PDA

View Full Version : How to judge a discus at a show.......

seanyuki
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Hello Guys, I was thinking. Many of us have problems selecting quality discus and also, when we put our discus into competition, we believe what we submitted is the best! When the results are out, many realised that their discus are not even within the top three placing. Why? Won’t it be better if we can think in the same perspective as the judges, I mean the certified judges and narrow our disappointments?

Then I remembered reading in DCS forum, Andrew Soh has conducted a few Judging courses for certified judges in Singapore. So I was thinking whether we can have such a course, maybe only theoretical one during one of the evening of NADA 2012. What do you guys think?

let start having some attendees for this course.

1.Francis Barretto (aka seanyuki)

LizStreithorst
10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Hello Guys, I was thinking. Many of us have problems selecting quality discus and also, when we put our discus into competition, we believe what we submitted is the best! When the results are out, many realised that their discus are not even within the top three placing. Why? Won’t it be better if we can think in the same perspective as the judges, I mean the certified judges and narrow our disappointments?

Then I remembered reading in DCS forum, Andrew Soh has conducted a few Judging courses for certified judges in Singapore. So I was thinking whether we can have such a course, maybe only theoretical one during one of the evening of NADA 2012. What do you guys think?

let start having some attendees for this course.

1.Francis Barretto (aka seanyuki)
2.Liz Streithorst I would love it.

John_Nicholson
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Already in the works, but too early for the details.

-john

MostlyDiscus
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Ya Im in for that one too.

Second Hand Pat
10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Yes, sounds very interesting

2075turner
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Can count me in too...

seanyuki
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
the more attendees the merrier...............going to the Nada 2012 show and having this course can learn more what a quality discus is suppose to be lah .

John_Nicholson
10-31-2011, 04:59 PM
OK folks I am going to be going out of town for my Grandmothers funeral but wanted to post a little something on the Judging class that will be held in Atlanta. The class will be limited to only 10 people. The first priority this year will be on people who want to become NADA certified judges. Attending this one class does not guarantee you that you will be a certified judge. The class will occur while the real judging is going on. We will be in the locked room with the show judges, but they are not the ones doing the training. The class will be taught by Jim and myself. Anyone that knows me knows that I like to have fun but this class will be very serious. If anyone doubts how strict we are on judging ask Bugman. He was an assistant for Jim and myself while we were judging the discus class at the ACA. I think he was amazed by how close out scores were. If you are interested please im Jim (Yim11) and myself. We will post a list of the class attendees and alternates at some point in the future.

Thanks.

-john

YSS
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think your fish is great, then it is great. You don't need judges to tell you otherwise.

seanyuki
10-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks John/Jim......mark me down down to attend the course......great to learn form the experts.....any entry fees for this seminar?

OK folks I am going to be going out of town for my Grandmothers funeral but wanted to post a little something on the Judging class that will be held in Atlanta. The class will be limited to only 10 people. The first priority this year will be on people who want to become NADA certified judges. Attending this one class does not guarantee you that you will be a certified judge. The class will occur while the real judging is going on. We will be in the locked room with the show judges, but they are not the ones doing the training. The class will be taught by Jim and myself. Anyone that knows me knows that I like to have fun but this class will be very serious. If anyone doubts how strict we are on judging ask Bugman. He was an assistant for Jim and myself while we were judging the discus class at the ACA. I think he was amazed by how close out scores were. If you are interested please im Jim (Yim11) and myself. We will post a list of the class attendees and alternates at some point in the future.

Thanks.

-john

Chad Hughes
10-31-2011, 10:38 PM
John,

I'm sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Regards,

Thanks.

-john

Larry Bugg
11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
John may not have been entirely clear. If you are interested then submit you name to them. They will then choose the 10 students from the entire list of names. It is not first come, first serve. Along wth submitting your name you might want to tell them a little about yourself and why you want to be picked. Can't hurt. There is no fee for this class. Payment will come in being a future judge for NADA.

John_Nicholson
11-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Folks I have been a little surprised. We still have a couple of spots available. If you ever wanted to know how to really judge a discus the 2012 NADA show is the time and the place. If you have any questions or are interested please let me know.

-john

John_Nicholson
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Alright folks the class is full, but as we all know sometimes things change so if you have an interest please respond so we can put you on the alternate list.....and now for the class....

1. LizStreithorst
2. Rod
3. BobTools
4. RichT
5. 2075turner
6. seanyuki
7. Bugman
8. ChadHughes
9. MostlyDiscus
10.Sabres1

-john

seanyuki
11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow Rod coming to the show ......all the way from Australia......soooooo happy lah.

John_Nicholson
11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
No the New Jersey Rod.......roclement

-john

seanyuki
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
That's great news too.....NJ Rod.....party all night long ......looking forward to next year lah.

No the New Jersey Rod.......roclement

-john

roclement
11-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey I can go to Australia and fly here if that makes it better! :)
Good list of people, should be fun! Very much looking forward to it! Airline ticket booked to Atlanta already!

Rodrigo

LizStreithorst
11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Now if you were fly to Austrailia and fly the real Rod to the show with you I'm sure that an 11th place would be open. Alas, we must settle for you alone, Ringo;)

Fun ain't the word for what it will be. Our group will get to learn important new stuff AND enjoy the social stuff. I so much can't wait. I must indeed need a life if my heart yearns so for a stupid fish show.

Hey I can go to Australia and fly here if that makes it better! :)
Good list of people, should be fun! Very much looking forward to it! Airline ticket booked to Atlanta already!

Rodrigo

seanyuki
11-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Great to learn all the details about discus at the above seminar ...........meet all discus hobbyists at the show too..............Liz after dark(during drinks) will learn more from the elites lah

Now if you were fly to Austrailia and fly the real Rod to the show with you I'm sure that an 11th place would be open. Alas, we must settle for you alone, Ringo;)

Fun ain't the word for what it will be. Our group will get to learn important new stuff AND enjoy the social stuff. I so much can't wait. I must indeed need a life if my heart yearns so for a stupid fish show.

LizStreithorst
11-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Great to learn all the details about discus at the above seminar ...........meet all discus hobbyists at the show too..............Liz after dark(during drinks) will learn more from the elites lah

My eyes and ears will be open the entire time. You never know when someone might toss you a gem of insight. IMO the majority of the "elites" are the ones who don't promote themselves as such.

I honestly don't know if I can learn to judge Discus according to a neurmical score card. I am perfectly able to pick the fish that I think is best and talk about my reasons. Numerical score card?????? How can I ever learn to choose the best Discus according to numbers? I hope I don't fail. I might. One way or the other it will be great sweaty fun giving it a try.

Larry Bugg
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Not necessarily sweaty. Tanks will be heated, not the room.

LizStreithorst
11-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Not necessarily sweaty. Tanks will be heated, not the room.

Good. I don't mind sweating one bit, but it's of utmost importance that the fish are given the best chance to be happy campers.

I can't wait for this. Some stupid unfufillfiled part of me yearns for it.

roclement
11-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Me as well...I have disagreed with many a fish score in the past so it will be good to have the proper info to make educated and not emotional decisions in the future.

Rodrigo

jimmyjoe
11-05-2011, 10:20 PM
What a group is starting up here, I wish I could make the trip that would make my year....................Jim in Ohio

BOBT00LS
11-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Im very happy to hear that I was among the ten included in the group. Very much looking forward to learn what would be considered the standard of a show winning discus as well as having a good time with a great group of people.

Bob

nc0gnet0
11-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Not sure if this is the place, but a suggestion for another seminar would be a hands on course for using a microscope and identifying the common fish parasites.

Rick

Chad Adams
11-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Not sure if this is the place, but a suggestion for another seminar would be a hands on course for using a microscope and identifying the common fish parasites.
Rick
Rick,
That is a fantastic idea! It's already in the works. The tough thing is fitting so much stuff in the short time
we'll be together!
Chad

2075turner
11-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Im very happy to hear that I was among the ten included in the group. Very much looking forward to learn what would be considered the standard of a show winning discus as well as having a good time with a great group of people.

Bob

Ditto, what else can I say....

2075turner
11-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Rick

Great idea.

seanyuki
11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Hope NADA could invite Dr Roy Yanong or Dr Ruth Francis-Floyd from U Florida to talk about fish diseases .

yogi
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
We have invited Dr Roy Yanong and we are waiting to find out his 2012 schedule. He is interested, but the University does a seminar every June and he has to make sure the dates don't conflict with our show.

Eddie
11-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Does this mean I'm gonna have to step up and train somebody while I'm at the show? LOL

Larry Bugg
11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Does this mean I'm gonna have to step up and train somebody while I'm at the show? LOL

LOL, this is like old times. First thing I do when I get to work is check Simply to see what has happened during the 5 hours sleep I got. This morning 5 of my subscribed threads have been answered but non other than Eddie. WELCOME BACK BUD!!!!!!!

I haven't mentioned to anyone that you might make the Show. So does your response mean that it has definitely been worked out????? Holding my breath.

seanyuki
11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey bud.....glad you're here again......my new sensei.

John_Nicholson
11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Eddie I expect you to be there to train me.....LOL.

-john

LizStreithorst
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Great to hear, Eddie. I need all the help I can get.

Eddie
11-12-2011, 03:19 AM
You guys are funny! I'm definitely gonna try to make it happen, I'll say that! Its not a show I'd miss out on if I had the chance! And John, you better give me a refresher when I get there! LOL

Chad Hughes
11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Glad to hear that you may be able to make it Eddie. :D

Good to have you back.

April
11-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Welcome back Eddie!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275273,-122.835572

LizStreithorst
11-14-2011, 01:50 PM
April, if Eddie can make it from Timbuktoo, you can certainly make it from Vancouver. Travel with Francis. Trust me, you won't regret it.

April
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Money willing...maybe I will. And. If I can cover the shop...Francis is my backup for the shop on my days I'm at the warehouse! I'd love to meet everyone. I'm not gonna be a judge though lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275069,-122.835503

Chad Adams
11-14-2011, 03:38 PM
You guys are funny! I'm definitely gonna try to make it happen, I'll say that! Its not a show I'd miss out on if I had the chance! And John, you better give me a refresher when I get there! LOL

Eddie,
I know you'll make it Buddy. Maybe you could somehow bring your son??

Money willing...maybe I will. And. If I can cover the shop...Francis is my backup for the shop on my days I'm at the warehouse! I'd love to meet everyone. I'm not gonna be a judge though lol.
---

April,
Glad to hear your at least considering it. Would be a priviledge to have you hear.
Chad

LizStreithorst
11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe means likely not. Please find a way. I want to meet you.

I'd be scared shittless to be asked to be a judge. I still want the training. Maybe I can do it, maybe not. It's judging according to a numerical score card that is the problem. It's just not the way I do. I do it by seeing the Gestalt of the fish. If I am a terrible failure doing it the way it's done I will never be asked to judge. Problem solved.

seanyuki
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I love that April could attend the show also.......but she has four babies to attend to lah.....they follow her everywhere lol

---

seanyuki
11-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Wild discus will be a problem for me lol......learning all the strains......pronounce the name and hardly could spell them correctly too....need to do research now b4 it's too late .

Larry Bugg
11-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Wild discus will be a problem for me lol......learning all the strains......pronounce the name and hardly could spell them correctly too....need to do research now b4 it's too late .

Wilds are judge on the same criteria as Domestics. Same sheet is used. There is only one wild class so you don't need to know strains or names.

LizStreithorst
11-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Wilds are judge on the same criteria as Domestics. Same sheet is used. There is only one wild class so you don't need to know strains or names.

Ah, that you could put my fears aside with just a few words...

roclement
11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
However we will have a separate set of tests for all group members on the correct nomenclature for wilds and the regional names in Portuguese, and per locality...this will be followed by a dissertation on the proper strain delepopment history for the pigeon blood and a oral test on Heiko's latest book...by page...! No big deal...oh and a multiple choice on the location of the Solomon Lake!!!! :)

Better hit the books! :)

Rodrigo

Second Hand Pat
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Plus the proper pronunciation of the regional names in Portuguese ;)

seanyuki
11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Big soccer game today Portugal vs Bosnia-Herzegovina for a booth at the Euro 2012.........playing at home should give the Portuguese victory.http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/th_71318fc8.gif (http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/71318fc8.gif)

April
11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
What's the date of the show? If its may 26th...I'll be watching the wall concert. My better half bought tickets already.
So tell me it's earlier lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275003,-122.835492

Larry Bugg
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
What's the date of the show? If its may 26th...I'll be watching the wall concert. My better half bought tickets already.
So tell me it's earlier lol.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.275003,-122.835492

Wrong month. June 22

LizStreithorst
11-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Wrong month. June 22

You'll have to come up with a new excuse, April.

2075turner
05-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey John, I am sad to say but I won't be able to make it down for the convention so you can take me off the list and give my spot to someone that would like too attend this presentation.

John_Nicholson
05-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Will do. Sorry to here that you can't make it. You will be missed.

-john

Kingdom Come Discus
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I would love the vacant spot if possible. I didn't think my health was going to let me make it when all this materialized.

John_Nicholson
05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Kraig you would currently be number 2 on the substitute list. Don't worry we will probably have room.

-john

LizStreithorst
05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
How many on the waiting list have yet to register to be at the show, John?

Kingdom Come Discus
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks John

John_Nicholson
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
How many on the waiting list have yet to register to be at the show, John?

Liz I have no clue. Since I am now a nobody with the club I don't get that kind of information....LOL.

-john

LizStreithorst
05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
lol. I forgot that you're a nobody.

vicdiscus
05-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I did like to come to join for judge and other but I would like to find an asl interpreter.

yim11
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
If you are coming to the show then by all means please let us know and we can find a resource in the area for this.