PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Sunset

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Came back from dinner out and found this...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/IMAG0560.jpg
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/IMAG0561.jpg
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/IMAG0565.jpg

My lab Bell decided to go for a swim and attracted herself a gator :( We left before any harm was done.

pcsb23
10-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Very nice pics :)

laborelch
10-16-2011, 06:32 AM
very nice pics and backyard :-)

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks Paul and Steffi :)

Darrell Ward
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Nice. I can hear the buzz of mosquitoes from here! :D

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2011, 12:18 PM
I didn't notice them last night....but this morning they drove me inside. Did you see the part about the gator?

laborelch
10-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't like the gator part. And the snakes you have down in FL neither - a friend of mine lost one dog to a snake bite and another one (lab X) got bitten twice within a couple of weeks ....

MKD
10-16-2011, 12:40 PM
very sight Pat, seem like you have everything in your backyard, new backyard friends, lake and sunset

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't like the gator part. And the snakes you have down in FL neither - a friend of mine lost one dog to a snake bite and another one (lab X) got bitten twice within a couple of weeks ....

Steffi, seeing the gator was a bit of a surprise. I have lived on the lake for many years and it was the first one I have seen. I have always knew they were around. However I choose to live by the lake and happily assume the risks with gator, snakes and other wildlife. I will admit to not liking the spiders. Sorry to hear about your friend losing their dog.

very sight Pat, seem like you have everything in your backyard, new backyard friends, lake and sunset

Thanks Tony and yes, a little bit of everything.

Darrell Ward
10-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Gators are always around along coastal plains areas of the south, and a lot of times you never see them. They just blend right in to their surroundings, and can lie motionless for hours. I know when we lived in SC, I have been startled several times by gators that I walked past who went into the water from the bank, without me seeing them first in the tall grass. They tend to run away from people, but I would never want to corner one.

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Darrell, here in Fla any body of water will do. One time at work we had some customers down from Maine. We were eating lunch on the cafeteria patio which is beside a small man made pond. This pond usually sports a small gator and sure enough we saw the gator.

One of the guys from Maine asked about finding gators in any body of water. Well, I piped up that they were found in any body of water and here in Fla we had to make sure to keep the bath tubs empty....you should have seem the startled look.

Disgirl
10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Beautiful sunset pics Pat! Our view of them is totally blocked by a forest. You are lucky to get to see them. Would you believe we have gators here too? Not many but they are around enough to be noticed and watched out for. They can take our winters here where the temp rarely goes below the 20's and is usually above freezing all winter. Guess they hang out in the mud on cold days or just go deeper in the water?
Barb

Darrell Ward
10-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I believe it Barb. I have seen quite a few of while on hunting trips out in New Hanover County, along with cottonmouths, copperheads, and those little dwarf rattlesnakes who live in the pine forests that only get about a foot long, but are mean as heck!

Second Hand Pat
10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks Barb, I would never guess you had gators in your nick of the woods.

jlcoop277
10-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I want your backyard.