PDA

View Full Version : New RO unit question

Scott293
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I just received a new 100 gpd RO unit that is all hooked up and running. I noticed in the directions it says there is a chemical in the RO membrane that is a preservative. It says do not drink water until it has been flushed for at least 15 minutes. This worries me. I have had both waste and clean water running in the drain for 10 hours now. Has anyone got any advice before I add this water to my breeding pairs? I'm afraid of poisoning them

Sean Buehrle
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Just run 10 gal through it and it will be fine. Unhook your di cartridge first.
All membranes have that stuff in em.

TURQ64
10-26-2011, 07:08 AM
It was fine the second hour; relax...

Scott293
10-26-2011, 07:17 AM
OK pheeew! Thanks

TURQ64
10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
FWIW, I have changed membranes in the past and forgot to re=route the product line, so I have used whatever the perservative is in tank and drinking water..I think I'm o.k., and I know the fish are!

rdub
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Which unit did you get and where did you get it?

Scott293
10-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Which unit did you get and where did you get it?

The unit I got is Purewaterclub.com 5 stage 100 gal per day unit for $98 with free shipping.

Sean Buehrle
10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
The unit I got is Purewaterclub.com 5 stage 100 gal per day unit for $98 with free shipping.

How's it working? What's your Tds at from tap to ro.

rdub
10-27-2011, 03:44 PM
They have so many models. Have you checked your water? What was it before vs now?

Did you get one with a tank?

What caused you to go to a RO unit rather than your tap water?

Scott293
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM
The unit that I got was http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=333

It's working great. I only have the liquid testing kit for KH and GH. I have heard enough times that the electronic meter is not accurate at all. My tap water measures at 160-200ppm and this RO water measures 17ppm. I'm very happy. When/if you order one get a few fittings with it like a float valve, some extra tubing, and some extra connectors. It comes with a few fittings but it's free shipping and those fittings are cheaper there than at home depot.

No I didn't get the pressure tank. I fill one holding tank with RO and the other with tap water. No need for a pressure tank.

Scott293
10-27-2011, 08:41 PM
They have so many models. Have you checked your water? What was it before vs now?

Did you get one with a tank?

What caused you to go to a RO unit rather than your tap water?

I went to RO because of too many eggs turning white.

rdub
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
What are your holding tanks?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm thinking of purchasing tomorrow.

ericatdallas
10-27-2011, 08:57 PM
rdub, I don't know what Scott uses (I think I do actually, but I won't speak for him), but I buy those plastic 55G barrels everyone always raves about. Check Craigslist, you can usually by the ones without removeable lids for $10-15 and the ones with lids for $15-25 (depending on the seller, your area, etc).

I bought two 55G with lids for about $40.

rdub
10-27-2011, 09:00 PM
So are you mixing RO and tap?

No place for storage in my apartment. If I bring in storage containers I'll have to get rid of the discus.

ericatdallas
10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Not yet.

I'm in the process of building my fish room. Unfortunately, I overplanned, overcomplicated, and was overly ambitious and under-performed.

Not only was my original plan much harder than I had imagined, it was far from necessary. Not related to my RO system directly, but I had this grand plan for this super WC system. I still think it's doable, but I was trying to do too much, too quickly, and attempting it too frugally (meaning I have a lot of DIY).

So right now, after wasting a lot of time, I'm just trying to find MORE time to do the bare minimum and hopefully return what I can't use to get some money back.

But I did buy those storage containers to store RO water. My thinking is to have an overflow to the drain pipes (backup) and a float valve (which are readily available).

In your case, I have no idea... during my research/planning phase, I did read that a guy used a trashcan and stored it in his closet.

Scott293
10-27-2011, 11:08 PM
What are your holding tanks?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm thinking of purchasing tomorrow.

Yes Eric is right, I use 55 gallon plastic drums. They are often used in the food industry and are safe. The ones I have were used for catchup. Just to be sure though I use plastic drum bags as liners. I got those liners at Lowes and the drums I found on CL. Yes I am mixing the RO and tap. My target is just under 100ppm. If that doesn't fly I'll go lower.