PDA

View Full Version : Best airstone to use with sponge filter?

callistra
10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Does anyone here use a Hydor Sponge filter with an airstone?

I have a Whisper 10 airpump and a ATI Hydor I sponge filter in a 10 gallon.

It's causing a lot of waves on the surface and the bubbles are large. I am hoping an airstone will break the bubbles up to smaller finer and quieter bubbles (which my fish seem to like) without creating too much extra suction (which my fish do not like). I am also looking for something to stick on the end of the lift tube to redirect the current across the water like the Oxygen Plus 3 & 5 filters from Dr. Foster & Smith store does (sorry your site won't let me post a link)

Has anyone done something like this? What airstone did you use?

Would someone suggest a different filter?

Cambik
10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Personally I use a small cheap airstone I got at Petco.....It makes the spong filter a lot quieter and makes a bunch of smaller bubbles...Filter still works great as it is the same amount of air just smaller bubbles.

TURQ64
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
On this topic, one of our suppliers included several multi-colored,plastic stones..don't remember who...I'd like more if anyone knows who it was..maybe Ken, or Bill?

Darrell Ward
10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, those plastic ones are great for sponge filters. Here's the link....http://www.igopro-online.com/Fish-Supplies-and-Accessories-s/2.htm

TURQ64
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Yep, that's them..dandiest thing since sliced bread...My love of acidic conditions makes the composition ones go to heck quick. I like, recommend them.......Thanks..

Bill63SG
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
In a pinch I cut off a piece of air-line tubing,burn one end and crimp it with pliers,then heat up a small needle and poke holes in it.Not quite an air stone,but definatly more bubbles then just the straight tube.

yim11
10-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Been using the plastic ones from David @ IGOPRO for years and they work great! Highly recommended product and vendor!

callistra
10-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the plastic suggestion..looks like everyone loves them. It gives just as fine bubbles as say an Aqua Mist or Kordon? Never heard of a plastic air stone. That's interesting.

Anyone have a photo of what their bubbles do?

Unfortunately, for now the tank is in my bedroom so quiet is key.

dean9922
10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I ordered my stones thru David also....great to deal with and quick shipping, even to Canada!!!!