PDA

View Full Version : proper name for lfs--"wild" looking discus?

walt3
09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
6865568654i purchased 3 young discus that look similiar to the fish on the simply discus title graphic except a bit more yellow. i am assuming these are not wild but domestic strain. what do i call them? i have a turq. and 2 snakeskin turq. but do not know how to refer to my 3 more "wild" looking discus. just trying to learn. i have 3 that look like this. all purchased a bit bigger than golf balls, now baseball size. thank you. walt.

Altum Nut
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey Walt,

Wild discus have different base colors. Brown, Green etc...
Post a fairly good photo of what you have and someone will offer the best possible name for it.

...Ralph

walt3
09-05-2011, 07:24 PM
done. thanks. walt.

walt3
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
any thoughts on what to call them? thanks.

Altum Nut
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I would call them Alenquer...however not wild. Not knowing the source and what the parents were make it futher difficult if they were a cross. Enjoy them for what they are. I would highly recommend buying from a reputable source the next time around like a Simply Sponsor.

...Ralph

walt3
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
thanks. i actually tried to purchase from gwynnbrook farms who are a reputable east coast discus breeder but he never returned my calls or email. i decided to get these from a friend who owns my lfs. nice guy and i think he gets alot of his discus from hans. these are not them of coarse but my snakeskins look much nicer in shape so could be. this was all before i even found this web site. :) now i know better, but as i said i tried to get them from a breeder first. live and learn. years ago i purchased 9 turqs from gwynnbrook. very nice fish. walt.

lipadj46
09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I have stendker alenquers from hans that are similar as are the stendker santarem

walt3
09-06-2011, 06:26 PM
my lfs gets his fish from there i believe. he has a sign up by the tanks and i remember the color flyer with the name - stendker somewhere. :)