PDA

View Full Version : I WANT TO PAY CASH FOR YOUR CULLS!!!!

neb_16
10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi there... I posted a thread a few months back asking if anyone had any discus culls they would be willing to ship to me (assuming I paid the full shipping fee, plus a little extra for your effort). I got several responses, but unfortunately was unable to get any because I had an unexpected travel situation with work... Anyways, my travel situation is over with and I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with culls that they would be willing to ship me instead of kill? I am looking for culls because I love discus but don't need anything show quality... I would rather "rescue" some and give them a good home. So if anyone out there has fry that are a little bit off in color, a bit smaller, etc, please let me know. I would really appreciate the opportunity to take them off of your hands.
Thanks!
ps... i am looking for 10-20 to live in my 250g.

Stag
10-05-2011, 03:16 PM
It's nice to see that you enjoy these fish as much as the rest of us. But I think international and Local breeders alike would agree with me that "culls are culls for a reason". They HATE killing fish! Support the quality fish in the hobby. Save your money up and purchase some beauties from our sponsors, you will be much happier long term.

Good luck on doing it right :D

Jason K.
10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
are you planning some experiment? I've been approach for cull's so a guy could test a food product he was working with. Just asking...

Skip
10-05-2011, 05:33 PM
umm previously.. op wanted free culls and for hobbyist to ship for free.... LOL!!

i think he is still looking for same deal.. LOL

Chad Hughes
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
neb_16,

I realize that you are looking for culls, but I think you could do much better for a decent price.

Check with Bill at Inland Empire Discus. He has young discus for $10 and inch. You'll still get a great price and quality fish that won't give you a headache down the line.

Just a thought.

Hi there... I posted a thread a few months back asking if anyone had any discus culls they would be willing to ship to me (assuming I paid the full shipping fee, plus a little extra for your effort). I got several responses, but unfortunately was unable to get any because I had an unexpected travel situation with work... Anyways, my travel situation is over with and I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with culls that they would be willing to ship me instead of kill? I am looking for culls because I love discus but don't need anything show quality... I would rather "rescue" some and give them a good home. So if anyone out there has fry that are a little bit off in color, a bit smaller, etc, please let me know. I would really appreciate the opportunity to take them off of your hands.
Thanks!
ps... i am looking for 10-20 to live in my 250g.

kent1963
10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
It's nice to see that you enjoy these fish as much as the rest of us. But I think international and Local breeders alike would agree with me that "culls are culls for a reason". They HATE killing fish! Support the quality fish in the hobby. Save your money up and purchase some beauties from our sponsors, you will be much happier long term.

Good luck on doing it right :D1+ Culls for me at least are deformed mishaped fish and are culled for that reason. Its kind of like a breeder of show dogs when they sell you a "pet quality" pup you are required to have them fixed so the imperfections are not perpetrated ruining the breed. Theres not really any way to do that with fish so they must be humanly destroyed. JMO Kent

Hicgup
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Kent, Actually there is a way to make fish sterile and works best on small fry or juvies. I can't remember the chemical name at the moment. I'll try to look it up. I have an aquaculture friend that can tell me. It could be a way for discus breeders to sell decent culls (just not the right color etc.) as "pet quality". I do strongly agree with stag though, culls are culled for a reason, and without strict culling you will not get or maintain high quality.

secuono
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I would love culls, too. I'd pay shipping, nothing but little fishy pets. I don't see why we have to get the more costly and 'perfect' fish. Why kill when someone is willing to give them a shot?
It'd be nice to get wimpy fish for cheap and have them w/my mixed fish.

Samsmobb
11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
+1 I'd take culls so I could slowly start to get my feet wet in the hobby..

TNT77
11-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Cull are culls. Culls 90% of the time are not healthy fish. You will end up spending more money on a cull in the long run than a healthy fish. And using culls to get into the hobby bad idea. They will put you off of wanting to get a discus ever again. You think raising or buying a decent discus is expensive wait till you try and nurse a cull to maturity. Not worth it in my opinion when there are lots of perfectly nice discus for reasonable prices out there.

Bill63SG
11-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Gonna be blunt.Culls is culls.You want cheap starter fish, buy the cheapest you can at your lfs.It's why we have problems with shar pai's,and dalmations.They get popular,and everything gets sold.Don't mean to be the bad guy,but was always told if a dalmation had pink in it's nose,should have been "culled".Don't make me the bad guy,but if your going to breed,you go for the best.I had a breeder give me a tank full of culls for the learning experience,but it comes down to ,I know about you,I'm sure about me,but you I don't know about.Some things need to be taken out of the breedind line.