PDA

View Full Version : critique my plans for a filter system

MPETERS
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I am planning out my new 250 gal. (6x2x2) discus tank. As this is my first discus tank so I would like to get a critique on my plans for the filter system. The tank has two corner overflows with a 2” hole in each; it also has two 2” holes drilled in the back glass. Here is what I am planning to do:
1) The two holes in the rear glass will be used to drain the water into the filter system.
2) The water will first go into an Ocean Clear with a cartridge after that there will be an Ocean Clear with filter carbon.
3) After the filters there will be a pump, half of the water will be pumped through an inline heater into one of the overflows. The other half of the water will be pumped into a wet/dry filter. The water from this filter will be pumped through another heater and into the other overflow box. The overflows will be used to return the water to the tank.
4) Both the output from the tank and the input into the tank will have normally closed valves to protect form flooding in case of a loss of power.

I hope this makes sense. Do you think this would be a good setup? Any comments will be a great help.

Thank You,
Mike

Dieselfool
10-19-2011, 09:24 PM
6 x 2 x 2=180gal.

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
6 x 2 x 2=180gal.
Yep that's what mine is 180 6 x 2 x 2
but good luck on your set up Mike...you will have to post pics when its all done...

MPETERS
10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi,

My bad tank is 6'x30"X30". Thanks for the correction.

Mike

Darrell Ward
10-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi,

My bad tank is 6'x30"X30". Thanks for the correction.

Mike

That would be around 280 gal. not 250.

Coffee1stLife2nd
10-19-2011, 11:13 PM
make sure to figure out for sure exactly what size tank it is so when set up you will know exactly the amount of chemicals and such to add...just my thought...

MPETERS
10-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi,

Well I did the cal. and it is indeed 280.5 gal. It has been a long time since I brought the tank. Sorry for the bad info.

Do you have any comments on the proposed filter system??

Thanks,
Mike

Darrell Ward
10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
To be honest, I don't like it. Too much stuff going on. Keep it simple. If it were my tank, I would find an old 55 gal. tank that will still hold water, and place it underneath the tank. Run the drain pipes from the tank to your new sump. I would then order a sheet of 4" thick, #30 Poret foam, and cut to fit a piece that would tightly wedge across the 55 to make a divider. Then, I would find a large air pump designed to run several tanks at once, and hook it up to at least a 5" diameter disc bubbler, placed in the bottom of the chamber I made with the foam. To this chamber, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cubic ft. of Kaldness bio media. Then, using 2 submersible pumps of around 900gph each, hook one to one return line, and another to a 2nd return line. Add a check valve to each return line. Add 2- 300 watt Jager heaters to the sump,fill the whole thing with water, place your drain pipes over the bio chamber, and leave them long enough to discharge under the waterline to reduce noise. Enjoy!

MPETERS
10-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the info. I have a few questions. After I put the foam in the "sump" what is the second chamber used for? I think I will need some type of control on the drain lines from the tank to shut off the water in case I loose power, also I will have to control the amount of water comming from the tank via the drail lines. A pair of valves will allow me to control the amount of water leaving the tank, however, I think that I will still need a normally closed valve to shut the water off. What do you think. Will I be able to turn over enough water with a 50 gal sump to filter a 300 gal tank and not create to much current for the fish.

Thanks,
Mike

Darrell Ward
10-20-2011, 09:10 PM
A standpipe in the overflow box controls the amount of water drained from the tank. A standpipe is a piece of pvc pipe that goes up about 3/4 the way the length of the overflow box. at the top of this pipe, a tee is placed on the pipe. On the end of the tee facing the overflow box, a 90 degree elbow is placed pointing down. On the remaining opening of the tee pointing up, a cap is placed with a small hole to control air entering the pipe. The standpipe acts as a siphon. The water level will never get above the downturned 90 degree elbow. The amount of flow is controlled primarlly by the amount of water pumped back into the tank by the return pump. If the pump is turned off, only the amount of water above your overflow box will drain into the sump, then all flow stops. Plug the pump back in, the water level in the tank rises again to the top of the overflow, then the overflow starts draining again. It's like having an automatic system, powered by gravity. Think of it for a moment as a waterfall. Less water going in at the top of the waterfall slows the flow down, more water at the top speeds the flow up. A 55 gal. sump is plenty for your tank. The secound chamber is used for your heaters, and return pumps.

MPETERS
10-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi again,

I understand the concept of the stand pipe and how it works. I was thinking that I would use the two holes in the back glass as the drains to the filter and the corner overflows as the returns, I think that will give less current in the tank. If i pump the water into the holes in the back glass won't it create a lot of current which, from what I have read, discus don't like? Sorry to be a pain but I want to get this right.

Thanks,
Mike

Darrell Ward
10-20-2011, 10:48 PM
As long as you don't go crazy on the size of the return pump, it'll be fine. For 2 overflow boxes, I like to use 2 smaller return pumps, instead of one large pump. With the 2 smaller pumps, no adjustments to flow should be necessary. One of my tanks is a 240 gal. with a 55 gal. sump, that contains a number wild discus. I sized the drains at 1 1/2", the returns at 3/4". It uses 2 Eheim model 1262 pumps, which are rated at about 910 gph each. Works great.

MPETERS
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi,

I like the filter system you suggested and will go with it. I will know more about how to make it work when I get started setting up. You are correct that it will be very simple and easy to maintain.

All the 2" holes in the tank were drilled when I got the tank. It was going to be a reef tank but came in with a crack in the bottom which I have fixed. I will drop them down as needed.

You sould have seen my filter system when I was into reef systems. I added a filter room to the side on the house them plumed all the water in and out through the floor to the filter room and then back to the tanks. It was quite a system.

I am looking forward to getting this discus tank up and running, it will be several months before I get it up and running as I want to take my time and get things right. I will start working on the sump and plumbing this weekend.

Thanks again for all the help, I am sure I will have a lot more questions before I get this thing up and running.

Mike

Darrell Ward
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, reef systems can get out of control. I used to dabble in SPS tanks myself. Always glad to help someone if I can. Be sure to share lots of pictures with us. :D

MPETERS
10-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Again,
Well I am on my way setting up my filter system. I went just a little bigger and am going to use a 75 gal tank. I have two mag pumps on order as well as a sheet of 4" poet foam and 2 cube feet of kaldness. I have yet to order the heaters or the air pump as I want to look around here as I should have them. Once items start comming in I will start building filter system.

Thanks again for all the help.
Mike

Darrell Ward
10-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Should be a heck of a filter with a 75 gal. sump. LOL!

MPETERS
10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi,

Yeap, it is what I had so it makes sense to use it. I decided to use the overflows to drain the water and the holes in the back of the tank to return. I will use some elbows to point the return water in the correct direction to create as little current as possible.

I am looking at http://www.manzanita.com/aqwood.htm for some drift wood does anyone used them? Any other suggestions??

Thanks,
Mike

MPETERS
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi All,

Well I brought all the things I need to build both my 2" stand pipe, however, the stand pipes will not fit into the overflow box. There is just no room for the streel el. From my saltwater days I seem to remember another style of stand pipe, however, I can't recall how it was done. Does anyone have any ideas? I through about drilling holes or cutting slots in the 2" pipe to let water in and putting a cap with an air hole at the top of the pipe. If I keep the holes/slots high but below the the water line do you think that will work.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike