do not have the chart handy at the moment, but when I worked out the math, for my 50 gallon small juvie growout tank, I came up with a 36 watt UV at 200 gph for pathogen control.

Rick

rbarn
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM
How do you go about calculating proper exposure time ? UV light was intended just for green water control, but now you have me thinking of upping the plan.

pennex1
11-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey rbarn, Are you on the Corral and or the turbo forum? 11 Mustang? Just saw your sig. We have another hobby in common besides discus.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 04:40 PM
The one and only ....... Cant wait till this project is done and moved into the new house so I can have time to throw the Whipple on the Stang :bandana:

Chad Hughes
11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Looks pretty cool!

I'd skip the UV. IMHO they are worthless in an aquarium.

The site doesn't have a performance curve for the pump model you are wanting to use. You're going to have at least 10' of head from that I can see. I'd also ditch the second pump unless you want a backup. Some large setups actually employ two pumps that alternate. One runs for 24 hours, shuts off, then the other runs for 24 hours. I only use one pump per system. The largest system is 750 gallons and turns 40 GPM. It keeps the water super clean!

looking forward to your updates! :D

rbarn
11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Yep, the 2 pumps are ridiculous overkill. I really wanted to run 2 separate flow systems them though. 1 pump will be strictly for tank/sump circulation and probably bypass through the UV system and chiller to control flow rate. The 2nd pump will be a closed loop system off the sump that does nothing but flow thru 20 micron cartridge filters and then through bio-media. I know its a waste, but I really wanted the tank circulation pump to be doing that and only that.

You think head height will end being that bad ? 10' ? Top of the tank is only 5' 8" - I was figuring maybe a 7-8' head max. with all the friction loss.

Order (2) of the following micron cartridge filters day. Going to run them in parallel, and then run it to a series of Nu-Clear canisters with bio-media in them, then back to the sump.
http://aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1501/Cartridge-Filters-Large

http://aquaticeco.com/images/subcategories/large/VFL25_cmyk.jpg

Chad Hughes
11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, you'll have 10'+ head between the tank height and the plumbing friction/bends.

The cartridge filters are not going to work with your pump choice either. You'll go from 40 GPM to 40 GPH. You'll need a high head/pressure pump to power any filter other than a sump.

You may want to contact aquaticeco and ask what pumps they recommend for this particular filter.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
hmmm, thanks. will do some more research.

Looks like I'm gonna need a 3/4 to 1hp high pressure pump to put out 15-20psi and get decent flow through the canisters.

Thanks for the catch.

Chad Hughes
11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
No problem,

For what it's worth, a good sump design with micron sock filtration is really all you need. I use 36" micron socks in my 150 gallon sumps. I lay the socks in the sump sideways and plumb the overflow directly in to the sock. 100 or 200 micron socks is plenty of fine filtration. You can use multiples if you like. I use one per sump. In the larger setup I can stock about 300 discus and I feed beefheart. Once the feeding frezy begins it literally destroys the tanks with debris. My sump completely clears the water in an hour with 4 times per hours cycling.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Didnt think about laying the bags horizontal. Thats a good idea.
I got the flow curve from Lim on the 1/15hp pump. It flows 32gpm at 10' head height. Should be perfect for a 5-6x turn over on 300 gallon

What I will probably do is plumb up the to 1/15hp low pressure pumps in parallel with check valves, so like you said either alternate pumps, or have one already plumbed up and ready to turn on in case one fails.

Or maybe like you said, just run good filter bags and return the canister filters and I wont need a high press. pump and can keep same plan.

Chad Hughes
11-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Sounds good.

Remember to use swing check valves. It'll be easier on your pumps.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Performance curve for the 1/15th hp Wave pump ..... FYI

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/wave15thhp.jpg

Lance
11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I used to have a Reef tank with Metal Halides. They cost a lot to operate and put out a trimendous amount of heat. My wife always complained that we heated our house with electric lights. Thats why I had to have a chiller. When I switched to Ecoxotic 50w LED Pendents, not only did my electric bill drop but I seldom needed the chiller. Now that I have a planted Discus tank I have done away with the chiller and my plants do great under them. I have a 5' wide 175Gal.flat back hex that is 24" deep. I have 3 blue and 2 white lights. You might want to check them out before going with MH's. They don't put out hardly any heat and are cheap to operate. They aren't cheap to buy, but I figure it out and they would pay for themselves in 1 year in saved electricity.

rbarn
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to read up on LED's big time.

The GroBeam 1000 ND's look interesting as well. But cant seem to find a U.S. retailer for them yet.
http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/planted-tank/grobeam-1000.asp

Lance
11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
I have been very impressed with Ike at Ecoxotics. I put in my order on the day they released these lights. I spoke with him, he told me to try them out for a while and if i wanted to change colors just send them back and they would trade with me. I had a couple go out on me after a year and they replaced them on the spot. About 6 mos. later another went bad and they figured out the problem and sent me 5 new power units, even thow I( was not having problems with the others. One nice thing about LED's is the amount of penitration you get through the water. If you are building a 300 Gal. I would assume that you have some depth. Our house would get unbearably hot in the summer and my chiller would run almost constantly. This past summer I had to heat the tank all summer long as I keep my Discus tank at 86 Degrees. My electric bill dropped $100.00 per month. Definately check LED's out before you buy MH. I have read where LED's had issues with planted tanks, but I have no algea and I have to prune my plants about every 2 weeks. I have plants growing out of the top right now with flowers on them, Good Luck!

DerekFF
11-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Ive also heard about LED's on planted tanks and issues with algae (because lights come in white and blue mostly- others are available from certain companies) and the technology for them just isnt up to par yet in terms of reliability. They DOOOO however look GREAT when they do work and you can keep the algae at bay lol

rbarn
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I have been very impressed with Ike at Ecoxotics. I put in my order on the day they released these lights. I spoke with him, he told me to try them out for a while and if i wanted to change colors just send them back and they would trade with me. I had a couple go out on me after a year and they replaced them on the spot. About 6 mos. later another went bad and they figured out the problem and sent me 5 new power units, even thow I( was not having problems with the others. One nice thing about LED's is the amount of penitration you get through the water. If you are building a 300 Gal. I would assume that you have some depth. Our house would get unbearably hot in the summer and my chiller would run almost constantly. This past summer I had to heat the tank all summer long as I keep my Discus tank at 86 Degrees. My electric bill dropped $100.00 per month. Definately check LED's out before you buy MH. I have read where LED's had issues with planted tanks, but I have no algea and I have to prune my plants about every 2 weeks. I have plants growing out of the top right now with flowers on them, Good Luck!

Had nice long talk with Ike at Ecoxotic. After hanging up I went online and ordered 3x of their new elliptical 100W Cannon lights and 4x of their 48" 24W Stunner strips with a 12k/Magenta combo. The magenta is to add in some of the reds missing in the 12k 100W lights. Thinking of ordering some of the RGB strips too that you can adjust to any color for highlighting. Like some blueish/green light to make the plants pop a little or some yellow if the 12k lighting is a little too harsh. All fixtures are infinitely dimmable and controllable through the Neptune Apex controller I am going to use.

Not cheap at about $2,500 for lights.

Chad Hughes
11-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I want your budget. :D

rbarn
11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I want your budget. :D

What budget ? ....... rofl.

Chad Hughes
11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Exactly. :D

Let me know when you're ready to stock that puppy!

Lance
11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
I know LED's are not cheap. I have about $2700 invested in the 5 lights I have, but the savings in electric and cooling will pay for it. They penitrate the water better and with the comboination of the 12000k and blue, not only do your plants look great but it really brings out the colors of your Discus, especially the reds and blues.

Lance
11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
You won't be sorry, and living in Tx. you will appreciate the coolness of those lights. I agree with you if you are going to do this, do it right from the getgo. I have about $5000 into my 175 gal. plus fish. But I have a system that works, is low maintenance and looks great.

walt3
11-24-2011, 12:50 PM
i use some spot light leds to compliment my single compact flourescent and it looks great! like a sun beam into the tank! just gorgeous!

Lance
11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I hang my pendents about 17" above the water, as they have more of a concentrated beam than the MH's. That way the beams blend together and I don't have bright spots. I have a blue on either end and one in the middle, and a 12000k on the inside edge of each of the outter blue ones and it evens it all out pretty good.

rbarn
11-24-2011, 03:43 PM
The new 100W Cannons have a much wider light spread than the original 50W spot Cannons. Ike said it was designed to throw a 24" X 36" light foot print vs. the 50W's more focused beam. Only needed 3 of the 100W's to light an 8' long tank.

rbarn
11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I had a buddy run the calculations for pathogen killing on my 40W UV. And I will need to cut flow in half or run 2 in parallel and I should get good pathogen exposure. He said he ran the numbers with 60% bulb efficiency too. I will order 1 or 2 more of same UV and add them to the system.

So I had my cartridge filters show up and learning they need a high pressure pump to work right I was scratching my head on what to do with them. Decided they would make excellent moving bed bio filters with a little modifying. Going to run 3 or 4 in parallel. I think it should work well, and moving bio bend filtering with these little round ridged media is supposed to be the greatest thing in bio filtration.

http://aquaticeco.com/images/subcategories/large/VFL25_cmyk.jpg

Start off with empty filter housing. This nothing but a Pentair LifeGuard RTL pool filter cartridge housing. They come in 3 sizes.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/biofilter1.jpg

Cut some slots in the top of exit tube that is normally inside the cartridge filter and wedge a piece of plastic egg crate in there to block it off. I also drilled a bunch of holes in the side of the tube open the flow some more and give it a more random flow. Trimmed out the bottom of a cheap pool skimmer basket and enlarged the holes some with a drill to create a bottom plate for the media to rest on.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/biofilter3.jpg

Had a big bag of W.Lim sinking bio media left over from the koi pond project so that worked out perfect.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/biofilter4.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/biofilter2.jpg

rbarn
12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase1.jpg

rbarn
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Tested well water today with water filter sales rep.

TDS - 1,100 - wow
PH - 7.5
Carbonate Hardness - 13 grains per gallon - wow liquid rock
Iron - 0.5 ppm - not super high, but not low either

Looking into a whole house 300-500 gpd RO system now with softner and iron filter.

Chad Hughes
12-02-2011, 04:29 PM
That is the highest TDS I've ever seen. KH here in San Diego is usually about 12 grains and our pH is nearly 8 with TDS of 400~600. I'd get a second opinion or buy your own TDS meter. A good whole house system is going to run you close to $10,000. YIKES!!

rbarn
12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/pumps1.jpg

aXio
12-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Is that a chiller?

rbarn
12-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Is that a chiller?

Yeah, I don't think it will run much if at all, but I wanted total temperature control for any situation. The water does get pretty warm in the summer down here just coming out of the tap. It's not a very big chiller for the tank size. Just a 1/5hp. My "equipment room" is a sunroom with no climate control so it may pick up some heat from being out there in a 85-90* "room" in the summer. When it was 105* this summer that room stayed at about 90*. Plus there is pump heat and 160 watts of UV lights.

rbarn
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Last of the plumbing parts I have been waiting for showed up today.
$1,000 bucks in digital flow meters. One big one for each of the returns off the two pumps and the smaller 1" pipe one will go on the chiller bypass circuit so I know how much flow it is getting.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/flowmeter2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/flowmeter1.jpg

Gohans_Onna
12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow...I'm just wondering, what do you do for a living? Seems like you have a lot of money to spend >.>

rbarn
12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Had a lot of money to spend you mean ..............

I sell cranes. Wanna buy one ? Make you a great deal. They make for great stocking stuffers

Stag
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
haha, it is nice to see such a GRAND project. keep the photo updates coming.

HKN
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
that's alot of work...should be an amazing tank...

rbarn
12-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Trim carpenter did a really nice job. Ready for some stain.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase4.jpg

I have also started in earnest on getting the plumbing run through the walls and out to the "pump room"

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing4.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing5.jpg

zhasan
12-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Simply WAO! I'm envious and impressed! Good Luck and I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product!

sayitfast
12-09-2011, 02:38 AM
That's going to be so kewl when completed... very nice!

GrillMaster
12-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I wanna sell cranes! Or you can adopt me... Im old but if you can get past that. :p

Beautiful tank my friend! Like the others said, Cant wait to see it filled up!

rbarn
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Slowly but surely. Hoping that was the hard part. Sumps are done, just need to build a platform out in the sunroom to start setting everything on.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing6.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing7.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing8.jpg

jay973
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
All I can say WOW!!!! I'm definitely following this tank.

rbarn
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Bookcase is stained and I got the pump platform finished and in place. This is the final layout for everything as well. I think I have all the routing worked out in my head pretty good.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase6.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase5.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing9.jpg

Second Hand Pat
12-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Love the hinged top above the tank. That will make getting into and out of the tank easy. I had something similar with a 180 built into the wall.

YSS
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Looking real good!

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 01:42 AM
that is unreal, very nice

Louiep
12-17-2011, 01:30 AM
Nice wood work!! Can't wait to see it up and running.

Assassynation
12-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice work and Subscribed!

shoveltrash
12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
yep, another peep here who will avidly be following your progress! http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/haushalt/g025.gif
MY GOD that is one phenomenal setup................are you doing all your own plumbing?

rbarn
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Yes, I am doing everything else except for the cabinetry. Just dont trust anyone to do it the way I would want. It's fairly over complicated but it's a dream tank for me, so going all out.

Knircky
12-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Will be following. What a tank!

wmccree
12-22-2011, 11:43 PM
That is amazing. I love following this.

BillyinNYC
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Gorgeous build! Can't wait to see it decorated and stocked....oh, the plants and discus that tank could support!! After seeing these pictures, I may have to just move out of Manhattan and buy a house with a fish-room!

rbarn
12-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Bit of a slow down with the holiday distractions, but still making some progress.

Have most of the pump room sub-assemblies glued together and pressure tested for leaks. Rigged up an adapter to clamp on to each modular part, then pressurize it up to 20+ psi which is 5-10 times the psi it will be operating at (pumps wont even make over 7psi) and sprayed all glued joints with soapy water. Should not have any leak surprises this way.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing11.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing12.jpg

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Absolutely amazing! I love the custom touch and all the high tech goodies. Cant wait to see it in operation with a bunch of discus. I dont know if a discus can smile, but if they can, they will be smiling from gill to gill. Lol...

crazycracker
01-01-2012, 11:11 AM
that is amazing. Can't wait 2 see some fish & everything running. Amazing Job.

rbarn
01-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Starting final assembly

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing13.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing14.jpg

judy
01-03-2012, 01:20 AM
holy cr*p. amazing. cannot wait to see this monster stocked!

Lytehouse
01-03-2012, 01:47 AM
saved your hide to have a room to run all this plumbing too.
trying to work under the stand would have been killer.

Very nice build all around

Cosgrovb
01-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Wow. Great job

rbarn
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Pump flow control bypass plumbing

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing15.jpg

rbarn
02-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I decided to go ahead and seal and climate control my pump room / sun room, so bit of a slow down trying to stay out of carpenter's way.

The painters have also had to refinish the clear coat on the bookcase trying to meet my demands for perfection on the finish. For as much as I am getting charged for it I am making them make it perfect .... even they have to do it 50 times. They finally managed to put the clear coat on without putting a huge run in it somewhere. Looks fantastic.

Got started on the new pump platform and getting it boxed in as well. (original one ended up being a little too small)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom5.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom4.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/sunroom6.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/plumbing16.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bookcase8.jpg

pseudocaesar
02-06-2012, 03:05 AM
All i can say is wow... I wish I had that much time and money!

zhasan
02-06-2012, 04:00 AM
All i can say is wow... I wish I had that much time and money!

Ditto! One day.. maybe!!

shoveltrash
02-06-2012, 05:57 AM
me too me too. very envious indeed!
I like your pond too.....do you have koi?

BillyinNYC
02-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Impressive as they are, I've seen all the construction photos I care to see....now bring on the aquascape and the fish! Given all your attention to detail, I can't wait to see the beautiful set-up completed!

rbarn
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Trust me I'm sick of screwing with it too. Be a while before it's ready for fish though :(

aalbina
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Trust me I'm sick of screwing with it too. Be a while before it's ready for fish though :(

You can just jump in that v-tail and get to Kenny or Hans in no time to pick up your fish!! Awesome build - never seen anything like it! Top notch.

Adam

rbarn
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Had to sell the V-tail in 2007 to cut back on expenses when everything went to hell in a hand basket :(
Talk about a money pit. Been thinking about getting another plane lately though. I miss it a lot.

aalbina
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Had to sell the V-tail in 2007 to cut back on expenses when everything went to hell in a hand basket :(
Talk about a money pit. Been thinking about getting another plane lately though. I miss it a lot.

That's too bad - well I guess the mustang will have to do!

Adam

TexasDiscus!!
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Wowy wow wow

Chunks
02-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Wow the best looking HiDef flat screen in any lounge room I have ever seen! :) how many discus are you planing to put in there? How are you heating it?

rbarn
02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
10-12 discus with some clean up crew for company.

pair of 300 watt heaters in the sump for heat.

FischAutoTechGarten
02-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Your tank dimensions are 96" L, 24" W, 30" D?

I ask because one of the drawings appears to indicate 36" D? but that can't be correct, or you'd have a 360 gal tank.

rbarn
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Drawings are wrong. Tank is 96 X 24 X 31 - 300 gallon.

I really wanted to do a 96 X 36 X 31 - 500 gallon, but it would have stuck out too far into the room and looked funny.

YSS
02-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I really wanted to do a 96 X 36 X 31 - 500 gallon, but it would have stuck out too far into the room and looked funny.

This would have been one hell of a tank...

Reggae_Ripan
02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
WOW ! I have not ever seen something like this, a real rolemodel for me ! Simply amazing hightech set-up right there !

boxhead1990
02-12-2012, 02:17 AM
you sir are a bad influence as that right there would be close to what i want to acheive when i go up to a bigger tank later in the year

gunna look awsome too!

rbarn
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
In case yall were wondering what the rest of this room looks like. This is the main den in the middle of the house.
They laid the carpet down yesterday. Box over the fireplace is for the flat screen. It will be stained to match as well.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/den4.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/den2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/den3.jpg

aXio
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Now that is one spiffy room =)

boxhead1990
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
now i wish i had a lounge room with a nice big tank in it too haha all in good time i spose

Sent from my iPhone

Assassynation
03-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Very nice!

typicalalex1
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Looking forward to the finished product!

inmisawa
03-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Beautiful and fantastic! Can't wait to see the final product!

joeymac
03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Now what way do you face the couch? Towards the tank or the flatscreen? Lol. I hung my 55" up on the wall directly above my tank

vizkid2005
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Awesome Tank There .. Can`t wait to see fish in it ...
Best of Luck ..
I`m definitely going to subscribe to this thread !!!!

walt3
03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
if i had to pick it would face the tank. screw tv! even hd.. whatever... thats just me though.:)

rwong2k
03-10-2012, 03:58 PM
That is one nice looking room cant wait to see more photos

benico
03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
This is one hell of a setup!

dprais1
03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
speechless

1Chuck9669
03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Agreed!!!

speechless

MightyEvil
03-22-2012, 06:18 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

rbarn
03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies guys. Project is still on hold while I finish a myriad of other projects and get moved into this new house. Getting real close now. Dont give up on me.

Rummy
03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the nice replies guys. Project is still on hold while I finish a myriad of other projects and get moved into this new house. Getting real close now. Dont give up on me.

Was getting worried.

shoveltrash
03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
WOW - absolutely stunning!!!! love love love that room :)

MightyEvil
03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh, I am not worried, you are waaaay too deep in the rabbit hole to quit!!! All we need is patience...

boxhead1990
04-01-2012, 12:37 AM
i love how its coming along have to copy some ideas at some point ;)

Sent from my iPhone

BABYJIZAY
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Some girls will be fantasizing and dreaming about Zac Efron or George Clooney... I will be moaning in my sleep for weeks to come because of this tank.

;)

zoozoo
04-18-2012, 03:10 AM
legit project here

mhx
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
here to watch! cool setup..

Lt shinysides
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
That's a fantastic setup congrats!!
Lee

wavesurfer
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Great tank/room setup and marvellous house you have there! I wonder how much of the land outside your house belongs to you?

I wanna sell cranes too! :D

PS: Subscribed to thread and awaiting your updates~

rbarn
04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the nice remarks guys. Tank has just been on hold while work on other projects on this house.
I have a little over 5 acres. About 2 acres in the front and 3 acres in the back yard. Half the 3 acres in the back is densely wooded.

just put down a deposit on a new John Deere mini-tractor to help speed up the outside projects.

One thing I am trying to get done is to get a small "wetland" drainage area ready on the side of the house dug out and landscaped with some bog type plants. The new pool and decking drain system is dumping a lot of water out there when it rains. I am also going to be draining daily water changes from this tank out to that same spot too since I cant be dumping 150-200 gallons into my septic system without causing issues. So 150+ gallons a day is going to need to go somewhere and not cause a mess.

Got one of these, complete with backhoe attachment coming in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaybN1wkHQ

yusufm52
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Wow!! your build is amazing, we have a saying in hindi " dil se banaya hai" meaning made from the heart hope that everything turns out the way you want to..
Best Of Luck.

P.S. subscribed to this thread. :)

kamfa
04-26-2012, 02:49 AM
All I can say is "Amazing"

BostonEric
05-13-2012, 01:27 PM
I'll agree with that awesome

scrappinjaime
05-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Totally a beautiful tank. Wow, is the only words I can come up with. You are a very fortunate person and thank you for sharing with us. I would not even know where to begin with a project like this. I have only had one discus for a week. My others are arriving on the 22nd. So I am a total newbie :)

scottyk
05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Incredible. Very nice project, I especially love the wood work. You my friend, are an inspiration. Now, I need a bigger HOUSE! LOL

trusty
05-17-2012, 12:15 AM
more pics please

Poco
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
WOW. Awesome project. It will be great to see more pics with fish inside.

West Ham Utd
05-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Amazing setup.Can't wait to see the finished piece of art.

Pembulls
05-20-2012, 05:10 PM
That's a fantastic setup congrats!!
Lee

I agree with Lee here fantastic set up

I have just set up a 300 US gallon set up over in the UK but its nothing like this, mine is just a straight forward sump set up with a continous flow system and overflow pipe ,this puts mine to shame well done very nice.

rbarn
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Ok guys, so I got started in earnest on my "Bog Garden" where my water change water is going to end up. Again I'm on a septic tank, if I start dumping an extra 100-200 gallons of water every day in there its going to cause some issues in the long run. This is a lot of water to keep these discus happy, it's gotta go somewhere......

It will just have some simple fountain or pond air bubbler to provide some circulation to keep mosquitoes from breeding. you can put all kinds of cool carnivorous bog plants in something like this too. Should look really cool in a couple of years.

Luv'n the new tractor too ;)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/3e-8.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/2e-8.jpg

rubinsteinnyc
05-21-2012, 06:51 PM
i'd have a few pigeons lofts in there
nice space

shoveltrash
05-22-2012, 07:55 AM
I got started in earnest on my "Bog Garden" where my water change water is going to end up. Again I'm on a septic tank, if I start dumping an extra 100-200 gallons of water every day in there its going to cause some issues in the long run. This is a lot of water to keep these discus happy, it's gotta go somewhere......
what a great idea! I have septic too, and have to drain into an outside storage barrel to prevent septic issues (water for flower beds). even so, my RO waste water output is causing some seepage up to the surface in the back yard :(. I need to figure out how do this! and run RO waste water to it........
again, GREAT idea.
and btw I'm very very jealous of your backhoe. I have an old Massey Ferguson tractor w/bucket, but no backhoe!

brianyam
05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Wow. Amazing set up. Makes my 3xEheim 2217 on my 210G looks too old school compared to this set up.

TNT77
05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
what a great idea! I have septic too, and have to drain into an outside storage barrel to prevent septic issues (water for flower beds). even so, my RO waste water output is causing some seepage up to the surface in the back yard :(. I need to figure out how do this! and run RO waste water to it........
again, GREAT idea.
and btw I'm very very jealous of your backhoe. I have an old Massey Ferguson tractor w/bucket, but no backhoe!
Is there any way you can run the ro waste out to water the horses?

ialtalal
05-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Wow this awesome

scubajustin
05-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Amazing – that is all that I can say! Keep the updates coming!

Justin

shoveltrash
05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Is there any way you can run the ro waste out to water the horses?hi Tara! well.......that's a big logistics problem, as pasture/barn are a LONG ways away from the house. I've thought of consulting a plumber, just to come check out my setup and possibly help me with ideas for streamlining it. I should do this!

zchauvin
05-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Lets see some more filtration pics!!!

yusufm52
05-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Can't wait to see the finished tank.. by the when is that happening? :)

rbarn
05-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Can't wait to see the finished tank.. by the when is that happening? :)

Beats me, I thought I would be done 2 months ago.

yusufm52
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Beats me, I thought I would be done 2 months ago.

Lolz.. can completely understand the point, i my self was in to making a 230 gal tank which was supposed to be completed in 2mth but still havn't even started yet, because of something or the other thing coming up.

rbarn
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Got one big hole in the backyard now. Shame to fill it back in.

60' X 10+' X 18-20" deep
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/5e-2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/4e-4.jpg

Jonnywhoop
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
^ whats the hole for?

rbarn
05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
^ whats the hole for?

See post #140 and #150 on previous page.

yusufm52
06-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Thats one big hole...;)

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

juanchocarne
06-01-2012, 08:02 AM
exelent post, you'er doing an amazing job...

cheer's

zhasan
12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
What stage is this amazing build at? An update with lots of pics please!!!!

rbarn
12-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Nothing new unfortunately. Still dry and empty. I have been focusing on making sure my 5,000 gallon outdoor aquarium is up and running correctly. One tank at a time....... I think I have it stabilized and self sustaining now. Cant wait until the Koi get 2-3' long in a few years.

7' deep and crystal clear.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/koi2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/koi3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/koi1.jpg

yusufm52
12-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Really nice pond. What kind of equipment are you using for it.

-Yusufm

Eddie
12-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Pool size!

rbarn
12-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Really nice pond. What kind of equipment are you using for it.

-Yusufm

The Koi are very cool. Even just at 8" and less than a year old they immediately see me when I walk up and start begging for food.

The big sand filter is full of plastic bio-media instead of sand, massive HO UV light and a vortex separator off the bottom drains

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/pooldig29.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/pooldig19.jpg

yusufm52
12-30-2012, 12:54 AM
I noticed that Eddie, what i meant was what exact equipment is he using.. :)

-Yusufm

discusplantedtanklover
12-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Hat off for your project.

YSS
12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Very cool! That is my next project.

SMB2
01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Heat the pool and put the Discus in there...

After reading your set up, I think you mentioned heaters in the sump and a chiller. Have you considered combination units? They might be more efficient for such a large system.
http://www.pacificcoastimports.com/products.cfm?c=22

nwehrman
01-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Nice build thread! Love the pond and the tank! Can't wait for the tank to get wet!!

Pardal
01-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Awesome building project as many before has stated can't wait to see the final product.

chipmunk636
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Impressed by the built for sure !!! Thats a lots of works !

On another note , can we see a pic of that 800 hp beast?! I also have one also but with "only" 450 rwhp !

discus6628
01-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow! can't wait to see this finish product and discus in it.

rbarn
01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Impressed by the built for sure !!! Thats a lots of works !

On another note , can we see a pic of that 800 hp beast?! I also have one also but with "only" 450 rwhp !

It's a work in progress as well. It's in pieces right now, swapping in a new built engine, 6 speed trans and whipple s/c

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/305tires3.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/stangparts.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/magXL1.jpg

I also put a supercharger on my 2012 Ford Raptor a few months ago. One of the things that put the discus tank on hold.
Raptor s/c install was pretty easy. Made 497rwhp or about 625hp at the flywheel at 10psi of boost ....... too many damn hobbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhbURo4QYLY

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/bumper2-1.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/whip14.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/dyno1-1.jpg

Eddie
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Man! That FORD is awesome!

chipmunk636
01-02-2013, 10:15 PM
AWESOME !!!

That is gonna be a fun car for sure , will it see the strip or only street car ?

I think i see Nitto drag radial on the back

good luck with both the tank and the car !!

Is posting mine with a model considered thread highjack ?:D

rbarn
01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Send me a PM. Car is mostly just a street brawler. limited track use and maybe some road course runs. The truck is freak'n awesome. Thing sounds like there is a jet engine under the hood.

I'll have some more tank pics here in a few days. I've been working in earnest on it the last few days trying to figure out and start fabricating the system that will hold all the lights and be able to be raised and lowered easily.

YSS
01-04-2013, 03:48 PM
What kind of gas mileage are you getting on both cars?

ZX10R
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM

Probably as much as the space shuttle gets be my guess :D

Poco
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Probably as much as the space shuttle gets be my guess :D

Pretty much :)

rbarn
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
The truck drinks gas. It got about 13mpg before the s/c. It gets 9-10mpg now.
The Mustang should be better. Trans that is going in it has a very high overdrive gear. Hoping I can push 28+mpg at 65mph on the freeway in it.

With your foot in it, they both get about 2 gallons per mile.

The truck really is a blast. I've had it over 100mph off road going down the beach and all four wheels off the ground Duke's of Hazzard style. Takes a lick'n and comes back for more. I've also destroyed many a "sports car" on the road. Look on their face when that blower winds up and starts screaming is priceless.

bwssr
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Are there any pictures of this aquarium with fish in it?

Kal-El
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM

When your car has that much HP gas mileage isn't the goal or worries anymore... this beast of your made me miss my 400HP Evo 10. Love how you have your car looking stock... I can only imagine the face of the cars you have burn thinking that have you won easily...

rbarn
01-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Some more progress.

I really wanted to mount the 100W LED's to a track mount so that I could easily fine tune their layout. Finally figured out to use window curtain track. Tracked down a local supplier and went picked up a couple of 12' sections of their heavy duty track.

This is the track used
http://www.curtain-tracks.com/hardware/ceiling-mounted/recmar-3120-extra-heavy-duty-curtain-track-12-feet.html

Then I used a 5/16 bolt with washer to slide into the track and mount the light bracket to. This puts the lights 18" above the water which is the minimum distance recommended by Ecoxotic.

There will be 3 of these lights plus 2 rows of magenta stunner strippers and 4 of the Ecoxotic 6,500k Panorma modules. I think I will add one more curtain track a few inches closer to the front of the tank too, to give me another mounting option to play with.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlighttrk.jpg

rbarn
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Lighting rack system is finished. Now just have to take it all back down so I can mount a piece of plywood along the back wall and fill it with power supplies, power strips and computer control modules.

The bottom racks hold the stunner strips and are hinged at the back. I will have a string coming down to hold them up near the 100w cannons.

The middle rack high up behind the cannons is where the row of Ecoxotic freshwater 1w LED modules will go. They are the 6,700k LED's with a few 453mm blues for accent. Hoping these will blend out the colors and not make the lighting so harsh and super white from the 12k cannons.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight7.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight8.jpg

rbarn
01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Wall of power supplies going up behind the lights. High voltage connections will be wired up in the little junction boxes and low voltage will be wired up with sealed Deutsch connectors for easy swap out later on it a power supply goes out.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/LEDdrivers.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/dstchconntr.jpg

rbarn
02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight10_zpsfba13bb8.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight9_zps42e6caec.jpg

FischAutoTechGarten
02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Will these LEDs be dimmable? Will they operate from 0-10v or 12-24v? I ask because I am constructing a multi-channel (16 to 24 channels) lighting fixture using LEDs.... But am struggling with the decision to arrange and operate them from 0-10v or 12-24v.... from my DIY controller. just curious as to what high-end lighting vendors are doing. Presently, it appears to be split down the middle.

Can you share with us what you are planning in terms of sunrise/sunset, storms and moonlight simulation?

rbarn
02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Will these LEDs be dimmable? Will they operate from 0-10v or 12-24v? I ask because I am constructing a multi-channel (16 to 24 channels) lighting fixture using LEDs.... But am struggling with the decision to arrange and operate them from 0-10v or 12-24v.... from my DIY controller. just curious as to what high-end lighting vendors are doing. Presently, it appears to be split down the middle.

Can you share with us what you are planning in terms of sunrise/sunset, storms and moonlight simulation?

The LED's themselves get 24V's from the Mean Well power supplies. the 0-10v is supplied to the power supply from the APEX controller and tells the power supply to dim the lights. And yes they will be dimmable.

The red/black wires are the power leads to the lights and the blue/white are the dimmer leads that go to the controller.

I will have to play with sunrise/set options as I get into it.

FischAutoTechGarten
02-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the response.. That's generally what I'm seeing...most manufacturers are scaling a control signal of 0-10v to correspond to lamp power of 12-24v. I'm considering having the lamps direct plug into my unit..I will just throttle the outputs between 12-24v directly. That leaves all of the logic in my controller and controller output modules....which allows for inexpensive 'dumb' lights capable of dimming.

I think the Apex controller will allow you to reference a calendar that will yield sunrise/sunset, moon phases, moonrise/moonset and hi/lo tides.
Keep us informed and let us know what your impressions are of the Apex controller! Kudos to those guys for reaching that $349 price point.

rbarn
02-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Calgon take me away ........... ugh

slowly making progress on the lighting system wire harness. Should look really nice and clean when its all done.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight11_zps01592f91.jpg

Herbicidal
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
OK, have to ask, think any Discus are going in the tank this year? ;)

Jeff O
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
OK, have to ask, think any Discus are going in the tank this year? ;)
+1

rbarn
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I am hoping by late summer I can place an order with Hans. Was working on it till 11 last night.

Kevin C
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
That's awesome!

Herbicidal
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I am hoping by late summer I can place an order with Hans. Was working on it till 11 last night.Cool. Looking forward to seeing some Discus in there as I'm sure you are too. :)

rbarn
02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Wire harness is done. The APEX controller, (2x) 8 outlet energy bar and LED dimming control module will be mounted in the empty space to the right. UPS is supposed to be here Monday with it.

The empty space in the center is reserved for a spot to mount an auto-feeder of some kind.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight12_zpsa540ae2b.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight13_zpsdc0b55b2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight14_zpsdd81812b.jpg

rbarn
02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
So I've been trying to figure out how to put an alarm into the system that will detect flow. So if a pump ever fails the system will react properly and alert me.

Found these flow switches.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/images/subcategories/medium/ST9_new_rgb.jpg

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1214/In-Line-Flow-Switches
It's a got a little electrical contact switch that closes at 14gpm and opens back up at 6gpm or less. This can be wired into the Apex controller to see when the switch opens and closes and it can send me a text/email and if it is on the chiller/UV circuit it can turn off the equipment as well to keep anything from getting damaged.

FischAutoTechGarten
02-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I went a similar route myself... But rather than a flow switch, I went with a flow transmitter. Allows me to do instaneous flow, as well as periodic flow totalizing. Just need to set a low threshold limit so that my controller will issue the 'lo flow' or 'no flow' alarm when appropriate. I went with a smallish flow meter, only .8 to 7.6 lpm.... that's translates to 12-120gph (7.6 * 0.264172052 * 60). The transmitter delivers the values via an RS232 string, so you have to have something with a bit of smarts communicating with it. (Don't know what the Apex offers in term of serial comm) (I'm only using a 30 gal tank to prove-out my controller and components so a larger unit would have it's potential go unrealized. But for a tank your size, the same manufacturer offers a 1200gph and 1800gph size.)

rbarn
02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Apex and related modules are mounted. Think I'm going to make up a small 3 sided cover box for the wires under the Apex. Clean it up a little and hide stuff.

Ran out of Deutsch connectors to finish the dimming wiring, but thats pretty much it.

Boards will be painted white and I'll post some pics of it mounted above the aquarium in a few days.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight15_zps9bd7b103.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight16_zps94b56e40.jpg

FischAutoTechGarten
02-13-2013, 12:46 AM
nice clean setup. love to see someone take such pride in their work! will you install that second strip in the bottom cabinet below the tank to control pump, dosing, CO2 fertilisation, UV sterilizers, etc? Or do you have lots more being installed in the hood (eg. that autofeeder you mentioned.) still?

rbarn
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
The other power strip is staying there. I have plans for it.

bwssr
02-14-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't know if I missed it but where are the discus in that 300 gallon tank???

rbarn
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't know if I missed it but where are the discus in that 300 gallon tank???

They are on page 33 of this thread

bwssr
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
It only goes up to 14 pages.

Herbicidal
02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
It only goes up to 14 pages.No Discus yet. I think he means by the time this journal hits the 33rd page, he'll have some Discus in there. :p

rbarn
02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Lots left to do. Made a list this morning.

finish lighting
set-up and test the APEX system
finish plumbing to pump room
install ventilation system to remove humidity
finish running outside drain through outer wall
install gas shocks on door above aquarium
install leak detection system
install R/O system with storage tank
install and build Co2 tank rack and system
finish pump room filter and sump system
build sump
build and paint cabinets in pump room
fill and check for leaks
drain and scape tank
refill and cycle

I'm sure I missed about a dozen things in that list. 100+ hours of work in that list alone

rbarn
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Starting final install of lighting system. Sorry for the pink pics, using the magenta stunner strips as temporary work lights. I plan on mounting some 12" stunner strips in just straight 12k or 8k white dimmed to 5% for night lights, these will also serve as canopy lights at 100% triggered by a switch that the APEX will see when the door opens

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight17_zps7be00329.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight18_zpscc593822.jpg

rbarn
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight19_zps7ecc1b66.jpg

rbarn
03-01-2013, 09:30 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight21_zps1f24fdca.jpg

rbarn
03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight27_zpsd32d5f6b.jpg

and i-pad controlled :D

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqipad1_zps3bae71ba.jpg

Assassynation
03-24-2013, 04:53 PM
That's really cool, can you set the times individually on the ipad?

rbarn
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
That's really cool, can you set the times individually on the ipad?

yep, and dimming levels. The lights will slowly come on from right to left and slowly dim down at night to mimic the sun passing overhead.

Quinton
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Out of interest, what has this kind of system set you back so far?

rbarn
03-24-2013, 05:43 PM
The whole thing ? $30k
The controller ? about $1k

Quinton
03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
The whole thing as in just the lighting system yes?

rbarn
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Whole thing = custom bookcase, custom tank, everything

Lighting = apx $2,500 for everything
(4x - 24watt magenta stunner strips, 3x 100watt Cannons, 4x 15watt Panorama Freshwater modules + power supplies)

Played with dimming and I think I have the levels set about where I am going to want them
System is pulling 1.1 amps total and I would call it a "high light" brightness. 0.4 watts per gallon shows the extreme efficiency LED's are capable of.
T5's or Metal Halides would be consuming 5-6 times as much power for same light level - at least.

Kal-El
03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
This is such a kick A$$ setup... cannot wait to see how everything is once you have Discus in it... BTW, are you doing this all by yourself or professional doing the install/config?

rbarn
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
All myself. I didnt trust anyone else to do it to the level I was wanting, ..... thats why its taking so long.
I've kept aquariums and terrariums for decades. so this tank has been 20 years in the dreaming and planning.

I had a professional cabinet maker come in to make the bookcase is only outside work I've had done.

Kal-El
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
All myself. I didnt trust anyone else to do it to the level I was wanting, ..... thats why its taking so long.
I've kept aquariums and terrariums for decades. so this tank has been 20 years in the dreaming and planning.

I had a professional cabinet maker come in to make the bookcase is only outside work I've had done.

That's amazing... you are one talented guy... ;)

Red Turk
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
haha wow.. this setup is extreme !

Whats sort of time frame are you looking at on stocking ? Cant wait to see some Discus in this thing.

rbarn
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Who knows. It would be nice to have water in there around the end of the summer and discus 3-6 months after that. Not going to rush putting $1-2,000 worth of fish in a brand new tank before its had time to settle in and get established.

Little teaser
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqlight28_zpsf21b76ef.jpg

FischAutoTechGarten
03-27-2013, 05:23 PM
You almost need someone standing next to it to appreciate how large it is. Those pieces of driftwood are very big.

rbarn
03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Went and picked up some manzzi wood from Dan at Gulf Coast Discus today talked to them about starting to look around for some high quality 5-6" brown Alenquer discus for me.
Decided I really want some fish that look like this.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/NhamundaBlueTank0013-1.jpg

so this is the basic hard scape look I will be shooting for. might change, but not by much. It seems to me discus love to hide under branches, so I'm going to try and elevate the manzi up off the sand as much as possible and tie anubias and java fern and moss to the branches to mimic a tree branch drooping down into the water.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqscape1_zps94d04211.jpg

rbarn
03-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Got the blower side of the vent system made this morning.

2 of these boxes will be on top of and outside the bookcase and will blower air into the canopy. I wanted to make sure I did not have a bunch of light shooting up through these holes and ruining the look so I made these baffled boxes.

Was a little worried the baffling would restrict air flow too much, but the air coming out is strong enough to blow out a lighter for 12" away, so I think it should be good. I used Silnex 120mm fans and they are absolutely dead silent. Can not hear them at all sitting right next to it.

This is how they will sit on top of the canopy, blowing air down into it.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqvent3_zpsb2d16dd6.jpg

This is the internal baffling
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqvent5_zps44504855.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqvent6_zpsdd53a34d.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqvent4_zpse3d1032c.jpg

rubinsteinnyc
03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
abt the HIGH QUALITY fish, have you seen santarem discus catalog on FB, those fish look like they were drawn with a compas...

FischAutoTechGarten
04-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I use silinex fans in my mini-ITX PC... absolutely silent. Very nice work man!

Chad Hughes
04-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Looks great! I'm afraid to ask how much $$$ that cost. :(

rbarn
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
not bad, all things considered. the bookcase sub-contractor was the most expensive thing by far.

dm.67
04-18-2013, 03:33 PM
This has got be one of the most eagerly anticipated tanks ever put on the site. I really hope you get some Alenquers to match the quality of everything else about the tank. They will be one lucky group of fish.

Allwin
04-18-2013, 03:41 PM
My favorite build journal thread,keep going and thanks for sharing!!!

ltgoof
04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
All I can say is Wow! I can't wait until this is complete.

Please keep the update coming. Thanks for sharing.

Pickled_Herring
04-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Wow truly a dream system.

rbarn
04-19-2013, 07:27 PM
thanks guys, nothing new. other priorities right now.

Gene
04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I've been following this for a while now. I jump to it every time I see you've updated, hoping it's got some fish in it!! I feel like I'm emotionally invested in this project lol..

rbarn
05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Plumbing and vent ducting through the walls. tore everything out and redid it in Schd 80. Stuff is not cheap. Making (2) 90* turns through (2) walls was a serious PITA to do by myself.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqpluming1_zps47159760.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqpluming2_zpsc37618b5.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqpluming3_zpsce3fc000.jpg

FischAutoTechGarten
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Nice attention to detail as always. All your work has a nice quality look to it!

What is the purpose of the venting? You will be venting the area underneath the tank?

rbarn
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Venting is to get rid of humidity. Basically going have a giant bath tub full of lukewarm water sitting in the middle of the house 24/7. It's going to pump a LOT of moisture into the air.

There is a 2" gap between the back of the aquarium and the back wall. Air will be force blown in from the top of the canopy, circulate behind the aquarium and get picked up underneath and vented outside. Going to try and seal the doors and woodwork somewhat so that there is a bit of pressure deferential to help with the air flow pattern.

Aquadaft
05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
This is one awesome tank build. Love the attention to detail. Cant wait to see it completed!!

BigWave
05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I like the venting. I had to do something similar in my basement, and it made a huge difference in humidity levels, not only around the tanks, but just improved the overall air quality in our whole house. I'll join everyone else in looking forward to see the fish go in!

rbarn
05-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys.

Nothing exciting to show for now. Painting the inside of the stand with some white exterior gloss latex paint. Oh my aching back, I really should have done this BEFORE the bookcase was built.

Now that I have the plumbing permanently glued through the walls, I am going to start on the pump room in earnest. You guys should like this, I think I have a pretty slick set-up planned. The new RLSS variable speed pumps I want to use are due to be released any day now too, so should work out perfect.

FischAutoTechGarten
05-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the detail.

Really looking forward to the plumbing.

rbarn
06-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Purflow canister filter. Will be filled with 6" of 10 ppi filter foam and a single layer of blue filter floss.
there will be either 2 or 3 of these plumbed in parallel and will act as the mechanical prefilter for the closed loop circuit for the Bio/UV/Chiller

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqfilter2_zpsc96e8dad.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqfilter1_zps6ab4303d.jpg

2x high Purflo 25 micron cartridge filter. There will be 2 of these run in parallel on their own closed loop circuit using a high pressure PanWorld 200 pump

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i248/rbarn1234/aqfilter3_zps85b3eeea.jpg

Spyke
06-18-2013, 11:34 PM
This build is awesome! One day I want something like this. But bigger of corse! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk