PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Filters for 65g tank

Tigga
10-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm planning on keeping 5 or 6 discus in my 65g tank. I'd like some suggestions for filters. I really have no clue what i need when it comes to discus. Any suggestions would be very nice.

Stag
10-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Water changes is your primary way of keeping your water clean. With that in mind many people use sponge filters. They are cheap and easy and work well for breeding but take up room in your tank. Most people run HOB (hand on back filters) or Canister filters. Ther are a wide range of prices for these but they are easy to clean and do a good job. Some people are real hardcore and run a sump. These can provide great filteration and customizability as well as help keep your heater etc out of your tank.

To know what filter works best for you answer a few questions:

How much are you looking to spend?

How is your tank setup?(is it on a stand? is the bottom enclosed? are you doing a BB(bare bottom)? does your tank have an bulkhead or overflow?etc.)

How much are you looking to spend?

Will you be trying to breed?

How much/how often are you doing WC(water changes) and cleaning your filter?

Darrell Ward
10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Any type of filter that houses bio will work pretty good. I would avoid filters that use cartridges as media.

Tigga
10-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm planning on having a bare bottom tank to start. I'm able to spend max 200 on equipment (Filter, Heater, Misc.). My set-up isn't established yet as I'm just getting started. With the 3" Discus I'm planning to get I'm assuming I'd need to do WC around every 1-2 days and around 30-50% water. I don't want any stunted fish :p. I'm hoping for a filter with little need to be cared for. I'm also planning to breed in the future, and am getting them young so they can pair:D. Thanks for any help.

Sean Buehrle
10-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I have sponge filters and like to use bio wheel filters like an empower or a penguin 350b.

I don't use the filter cartridges but like the way they add air to the tank by surface agitation. A bio wheel is a good bio filter.

I try and steer clear of any filter that traps debris, it just rots in there.

Stag
10-27-2011, 09:18 PM
If you are growing out fry you will be doing so much water changes and tank cleans a sponge filter will work fine. That is a lot of room for 5-6 3in discus(at first) and as they grow and your WC habits change you can upgrade.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=sponge+filter&hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=19&gs_id=z&xhr=t&q=sponge+filter&qe=c3BvbmdlIGZpbHRlciBhcXVyaQ&qesig=gTr3Y_1eKeXavT-5nronoA&pkc=AFgZ2tnbx_ieskjKyhrzf0tITK3NkSCAPmVqnU-i9ATbNqY-NBTItkgu8fUu-6KTjKDKjVWQFjH5Y77jsaC2xF6xDOEj34gbEQ&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=781&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1900799432140132574&sa=X&ei=xQGqTtL3McTLtgflgqTtDg&sqi=2&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAw

You could grab two of these for your 65g for $20 and take your time finding what you like down the road when your fish's bioload grows. Sponge filters are super easy to clean. Will save on energy costs and double as a bubbler.

jaykne
10-27-2011, 11:30 PM
IMO the best HOB filters for discus are AquaClear I use them on all my tanks except my breeder tanks they just get sponge filters.

PleiadesSTi
10-28-2011, 12:31 AM
I like my rena filstar xp3 canister filter for my 56 gal tank. Works great.