PDA

View Full Version : Weird fungus growth in a cycling tank...

MightyEvil
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, I set up my tank on Saturday, first night, a bulkhead and external overflow box were leaking so turned everything off and let the water sit in the 55 gallon without movement until the next day. Everything was fixed, started and tank started cycling (used tap water with no chemicals). On Monday I seeded the tank with established filter media and I also introduced three pieces of driftwood into the tank from my established 110 gallon. Today I noticed some fungus growing on the driftwood. I know this is bound to happen in a cycling aquarium but the weird thing is that it only happened to the driftwood that I took from the 110, not the one that was dry. I have not tested the water because I keep forgetting to take my test kit home from my office. I am sure the cycle will be done soon and I am also sure that the bacteria/fungus growing in the tank will go away too but I am wondering why the fungus only grew on the imported driftwood from my 110. Don't want to add any fish if there is something unusual going on in the tank :alien:.

Any help in understanding this will be appreciated...

Here is a video I took this morning, sorry it is a little shaky and my phone's camera had trouble focusing...

Oh, and the first piece of driftwood in the video is the one that did not get the fungus, anything you see on it is detritus from the sponges I transferred from my 110.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuKij0b-CY4

jimg
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
normal, you can take it out and scrub some off with a brush

MightyEvil
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Probably just a coincidence then huh? I figured...

I will probably get home today and have the other piece of driftwood covered in fungus too.

jimg
10-12-2011, 06:06 PM
happens to every piece I ever used, even if you use it then let it dry and use it again a few months later it still comes back. The ancistrus (bushy nose pleco) I think eat it

MightyEvil
10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks