PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Driftwood How to do it

Plumkin
09-02-2011, 07:48 PM
So today I went out to the beach and picked up a few large pieces of drift wood for my tanks and was wondering the best way to prepare it for my tank?

I thought to put it in a bucket boil water and fill the bucket with hot water let it sit over night and redo that for about a week then add some quickcure and salt to the bucket of water with the driftwood in there to kill off any parasites or what not?

any insight would be really good to hear how you experts do it!

rdiscus
09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/biotopes/natural/driftwood_treatment.shtml

Plumkin
09-02-2011, 11:11 PM
thank you very much i was looking all over for that but i guess im not that good at looking I really thought it would be harder then that but yay my discus will have some wood to lay there eggs on and just to look more natural :D.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/biotopes/natural/driftwood_treatment.shtml

Plumkin
09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
so after having it in boiling water for about an hour could i put it in my tank ? thats what it seemed like it was saying..

Plumkin
09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
well i spent all night soaking it in boiling water and all day to day, finally put some plants on it and put it in my tank its a huge piece.. yet it floats just lovely.... so I have something holding it down awhile i hope it will finally stay sunk otherwise ill have to add some slate to it which i did in the past and the screws came right out a month later

rbarn
09-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Patience is the key with new pieces of driftwood. Typically I will take months prepping a piece of wood to get tannins out and water log the wood. Weak bleach solution works good for pieces too big to boil too.

Plumkin
09-03-2011, 09:33 PM
after only 2-3 water soakings of boiling water the water was almost clear I was surprised how clear it was so I thought it should be fine looks good just gotta wait for it to stay sunk now lol.

walt3
09-05-2011, 05:02 PM
i get my work from a good source and normally just chuck it in. i totally forgot about sterilizing it. oops! so far so good. i actually like the tea colored leeching and wish it stayed for more than a couple weeks tops. more amazon that way. :)