PDA

View Full Version : re-scaped 75 tank.(work in progress)

walt3
09-05-2011, 10:25 PM
6866068659slowly learning lots of great things here and modifying as i aquire the knowledge. less rocks, more water movement, more wood, less light etc... pity i didnt know about the dark background effect on fish. :( they are actually a bit backlit in the pic so not true color in person. slowly trying to realize the dream.:) my 6 friends.68658 *dont mind the algae* :( working on erradicating it.:(

zchauvin
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
slowly learning lots of great things here and modifying as i aquire the knowledge. less rocks, more water movement, more wood, less light etc... pity i didnt know about the dark background effect on fish. :( they are actually a bit backlit in the pic so not true color in person. slowly trying to realize the dream.:) my 6 friends.68656

Looking nice there Walt. I'm currently attempting to make my old biotope into a heavily planted "wet season" one and put in a lot of dither fish and some altums/discus. Who knows what ill come up with. Just be careful with how much water movement you have, discus don't like too much of a current, let me know if you need some leds for a awesome price BTW. Been collecting dust for a good while.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Northwoods Discus
09-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Pleasing look. Very neat and clean. Plants look healthy. Great job.
Bill

walt3
09-05-2011, 10:54 PM
thanks for the kind words.:) i added an airstone back left and a modest power head just left of center blowing across the back wall to the right. by the time the current hits the right wall and turns its pretty mellow. i was trying to eliminate some dead spots without losing the calm amazon feel. i know they like calm water so i am going out of my way to make sure there still happy. they sleep at the left rear where it is almost dead calm. most of the tank is quite slow moving. just need to recover from my early crazy high watt install coupled with diy co2 which summonded the algae monster! :( at this point i am focused on the happiness of the fish. the plants are less important but its a bummer. they are growing great but so is the green monster.... walt.

zchauvin
09-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Get you some twig catfish or bristle nose and it'll take care of algae. Not to mention if your using a lot less light it will die quickly

walt3
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
i have 3 bristle nose in there now but could get more to help out. you are right lots have died or growing slower thank goodness. i had 390 watts at first! crazy but coming from a full reef tank i didnt see it as alot. i had 650 watts on that tank and still couldnt grow everything! :) now i have 130 watts so it much better. plus i had diy co2, didnt help. my plants grew like mad but so did the algae. :( plants were pearling like crazy every evening before the lights went off! i thought about the twig catfish as a addition because they look so cool.

zchauvin
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
i have 3 bristle nose in there now but could get more to help out. you are right lots have died or growing slower thank goodness. i had 390 watts at first! crazy but coming from a full reef tank i didnt see it as alot. i had 650 watts on that tank and still couldnt grow everything! :) now i have 130 watts so it much better. plus i had diy co2, didnt help. my plants grew like mad but so did the algae. :( plants were pearling like crazy every evening before the lights went off! i thought about the twig catfish as a addition because they look so cool.

All will help but the best way to keep algae out is to rub off soon as it shows up ;)

walt3
09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
agreed!!!!!!!!!! :)