PDA

View Full Version : How do I seal a leaking plughole fitting?

Damaskeno Bryant
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Hello everybody,

The plughole in my bathroom basin is leaking. The leak is between the plughole and the basin (i.e. through the circular hole in the basin in which the metal plughole is fitted), and it seems to me as if it needs sealing with some silicon kitchen/bathroom sealant. In order to seal it I need to remove, or at least loosen, the plughole fitting, but I can not see how, having removed the u-bend, detached and removed the plug actuator and the plug. I am sure this is a pretty standard problem - could somebody please explain what I need to do?

Thanks.
Damaskeno Bryant

TURQ64
10-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Those drains are usually bedded in plumber's putty, not silicone, or any goop....putty is applied around the rim of the drain hole, and the drain is reinstalled, tightening the large nut firmly......HTH

Jhhnn
10-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Those drains are usually bedded in plumber's putty, not silicone, or any goop....putty is applied around the rim of the drain hole, and the drain is reinstalled, tightening the large nut firmly......HTH

Yup. If the underside of the fitting is badly corroded, or if you destroy it taking it apart, which is not uncommon, take the old one with you to the home center or hardware store, match a new one to it. Cheapies are often zinc, better ones usually solid brass for little more... buy the smallest size of plumber's putty you can get, roll some of it into a 1/4" rope, lay it in a circle in the basin recess before installing the fitting. You'll probably want new gaskets for anything else you've taken apart- wrap them with 1/16" stings of putty as you install them for a watertight seal. The plastic traps are excellent, ime, if you need one. Old sink drains tend to crumble when fussed with, so be prepared...

jimmyjoe
10-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I thought this was a discus forum not a DIY Home Depot repair site, just kidding where better placed to find out how to fix a leak. These guys on here have seen and done it all hope they've helped......JIm in Ohio

Damaskeno Bryant
10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the pics. These are very good example of How do I seal a leaking plughole fitting?

Thanks a lot
Damaskeno Bryant