PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the CO2 experts for plants.

Tropical Haven
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone sorry I haven't posted forever but been super busy with my son and his sports so I have very limited time for the next year and a half then will be back on here full time again. lol

Here is my question, I am just getting into CO2 for plants and I am going to be using my own DIY CO2. I will have a bubble counter as well as a diffuser. Every where I read they say you want 1 bubble per second which is fine. The question I have is how do you know how many bubbles per second based on the size tank you have? I am sure that it is different with a 10 gallon tank than a 55 gal tank. So is there a dummy way of knowing this for a first timer like me? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Larry Bugg
10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I like using a drop checker like these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/co2%20drop%20checker?_dmd=1&_sop=12&rvr_id=271152848544&clk_rvr_id=271152848544&MT_ID=70&crlp=1810169013_9415&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=1&keyword=co2+drop+checker&gclid=CLX2z7iizasCFYEj7Aod1iiQ0A&adgroup_id=796911753

The drop checker had a 4dkh regent in it. The color of the regent will change depending on how much Co2 you have in the water. Blue is too little green is good and yellow is too much. I use the Cal Aqua Labs one for 19.99 and it includes the regent.

fiftymeatballs
10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Definitely get the drop checker and pre made 4DKH solution. You can get that for 5 bucks on ebay. I use it for mine. Making your own 4dkh solution requires a scale and stuff I didn't have. Would cost me more to make it then just buy pre made.

What size tank do you have? You probably don't have to worry about gassing your fish with DIY from a 2liter bottle, I am assuming you have a fairly large tank if you keep discus?

I used a 2 liter soda bottle for my 60 gallon tank and probably could have used 1 more bottle for sufficient amounts. You can't really
control the rate the bubbles come out so it is what it is. I found mine came out at a rate of at least 2 bubbles per second and then slows after a week. It is also going to depend on what type of diffuser your using? Are you getting 100% absorption with a reactor or is it small bubbles rising to the surface and most gas off?

Regardless the easiest way to judge if things are working is with the drop checker. It's measuring your PH, the more c02 the lower your ph drops. In the meantime while waiting for your drop checker use your ph test kit, measure your ph without C02 then measure it with after it runs for a day. See what kind of change your getting in the levels with the DIY running full blast. I let mine drop a full point from 7.5 to 6.5 everyday on my discus tank. My drop checker turns a light green and everyone seems happy both plants and fish. I also have it shut off at night on a timer, then an airstone turns on for the entire night. I use pressurized C02 fyi. You won't be able to shut off the DIY at night without a real hassle. Letting it run 24/7 should be just fine since you can't ever really reach high c02 levels using DIY unless you have multiple bottles or a tiny tank.

Also make sure to attach a check valve into the line, its really important. If that solution syphons to your tank your fish will die.

I got fed up with the whole system eventually, the lack of control and constantly having to refill soda bottles each week. Not trying to be discouraging DIY is a great start! I think most people go that route in the beginning. Eventually though I recommend spending the $250 bucks on a 5lb tank, milwaukee controller and regulator with solenoid. The 5lb tank lasts me 3 months or so costs 10 bucks to refill. You don't have to fuss with it much it does all the work for you. Good luck

fast93accord
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Bubble counting is not necessary. It's just a standard way of guesstimating how much co2 is flowing. I would count bubbles in the bottom of my diffuser. My 55g is between 3-5bps... All that matters is that the drop checker is the color u want it to be...