PDA

View Full Version : PVC Cement?

chaoslite
09-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I am trying to make my life easier when doing water changes and want to use PVC from my water barrel to the tanks. I am worried however about the strong odor of the cement. I used Weld-on 700 - PVC. Am I worrying about nothing?

Mishka

jlcoop277
09-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I do irrigation and I use weld-on 735 it sets up super fast and the odor goes away pretty quick, but the odor is really strong at first. If you're not gonna have a lot of pressure you can use a medium body solvent and it won't stink as bad. They're all gonna have an odor. Just open up windows and air your place out really well and it should go away pretty fast.

chaoslite
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Jcoop,

I still smell the strong odor in in the pipe after two days. I am just worried about the odor transferring into the tank on a refill and harming the fish. Any chance?

Mishka

Sean Buehrle
09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Jcoop,

I still smell the strong odor in in the pipe after two days. I am just worried about the odor transferring into the tank on a refill and harming the fish. Any chance?

Mishka

It's fine, run some water through it .

Done it a hundred times no I'll effect.

chaoslite
09-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys.

Mishka

Darrell Ward
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
If it's cured, then it's safe. PVC cement is designed to be used on piping that carries drinking water. I've changed, or added fittings and piping lots of times over the years, and put them back into service immediately without problems.

jlcoop277
09-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Yep done the same myself. Pretty much safe within minutes.

DonMD
09-24-2011, 04:16 PM
If it's cured, then it's safe. PVC cement is designed to be used on piping that carries drinking water. I've changed, or added fittings and piping lots of times over the years, and put them back into service immediately without problems.

Ditto that for me.