PDA

View Full Version : Can I breed discus in water like this?

Ed Gray
10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello Im trying to get a breeding pair going. I have seen and heard all the time guys are breeding in plain tap water.

My water is very hard over 300
PH is above 8.4
my Nitrite is 0
my nitrate 20 or less

I do 10% water change every other day and 50% water change the other day

I have 5 tangerines 4 female and one male

the 2 largest look at the breeding cone all day for 2 weeks not and the male is around at or inbetween them both all the time but no action.

The water is the same in all 3 of my tanks and the fish look great and eat like pigs.

I do have an ro unit and using it only because its supposed to soften the water and help the hardness
It about time to change the cartridges but not sure that will help

So will this water work for breeding.

Thanks from the breeders out there for your responce

Ed

Altum Nut
10-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Greetings Ed,

There are many who have bred Discus in the same water as yours. My recommendation is to be patient and wait for the pair to form. You can put the two in thier own tank and see what happens.
As for your r/o unit...why do you say changing the filters will not help????
In the end I would suggest just leave them be in the community tank and they will make it happen when it's time.

...Ralph

Ed Gray
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
thanks Ralph im not sure if the change in filters will help because to be honest im not sure how much water i have ran throught it
I hope the change helps

I do have the possible breeding fish in a seperate 55 glass bottom tanks and just waiting but
i wanted to make sure my water conditions would support babies if and when I get them

I plan to change the ro filters tomarrow and then see what that does.

Thanks Ed