PDA

View Full Version : Curipera X /Uamata Blue Pair

Second Hand Pat
09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
The smaller Curipera X female has been wooing a Uatama blue for a good week or more. Came home to this and not the best place for a clutch of eggs. The U. blue doesn't seem to interested. Think it is a bit young.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/P1010034.jpg

Keith Perkins
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Might be young, or it might just not be the tending parent type. You see a lot of different behavior when you have spawning discus. Who knows, this could be your first confirmed pair. Fingers crossed for you.

Second Hand Pat
09-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks Keith, it would be funny if these two beat the Curipera X/Alenquer pair to the goal line.

Northwoods Discus
09-23-2011, 08:45 AM
So happy for you Pat.

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 09:14 AM
We shall see Bill. It is not my intent to produce a bunch of mutts...only to play a little. To prepare for a true wild/wild pairing but dang, this is getting possibly serious.

Darrell Ward
09-23-2011, 09:41 AM
We shall see Bill. It is not my intent to produce a bunch of mutts...only to play a little. To prepare for a true wild/wild pairing but dang, this is getting possibly serious.

The mutt queen! LOL! It always happens to me too. Put more than one strain in a tank, and they cross breed.

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Oh thanks Darrell, not sure I want THAT title but guess it is my own fault. :)

ZX10R
09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
What do you plan on doing if they are a pair will you try and breed them?

TURQ64
09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I guess my question, if I even have one, is what do you expect from this type of outcross breeding?..I see no benefit to the wild fish. Just a new domestic strain of some nature.

Darrell Ward
09-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Oh thanks Darrell, not sure I want THAT title but guess it is my own fault. :)

Just kidding around. My wilds have done that too. After 2 or 3 attempts, mine usually stop. I have so much wood and stuff in my tank, I don't even try to remove them.

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
What do you plan on doing if they are a pair will you try and breed them?

Sean, to try my hand at raising a batch.

I guess my question, if I even have one, is what do you expect from this type of outcross breeding?..I see no benefit to the wild fish. Just a new domestic strain of some nature.

No expectations Gary and certainly no benefit to wild fish...only a novice's way to gain a little experience raising a clutch of fry. If in the future I end up with a wild/wild pairing which results in fry I would rather have a little first hand experience.

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Just kidding around. My wilds have done that too. After 2 or 3 attempts, mine usually stop. I have so much wood and stuff in my tank, I don't even try to remove them.

Darrell, I know you're kidding :). But if anyone calls me the mutt queen you know who I will come hunting for...:)

DiscusBR
09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Beautiful wilds, love the red color. I am so jealous... Two of my Cuipeuas have been cleaning the filterīs intake, but no eggs yet. I am planning to put them in a breeding tank in late October, after one of my frequent trips, and see of what happens. I fully understand your feeling. It would be great just to gain experience breeding and raising fry. Good luck with your endeavours.

TURQ64
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Aw, didn't really mean anything by it; I just flush hundred's of small fry a month that don't meet my at times stringent breeding policies....(basically loose in domestic's, tuff on wild fish)...the blues seem to be doing well.....

Discus-n00b
09-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Saw this picture on Facebook Pat. Was wondering if that was one from Kenny. Its a beautiful fish, great halo on it.

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Beautiful wilds, love the red color. I am so jealous... Two of my Cuipeuas have been cleaning the filterīs intake, but no eggs yet. I am planning to put them in a breeding tank in late October, after one of my frequent trips, and see of what happens. I fully understand your feeling. It would be great just to gain experience breeding and raising fry. Good luck with your endeavours.

Hi Mauro, the female is the red one and she is a deep mahogany red...truly a beautiful fish but is a wild/domestic cross. I hope your Cuipeuas spawn for you. That would be awesome.

Aw, didn't really mean anything by it; I just flush hundred's of small fry a month that don't meet my at times stringent breeding policies....(basically loose in domestic's, tuff on wild fish)...the blues seem to be doing well.....

Gary, I am hoping in about a year or so Marks fry will be old enough for breeding. Surely if I can get these seven up to adult size a pair or two is possible. Of course added an unrelated Cuipeau to the mix would be super. So why are you loose on the domestics?? Figured you would be tough on both.

Saw this picture on Facebook Pat. Was wondering if that was one from Kenny. Its a beautiful fish, great halo on it.

Matt, correct in both regards. This fish is true eye candy. Here is Kenny's picture which sold me.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/kennysdiscus02/Kennys%20Discus%202011b/CurixL5.jpg

Second Hand Pat
09-23-2011, 11:40 PM
24 Hours in with maybe dad

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/24_hours.jpg

TURQ64
09-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Pat, I was tough on domestics prior to the invention of pigeon bloods...then it kinda went down the tube..But domestics evolved from crossing, and most wild fish don't..My obvious wild exception is work on Heckel crosses...

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Gary, just curious why PBs had you loosen your breeding standards with domestics?

TURQ64
09-24-2011, 08:47 AM
As a generalization, prior to PB's, fish were linebred for color,etc. PB's altered that loop.Probably for the good of the hobby, but not for the good 'ole Turquoise!..Then demand for the 'new guys' kicked in, and it became hard to move fish..(not as hard as living rurally, hence my 'kill most of 'em off' standard ). Even now, there's not much wiggle room for 'unwanted' fish here in the boonies..

Keith Perkins
09-24-2011, 09:03 AM
You've got a wild and a fish that's half wild half domestic, that was first mistaken for wild. Some 3/4 wilds might be some nice looking fish. Toss in the keepers education worth and the "experience" of the first batch, go for it and enjoy Pat.

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 09:10 AM
You've got a wild and a fish that's half wild half domestic, that was first mistaken for wild. Some 3/4 wilds might be some nice looking fish. Toss in the keepers education worth and the "experience" of the first batch, go for it and enjoy Pat.

Thanks Keith ;)

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
We are roughly at the 48 hour mark and many of the eggs disappeared today :( but a few left.

24 hour closeup

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/24_hours_closeup.jpg

Today and what is left. I'm guessing the few darker ones could be viable.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/48_hour2.jpg

TURQ64
09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
any eye spots?

nc0gnet0
09-24-2011, 06:59 PM
I thnk the two would make a nice cross IMHO.

Rick

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Don't know Gary. A pair of glasses and a flashlight might help. I will go try that.

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I thnk the two would make a nice cross IMHO.

Rick

Thanks Rick :)

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Ok, checked with a flashlight and can't really tell but suspect that there are no eye spots. I will check in the morn if there are any eggs left.

Darrell Ward
09-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I would get some plastic or fiberglass screen at the home improvement store, and cover them up until hatch time. In my experience, that's only way to stop egg eaters. You may have some fertile ones there, they didn't turn white.

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Darrell, will be hard on this batch. They laid on the overflow. I do have another cone coming. I going to home depot in the morn and will be building a couple of egg guards.

Melissa
09-25-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm so excited for you lady! WHOO HOO Its Breedin time!!! I cant wait to see pictures of your beautiful fish covered in fry!!!

Disgirl
09-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Pat, I am working on your auction cones, you will be getting two, plus a planter cone! Hopefully that beautiful pair will like one of them. Will let you know when the glazed ones are finished for you and Judy to each choose one of.
Barb

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Looking forward to it Barb, as you can see seem that my cone need is expanding :)

Second Hand Pat
09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm so excited for you lady! WHOO HOO Its Breedin time!!! I cant wait to see pictures of your beautiful fish covered in fry!!!

Thanks Melissa, I'm sure this will be true in time.:)