PDA

View Full Version : Kitten and new RO/I unit don't mix

Apistomaster
10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
After over 40 years or not owning any pets other than fish I decided I could use the company of a kitten.

I recently bought and installed a new Typhoon Extreme, 150 gpd RO/DI unit next to my two connected 55 gal barrels which make up my RO water reservoir.
The system worked fine for the first couple of weeks. I was enjoying the automatic shut off valve and float switch; no more flooded bathroom for me! Or so I thought.
Sometime recently my kitten decided to use the incoming source water tubing to chew on(she is just getting her permanent teeth) but I did not know this had happened. Not until yesterday that is.
I turned on the tap water source and left it unattended. By the time I returned to turn off the water I discovered the incoming water line was spraying out of more than a dozen line punctures in every direction and had flooded the bathroom with at least twenty gallons of water. Needless to say I was not pleased with this.

I am going to replace any damaged RO lines but I plan to first cover the accessible lines with sleeves of flexible plastic tubing and I still have to figure out some method of protecting the main unit's various short sections of tubing.

I am sharing this experience because it is both amusing and really frustrating at the same time and thought it might save someone else a similar experience.
I expected to have to deal with some damage from a rambunctious young kitten like the few broken leaves on a few of my Levelar window shades and what not but it never occurred to me that she would put out so much of her time and energy into sabotaging my new RO/DI unit.
It has been so long since I have owned a cat I had forgotten just how much mischief they could get into.

You can never anticipate all the potential trouble spots cats can find.
The last cat I had liked to sleep on top the cover of my 125 gal reef tank and on two occasions it some how managed to disconnect the overflow tubing that ran to the wet/dry filter when itjumped down off the warm cover and this flooded a finished carpeted basement recreation room with some 60 gal of reef tank water nearly ruining an expensive Steinway piano sitting next to the reef tank. Not exactly my preferred way of making water changes and in the process many expensive Elegant Coral heads were lost to the unanticipated low "tides".

Moral of these anecdotes; you will never see these weird disasters coming.

MPETERS
10-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem, I know what it is like to have to clean up a water mess. You could shut the door to the room not allowing the kitty in. Best of luck

Mike

Sean Buehrle
10-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Yep shut the door or spray the line with hairspray, she won't touch it.

You could also rub a hot pepper up and down it, won't hurt her but I guarantee you she won't chew it again.

I'm a dog person myself :)

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Aw Larry, enjoy your kitten. She meant no harm and will soon be an adult and hopefully less likely to get into mischief.

Melissa
10-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Hahaha Larry, thanks for the laugh xD

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-18-2011, 06:04 AM
ohhh the joys of having a kitten... chewing on cords,eating plastic bags, climbing up the curtains, using your couch as a kitty scratching post BUT they are so da*n cute...BUT im glad mine is 10 years old.. Good Luck and have fun with your new kitty and make sure to post a pic...

Sean Buehrle
10-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Actually it's not a bad idea to spray your power cords with something too.

If that cat chews one thing it's probably chewing everything.

MostlyDiscus
10-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I had a pacu in my sump that would chew on the power cord for the filter pump. I think he was still growing too. Had to let him go at 15 inches though due to the fact that I was afraid he would chew through the pond liner next. MEOW

Disgirl
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear Larry, we had a cat do that to all my airline tubing once. Of course, water lines much worse. Hope you can help her not do it again. But kittens are so cute I'm sure you have already forgiven her, right?
Barb

Apistomaster
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I was mad at it for awhile but kittens will be kittens and I can repair the damage, take some preventative steps and before long she will be (hopefully) a settled down cat.

Darrell Ward
10-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Hopefully it will settle down for you with age. The wife had one once that never did, and even she got tired of it. That thing was, and still is, a monster. I hate that cat. My daughter in law has it now.

Disgirl
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Hopefully it will settle down for you with age. The wife had one once that never did, and even she got tired of it. That thing was, and still is, a monster. I hate that cat. My daughter in law has it now.
Glad you found the cat a new home and didn't take it to the shelter. That is almost certain death.
Barb

ericatdallas
10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Get one of those flood sensors :)

Apistomaster
10-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Get one of those flood sensors :)

Ah the Kitten would just find it to be a new toy that has wires that can be chewed.
I actually bought sleeves of heavier wall flexible tubing for the accessible main lines and am going to tack down an old towel over the main unit so she hopefully won't bother the short sections of tubing and I plan to get the hottest peppers a friend grows and wipe the exposed and sleeved sections of tubing sections for some averse conditioning.

wendy9722
10-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Now that was tooo funny!!!!! I can understand the frustration at the same time. That is one heck of a mess to clean up!!!! I probably would have rolled the cat into it for kicks though. I love watching them shake their paws and legs around as they walk. I'm glad my cats are out of that phase. It does pass with time. Get enough cat nip toys and hanging balls with bells in plus a scratching post worked for mine. Ohh they also loved the feather toys too. I never would have thought of using hot peppers but thats a great idea for the pup that likes to chew on my things. LOLS!!!
Best of LUCK!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the cute story.