PDA

View Full Version : My old tank setup (R.I.P.)

BradC
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Hello everyone!

Just thought I would share pictures of my tank when it was a high tech planted about a year ago, which I added discus to toward the end of its life lol. The tank now is a BB tank with driftwood and six Santarem's from Hans. When I look at my tank now and then look at these pics it amazes me that my tank once looked like that. Well thanks for viewing and enjoy! :)

Stag
09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I hear that... the things we do for our Discus!

ZX10R
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I love that first pic nice looking tank. Well I mean was a nice looking tank :)

rdiscus
09-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, that's very nice plant tank

zchauvin
09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Planted tanks are so much prettier lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

nwehrman
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Nice tank!

BradC
09-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I hear that... the things we do for our Discus!

I have to say keeping discus is a little bit easier than high tech planted. Between dosing ferts daily, having to trim or should I say mow the lawn of DHG every week (would grow 4"+ a week) and trim all the other plants, and a 50% WC at the end of the week. Doing a 50% water change everyday which takes me 30-40 min is a piece of cake! :)

I love that first pic nice looking tank. Well I mean was a nice looking tank :)

lol Thanks!

Wow, that's very nice plant tank

Thank you!

zchauvin
09-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I have to say keeping discus is a little bit easier than high tech planted. Between dosing ferts daily, having to trim or should I say mow the lawn of DHG every week (would grow 4"+ a week) and trim all the other plants, and a 50% WC at the end of the week. Doing a 50% water change everyday which takes me 30-40 min is a piece of cake! :)

lol Thanks!

Thank you!

Lol brad 4"+ a week sounds like hair grass, dwarf only gets 3" max ;)

Stag
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM

We must be keeping different fish... :o

laborelch
09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
I hear you! About to change my 200g planted to a simple sand and driftwood setup. Sick of pruning, dealing with algae and fertilizers. It looks nice though and I hope I will enjoy a more low tech tank just as well :-).
Awesome setup you had there!

BradC
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Lol brad 4"+ a week sounds like hair grass, dwarf only gets 3" max ;)

It was DHG (Eleocharis acicularis) which grows quite tall. There are a few kinds of DHG and the one you are prob thinking of is Eleocharis parvula.

BradC
09-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I hear you! About to change my 200g planted to a simple sand and driftwood setup. Sick of pruning, dealing with algae and fertilizers. It looks nice though and I hope I will enjoy a more low tech tank just as well :-).
Awesome setup you had there!

I thought I had a lot of work with my 55 gal, nevermind a 200 gal! If you still want plants I would try turning it into low tech. I have a 20 gal tall in my kitchen which I used organic potting soil capped with aquasoil (dont ask me why lol) and I clean the filter and do a 20-30% WC every 2-3 weeks. Def a big difference in how fast the plants grow but everything is healthy and barely no algae (tank was first flooded about 6-8 months ago). Really all I worry about is feeding the fish 3-4 times a week.

Good luck if you decide to go through with the change! :)

walt3
09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
tank looks crazy nice! wow!

laborelch
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I thought I had a lot of work with my 55 gal, nevermind a 200 gal! If you still want plants I would try turning it into low tech. I have a 20 gal tall in my kitchen which I used organic potting soil capped with aquasoil (dont ask me why lol) and I clean the filter and do a 20-30% WC every 2-3 weeks. Def a big difference in how fast the plants grow but everything is healthy and barely no algae (tank was first flooded about 6-8 months ago). Really all I worry about is feeding the fish 3-4 times a week.

Good luck if you decide to go through with the change! :)

I got rid of all the baby tears and dwarf hair grass already and planning on keeping only some crypts and red tiger lotus. Got about 3-4 sq. feet of vals that need to go :-). Def looking forward to less maintenance and will need to change my lights (currently running 2 x 400W HQI)

Plumkin
09-08-2011, 01:00 PM
where did you get the grass at? did it grow like that or did you have to buy alot of it

zchauvin
09-08-2011, 01:05 PM
where did you get the grass at? did it grow like that or did you have to buy alot of it

With co2 and ferts a 2x2 square of that will carpet a tank that size in a month or two. You could buy more if you wanted to though

BradC
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
tank looks crazy nice! wow!

Thank you! :)

I bought 12 pots of the Dwarf Hair Grass from liveaquaria.com.

It was a very timely process which took almost 8 hours to complete. I first took off all the wool that holds the roots in the pots. I then separated the DHG into groups of 5-15 strands and then trimmed about 1" off the top and a little off the roots to promote growth.
After that I used tweezers and planted all the groups about 0.5"-1" apart from each other. Took up about 1/4 of the tank and filled in and spread from there.

Overall I was very relieved once completed :p. Took about a month/month and a half to get it to the point you see it in the third pic.