PDA

View Full Version : 4 little ones.

chrisb01
10-27-2011, 06:08 PM
It's been a week and a half since I got four beautiful little Red Discus from the TBAS annual auction. Only about an inch in size. They are hanging around the back of the tank. They were tank born and far from the wild type. They are in a 29 gal. tank. I also have 8 Ameca Splendens, a couple of small BN Plecos and 6 Cory cats in the tank with them.

I'm concern because I feed and sometimes I don't even know if they ate. I'm feeding a wide variety of flakes right now, but they don't come forward to eat. :confused:

Sean Buehrle
10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
How small are they? Post a picture.

If they are real small they might not be ready or have been conditioned to eat flake.

Nm I see they are only an inch.

You might want to go get some brine shrimp eggs and hatch them out so they can have something to eat till you figure this out.

I also suggest you get ahold of al the webmaster here and buy a small package of his fdbw and try feeding them those. My fry ate them first time I dropped them in the tank.

Whatever you do you need to do it quick.
I would get to hatching some brine shrimp real quick.

chrisb01
10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
They are about one inch in size right now.

I'm going to try to find out what they have been fed since born.

Sean Buehrle
10-27-2011, 06:19 PM
They are about one inch in size right now.

I'm going to try to find out what they have been fed since born.

They were most likely fed baby brine and should still eat them.

TNT77
10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
I would also think about seperating the rest of the tankmates from them. Sounds like you have alot of competition for food in there. Corys are good cleaners so food wont be there long if they need a bit of time to come out and eat. And I also believe Splendens are a schooling type fish. Might be a bit much activity for such little ones.

chrisb01
10-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I have contact someone who might know the seller. More to come...

fishcrazed
10-27-2011, 10:06 PM
i think you should give them their own bare bottom tank and grow them out until around 3-4 inch them you can add tankmates. and also 29g is REALLY small for 4 discus alone i think you want tank mates and thriving discus upgrade to a 55g AT THE LEAST

chrisb01
10-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes, you're right. I do have a 55 gal. they will go into when they get a little more size on them. I don't know if I will have tank mates in the 55 gal. with them, we'll see.

fishcrazed
10-27-2011, 11:21 PM
if the 55 is empty why not put them in there right now and grow them out

chrisb01
10-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Well, it's not empty right now, but it will be in about a week. The Angelfish I have in there are going to a friend's about a mile from me. And I will take your advise on that. I'll just take the substrate out and save it. Make it bare bottom.
Thanks a lot for the idea. I do appreciate that.

TNT77
10-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, it's not empty right now, but it will be in about a week. The Angelfish I have in there are going to a friend's about a mile from me. And I will take your advise on that. I'll just take the substrate out and save it. Make it bare bottom.
Thanks a lot for the idea. I do appreciate that.
Honestly atm I would take all the extras out of the 29g, put them (the extras) in the 55g with the angels, and leave the dicus in there. They are 1" right now. They will be lost in the 55g tank. PLUS waterchanges on a 29g versus a 55g at 100% turnover a day will be alot easier.

chrisb01
10-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Good point, and with the price of water here in Florida. I just might take that route.

chrisb01
11-01-2011, 01:08 AM
OK, since my last post, I have removed the other fish from the 29 gal. tank. The Little ones do look more relaxed and loose.
I still need to remove the substrate. I have to do that slowly. a little at a time in order not to stress the babies.

I just did a 75% w/c this afternoon, and stare at them for a while. I'm in LOVE...
The again I love all my fish.

chrisb01
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Update: Unfortunately this morning I woke up to find one of my Little Red ones dead. I don't know why, or how.

My eyes got watery, I prayed, gave him a moment of silence, as his siblings looked on. Then I gave him a free ride in the indoor water slide.
Not a lot of time to mourn, I still have three that need me, they are looking good. Then again, all four looked great yesterday.

Second Hand Pat
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Sorry to read this Chris :(

Sean Buehrle
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM

Sean Buehrle
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear that :(

Are they eating yet?

chrisb01
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Yes, they are eating pretty good. I'm keeping the temp. at 84 - 85, depending on which thermometer you ask.

Sean Buehrle
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, they are eating pretty good. I'm keeping the temp. at 84 - 85, depending on which thermometer you ask.

What are you feeding them?

Keep up on the water changes.

I would raise the temp a few degrees for them, keep em good and warm.

It's good they are eating.

chrisb01
11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm feeding Tropical Premium flakes, Beef Heart flakes, Frozen Blood worms and live Black Worms.

I will raise the temp to 86 - 87.

Yes, keeping up the water changes.

chrisb01
11-09-2011, 10:37 PM
OK, I went and gave the heater a notch up.

Let me know about the feeding, any ideas on that.

chrisb01
11-23-2011, 03:12 AM
OK, by now all should know that it is no longer the '4 Little Ones'. See post #14. So from now on it's the '3 Little Ones'.

I bought a magnifying glass to see them better. They are like a little ladder, big, med, small. All three growing pretty good, just some faster than others. We'll refer to them as #1 for the big one, #2 for the med one and of course #3 for the smallest one.

#1 is showing the blue on the Dorsal and Anal fins. #2 I can see the blue showing with the mag glass. #3 no blue showing yet.

Yes, peppering all over the place, though I don't mind it. I know some here want to know about that. However, #1 has less pep than #2 and #3. Whether they will go away remains to be seen. If I run out of condiments for the turkey, I can scrape some off of them :-)

#1 is about 2", maybe a little bigger, #2 is a little longer than 1 1/2", #3 is about 1 1/4". #2 & #3 are closer in size. I'm happy with their growth rate overall. Of course, I am guesstimating on the size, by holding a ruler to the glass. I don't want to pull them out to measure them yet. I'm treating them nice, keeping them warm. I can't wait to post some pics for you guys and gals to see them. I'm very proud of them.

The Discus will remain my pet project until they are full grown. Sorry, you'll have to put up with me a little while yet. Well, since I've fallen in love with this little guys, I might be here for a very long time. I might just decide to keep Discus all my life, as I have with the Guppies and Angelfish.

A whole different story about the Guppies and Angelfish, and why they are special to me.

Any questions, concerns or worries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Enough, I talk too dang long. Later guys and gals.

MPETERS
11-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you lost one of your little guys. Have they been eating for you yet? I hope all goes well.

Mike

MPETERS
11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Wow, sometimes it seems that I just go brain dead. I just found page 2. Glad to hear that the 3 little guys are doing better and eating. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Skip
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
you need at least 6 in a group.. you would see them just OPEN UP!! sorry about the one that died :(

chrisb01
11-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input and concerns.

Yeah, I was planning on buying two more of around the same size soon, I'll make it three. That will complete the six.

Discus PB
11-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Hey Chris are these the same ones I got from Joe?

chrisb01
11-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Yes, the same exact ones. Might be a different birth date, but yes, same cross, probably same parents.

I need to post some pics.

How are yours coming along?

Discus PB
11-24-2011, 03:34 AM
They are all doing well. One got some heavy peppering but it doesn't bother me none lol. They are almost big as quarters and still have a clear orangish color to them.

chrisb01
11-24-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm glad to hear of the growth progress, and that they are doing well.

Yes, mine have that orangish color too, and two have the heavy peppering. I don't mind it either. To be honest, as long as I can grow them to full size I'll be happy. I love watching them move around. And to me these are keepers. After all they are my first Discus ever. So they have a sort of sentimental value also.

Keep me posted on how they do.

Discus PB
11-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Once they get bigger I may give one or two away to someone that wants to get into discus. That way they can get a cheap healthy one to learn with. Since I seem to be doing good with juveniles. I am looking at getting a breeding pair to try my hand at that. I already got two 30 gallon tanks and have one waiting to be picked up.
Its more of see if I can do it type thing at this point.

chrisb01
11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Update: The biggest of the 3 Little Reds, #1, didn't eat yesterday, and has not ate today.

I'm getting a few more of about the same size later this week or early next week, to complete a group of six.

For right now I'm a little concern about Little Red #1 not eating for the second day. If he doesn't eat by tomorrow, I might have to put an IV in him, and feed him that way :-)

chrisb01
12-02-2011, 02:51 AM
OK, #1 is still not eating. Bryan advised me to raised my temp to 88, and I did, lets see what that does. I'm hoping it's just a phase he is going through.

TNT77
12-02-2011, 03:56 AM
OK, #1 is still not eating. Bryan advised me to raised my temp to 88, and I did, lets see what that does. I'm hoping it's just a phase he is going through.
Hiding alot? Dark?

chrisb01
12-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Hiding some, more than I'd like. Maybe more than half the time.
No, not turning dark.

Talk to me TNT77, what do you think?

TNT77
12-02-2011, 04:13 AM
When was the last time you tested your water? Might want to check your filters. Do you use sponges or hob? What is your water change regimine?

chrisb01
12-02-2011, 04:17 AM
Good question. Probably last Sunday. I'll test first thing in the morning, you might be on to something here...
My bad, I didn't even think of testing.

chrisb01
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
OK, it seems the temp at 88 worked Little Red #1 ate this morning. I will keep the temp at 88 for a few days.

TNT77
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
That's good to hear Chris.

chrisb01
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, with the higher temp he is eating again. However last night I noticed how skinny he really is.
Could he have gotten that skinny in just the few days he didn't eat?

I will do all and everything in my power to save this guy. Short of a blood transfusion.

TNT77
12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Just his belly or through his body and head? Belly yes they will suck up without food for a couple days. Body and head no that takes time.

chrisb01
12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
The head is OK, it does look a little bony, but not skinny. The body is skinny, noticeably.

TNT77
12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
:( Sad to hear. Is it still eating? Is he still dark? Did you ever check your water and filters?

chrisb01
12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Yes, he is still eating.
No not dark at all.
Yes, I'm on top of the water issue, my params are good. I have raised the temp to 88.
I clean my filters at least twice a week sometimes three.

I am planning to boost up my feeding schedule, feed more often with frozen foods and live foods. I noticed he is not eating flakes, but he eats frozen foods the most.

edit: He is hiding still more of the time than not.

MPETERS
12-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Chris,

Hope all goes well with the little guy. Hopefully with all the care you are giving him he will pull through.

Mike

chrisb01
12-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks Mike. Everyone has been so helpful here. I want to express my gratitude in every sense of the word.

TNT77
12-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I agree uping the feedings would be good for him. If he doesn't look like hes picking up weight I would deworm.

chiligum
12-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Just out of interest, what filters are you using, how do you clean them and why so often?!...Lots of food, lots of clean warm water and he should fatten up hopefully, fingers crossed!

chrisb01
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Just out of interest, what filters are you using, how do you clean them and why so often?!...Lots of food, lots of clean warm water and he should fatten up hopefully, fingers crossed!

Good question! I'm using a Fluval and I clean the sponges really good in aquarium water. I want my water to be crystal clear.
Am I doing something wrong here?
As far as this is concern?

I've been feeding pretty good and keeping their belliess full.

chiligum
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
No Chris you haven't been doing it wrong at all, i was just curious as to why they were being cleaned that often, i clean mine when i notice the water movement has slowed down a little, so it's probably me that's doing something wrong, not you!:D

KostasK
12-06-2011, 04:54 AM
It is better if you do not clean your sponges very often as you destroy part of your bacteria population.
Also, try soaking the food (pellets and flakes) in some vitamin to help the little one get better. Do you feed any vegetable flakes? It might help with all the beaf hart.
Kostas

chrisb01
12-06-2011, 05:48 AM
No Chris you haven't been doing it wrong at all, i was just curious as to why they were being cleaned that often, i clean mine when i notice the water movement has slowed down a little, so it's probably me that's doing something wrong, not you!:D

It's all good buddy, thanks.

It is better if you do not clean your sponges very often as you destroy part of your bacteria population.
Also, try soaking the food (pellets and flakes) in some vitamin to help the little one get better. Do you feed any vegetable flakes? It might help with all the beaf hart.
Kostas

Got that. Good point about the filter cleaning, bad habits die hard :-)

Yes, I feed all my fish green peas two - three times a week. I mix it with flakes to a paste and feed.

Should I increase that?

I'll do the vitamin thing. Thanks, good idea.

KostasK
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
It never hearts if you feed too much vegetables when you feed beefheart. You should find your own balance so that you avoid digestion problems by the meat.
The vitamins in the food (not directly in the tank-it is just a waste) will help the small one as well as the rest.
K

chrisb01
12-07-2011, 06:05 AM
you need at least 6 in a group.. you would see them just OPEN UP!!

OK, I have the three Reds from Joe. Now I have a Leopard with Ring Gene, same size as the bigger Red one, and two Diamond Blue same size as the smallest Red one, got them from Angelfish USA. Very healthy, very well packaged, heat packs, everything perfect.

Now I have the group of 6 :-) I'm happy.

KostasK
12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
That is just great. I believe that you will see the difference soon.
K

chrisb01
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
That is just great. I believe that you will see the difference soon.

Yes, thanks. I couldn't sleep last night, worried to death. Got up this morning and everything is fine. The fish are doing great, I'm the nervous wreck :-)

However, I could have never done it, or continue doing it, without you guys and gals here at Simply. I'm just now wetting my toes, testing the Discus keeping waters. Please stick with me a little longer, you won't regret it I promise.

When I hit the Lotto...
I promise to all...
that I will go away and you'll never hear from me again...hahaha... :-)

Nahh...I have already hit the lotto. A great family, 4 grandchildren, fish tanks, Angelfish, Discus. It is the simplest things in life that make us happy.

I had the chance to see, live on TV, Liberace's last interview. He was not wearing any glitter, I remember him saying: "No money in the world can buy health and happiness, I would give it all and more if I could just reverse this disease."

MPETERS
12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Chris,

With all the work and love you give to your "little guys" I am sure all will go well. Congrats on the new gulys.

MIke

TNT77
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Chris, I just realised that you have gotten away with not posting pics through this whole thread. Pay up buddy. Get some pics on here. :D

chrisb01
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Chris, I just realised that you have gotten away with not posting pics through this whole thread. Pay up buddy. Get some pics on here. :D

Pics coming, tomorrow for sure. I've been wanting to post some pics.

Second Hand Pat
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM

Ditto on that ;)

chrisb01
12-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Today was my grandson's fifth b'day, so I was busy all day. Was cutting the grass in thew back yard at 7:00 AM, so they can put one of those giant inflatable things where kids jump and slide, and it even has a basketball hoop on one side (highway robbery).

But the pics will come by weeks end at the latest.

However, you guys must promise not to laugh. Everyone here post such great pics of such beautiful fish...Though, I am very proud of my little Discus, I am not a photographer by any sense of the word or any stretch of the imagination.

chrisb01
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Update: One of the two Blue Diamonds passed on this morning, or sometime in the middle of the night. I cried, I prayed, I kept a moment of silence, and finnaly gave him the Indoor Waterslide Ride. I'm very sad.

Now I'm down to five. The three little Reds from Joe, and one Blue Diamond and one Leopard with Ring Gene, from Angelfish USA.

So up to now I've had seven, one little Red died and one Blue Diamond died. Five left. They are eating very well. They look very 'happy go lucky', as we used to say in Virginia.

Disclaimer: The sellers, Joe Gargas and David & Lisa (Angelfish USA) had no fault or anything to do with these fish dying. The fault lies squarely on me. From my years in fish keeping, I've learn that fish death other than old age, must be attributed and blamed on the keeper. If I would have accomodated the fish (whichever species) with the proper environment and care, they should have lived thier expected lifespan and more.

I have spoken to both, Joe, and David & Lisa over the phone. They are very respectful, courteous and helpful. I will not hesitate to buy from either of them again.

OK, the little Blue Diamond had developed a white cotton like substance on the dorsal fin. I took it out, and apply Hydrogen Peroxide to the area two days in a row. He was eating after that, and seem to be OK. This HP treatment I have used many times with Angelfish and Guppies with very good results; of course, no matter what you do, some fish will go on to the Indoor Waterslide Ride, that's a given.

Sean Buehrle
12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I just read through this entire thread and can't find anywhere that you have listed your water perameters and water change habits . Excuse me if I missed it if you did.

Other than everything is good

What are your nitrate nitrite and ammonia levels.

How old is the tank and is it a bare bottom or does it have substrate.

How much water are you changing a day?

:)

chrisb01
12-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Sean, good question. I'm a little lazy when it comes to testing, I do it at least once a week.

This tank has been running for about two years. However, it did have substrate, until the Little Reds came. Then I took out the substrate. I do have two live plants in there, one to each back corner, they are pretty much out of the way. Tank size is 29 gals., the fish are small still, they will go to a 55 when they get a little size on them. I'm already looking for a spot to put a 125 gal., I'll probably get rid of the 55 and put the 125 there.

The pH = 7.8, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10, Temp = 86, I just lower the temp from 88 back down to 86.

I do 30% - 40% W/C daily, and on Saturdays I do 80% - 90% W/C.

Saturdays is when I do W/C on all my tanks, which are done weekly. The Discus tank is the one that I do on a daily basis.

Talk to me Sean, I'm here to learn. You won't hurt my feelings if you yell :-)

TNT77
12-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Chris if it was me I'd up those water changes to at least 75% a day. Most do 100% once or twice daily on babies as small as yours. I do 75% one day then 90% the next day on my 2"+ babies and they are healthy happy little pigs that grow like weeds.

TNT77
12-12-2011, 04:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your little blue. It's sad when that happens.

chiligum
12-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Chris, don't beat yourself up about one of your fish dying...With the best set-up and will in the world, sometimes these things are taken out of our hands and just happens for no apparent reason...By the sounds of it, you are doing everything you can (and more water changes than i do!) so just keep on with what you are doing my friend IMO!

chrisb01
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the comforting words and your help.

Chris if it was me I'd up those water changes...

Will do.

Skip
12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST ANYMORE!!!!

until you post pics! :)

Sean Buehrle
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Sean, good question. I'm a little lazy when it comes to testing, I do it at least once a week.

This tank has been running for about two years. However, it did have substrate, until the Little Reds came. Then I took out the substrate. I do have two live plants in there, one to each back corner, they are pretty much out of the way. Tank size is 29 gals., the fish are small still, they will go to a 55 when they get a little size on them. I'm already looking for a spot to put a 125 gal., I'll probably get rid of the 55 and put the 125 there.

The pH = 7.8, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10, Temp = 86, I just lower the temp from 88 back down to 86.

I do 30% - 40% W/C daily, and on Saturdays I do 80% - 90% W/C.

Saturdays is when I do W/C on all my tanks, which are done weekly. The Discus tank is the one that I do on a daily basis.

Talk to me Sean, I'm here to learn. You won't hurt my feelings if you yell :-)

LOL
I can't think of anything to yell about, and I like yelling about stuff! :)

But I must say that it is frustrating watching you have such a hard time.

your in this whole heartedly and it seems like your doing everything needed to keep a discus.

I want to say maybe its time to fall back and regroup, but I think I read somewhere that you said you were a marine, and that might not be in your vocabulary.
:)

your stuck in the exact same problem Ive had and a thousand other people have had when they decide to keep discus.

Your fighting a losing battle, or at least one that isnt going to give results worth all your time and resources. even you said that your water isnt cheap.

What your trying to do is going to beat the crap out of ya and eventually your going to give up or decide to go the easy route.

Im suggesting the easy route, which is to quit buying these HARD to raise young discus.

Im not saying give these guys as you say it, The indoor water slide ride, I like that :)

But what I am hoping is that you realize and understand that there is an easier way to keep discus and in the future if this doesnt pan out the way you want it to, you decide to take an easier route that will help you be successful.

good luck :)

TNT77
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST ANYMORE!!!!

until you post pics! :)
+1 :)

chrisb01
12-12-2011, 10:26 PM
warlock4169 & TNT77, please allow me one more...

Sean, you're absolutely right. But I will not give up. I'm going to grow these ones, and my next buy will be for at least 4" ones. I don't think I'll be buying little ones again. But I'm in the Discus game for good. I know I can count with your help as well as warlock's & TNT's and the rest of the gang here.

Now let me go get a camera.

chiligum
12-13-2011, 08:11 AM
I've got 6 @2.5 inch arriving today so it looks like we're fighting this little Discus war together!...Their only 2.5 inch, what are we, men or mice? (and don't say squeek!)

dghby
12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
warlock4169 & TNT77, please allow me one more...
Now let me go get a camera.
Chris, can't you find your camera. haha, I would have to agree with the rest, Pictures Please!!!

chrisb01
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Chris, can't you find your camera. haha, I would have to agree with the rest, Pictures Please!!!

I have it right here. But yes, I had to wrestle my daughters for it. I'm just waiting for my daughter from Orlando, so she can download the pics. into her laptop and clear the memory card.

I do want to post some pics. I should have done it before, but I have a bad case of procrastination :-)

And I need some pics of some fish I want to put on AB also.

chrisb01
12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm still working on the pics guys and gals. I'm not too good at this. But I will surprise you soon.

In the meantime, I'm sneaking in a few times a day to see what others are posting. I want to keep learning, if I don't check once in a while, I think I'm missing something.

Sean Buehrle
12-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm still working on the pics guys and gals. I'm not too good at this. But I will surprise you soon.

In the meantime, I'm sneaking in a few times a day to see what others are posting. I want to keep learning, if I don't check once in a while, I think I'm missing something.

Well don't sweat the pics, if you don't want to post pics of your fish, it's no big deal.

As Liz said in a post a week or so ago,( I don't feel like posting a pic right now), lol. Or something to that affect :)

chrisb01
12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Well don't sweat the pics, if you don't want to post pics of your fish, it's no big deal.

As Liz said in a post a week or so ago,( I don't feel like posting a pic right now), lol. Or something to that affect :)

I want to, and can't wait to. I'm very proud of my little guys, I think they are looking pretty good, if it is just by my own standards.

I'll figure it out :-)

I probably need a better camera. The Discus move, the pics are fuzzy, etc. It's always something. I have a cheap Kodak Easy Share C183, 14 MP.

chrisb01
12-28-2011, 02:08 AM
The biggest of the Little Reds has not ate in a few days. He doesn't look good. I had problems with him not eating before. Back then I raised the temp to 88', it doesn't seem to be working this time.

We shall see.

MPETERS
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Chris,

Hope all goes well with your sick little guy. How is he doing today? I know you have put your a lot of time and love into these guys. Best of luck.

Mike

chrisb01
12-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Mike. He is looking better, but still not eating. It is somewhat disappointing, since I got him to eat before and gain some weight. But I think he'll come around again. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

chiligum
12-29-2011, 04:58 AM
I've got one like that that has decided he doesn't like food anymore!
He is still perfect looking and not dark or anything, but there is a bit of spongy white poop.
There is always something that lets you down, just when you think you have the perfect set-up!
Good luck mate!

chrisb01
12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Mine is not dark either, but getting skinnier by the minute. His face is getting bony.

TNT77
12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Have you wormed them Chris? You could try a round of metro.

chiligum
12-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Mine are all well fed at the minute so i'm not overly worried.
If yours is really bony and thin there might not be a way back for the fella:(

chrisb01
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Have you wormed them Chris? You could try a round of metro.

I have never used Metro before. Can I get that at the LFS, or what would be the best source?

lipadj46
12-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I have never used Metro before. Can I get that at the LFS, or what would be the best source?

angelsplus or kensfish. you can probably get general cure locally that is prazi and metro

chrisb01
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
angelsplus or kensfish. you can probably get general cure locally that is prazi and metro

Great, thanks, I'll check around here. I have an order to put in at Kens also, the sooner the better.

MPETERS
12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi Chris,

I know this is a silly question but have you tried different foods? Maybe something will intise him to eat. Just a thought.

Have a Happy New Year.

Mike

chrisb01
12-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks Mike. Yes, I have fed this guys just about everything available. They eat 4 or 5 different foods a day.

TNT77
12-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Do hope your little starts eating again Chris. Hopefully a worming is all it needs. :)

TNT77
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Chris how is your youngin doing? Has he ate yet?

chrisb01
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Chris how is your youngin doing? Has he ate yet?

No, he didn't make it :-( To make things worst, the little Blue Diamond has disappeared from the tank. I have looked everywhere, inside and outside the tank, nothing. I keep looking at the tank hoping to make him appear, like "Hey buddy I'm back."

Now I have three left, two of Joe's Reds, and the Leopard from Angelfish USA.

I have ordered some Metro from Kens. So I will treat the three I have left.

Also, I'm starting to shop for a 125 gal. or 150 gal. tank to set up. I will not buy anymore Discus till NADA. I'm hoping to bring some nice ones from there for that tank I'm looking for. One thing is for sure, I'm not giving up on Discus. My aim is to have a nice collection of Discus, just as I do of Angelfish and Guppies.

I'm thinking of driving to NADA, this way I can take some coolers with me and bring a few Discus back with me.

TNT77
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Sorry to hear that Chris. Do you have any openings on the top of your tank. Could be a jumper. But glad to hear your not giving up. Should be some excellent fish there. I'm hoping to get there myself. :)

chiligum
01-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Sorry to hear that mate, it's always annoying when things are out of your hands and things go wrong.
I had a break from Discus for 3 years when i very 1st kept them, it all went wrong and i said i would never have them again unless i was a lot more informed/prepared next time round!
Whoever you are and however much experience you have, you will always get a few problems crop up from time to time, that is why there are so many questions asked on Forums like this every day of the week!
Hopefully your other 3 will be just fine and you can find them some new mates to hang out with in the near future, all the best!

chrisb01
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks TNT77 and chiligum. Yeah, it is a whole different ball game than with any other fish.

However, I have kept Guppies and Angelfish for a long time, and I'm still learning and having problems from time to time with them also.

nwehrman
01-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Sorry for the streak of bad luck... Nada should be great! Get your tank ready and keep working with your trio! You are learning every day and that helps us all. Every day we keep at it we learn a little bit more. Hope these three do good - metro is a good drug. Follow the advice on here for dosing though not general dosing directions - learned that and had to treat my first ones twice instead o once for it to work.

MPETERS
01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi Chris,

Sorry you lost some little guys. I know you worked hard giving them a good home. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, things just do not work out. Best of luck.

Mike

chrisb01
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks Mike. You're right, but we have to keep on plugging. I'm grateful for all you guys and gals here at SD that help keep me going.

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Chris,this post is steeped in sarcasm.What we,I,seem to do best around here,especially for discus noob's,is kill discus.Turn a steely sharks eye to what you have,purchase some new stock and start again.Kill less,start again.My first batch was nine,one survived.Alittle stunted,but my wife finds him pretty,so a limited success.

chrisb01
01-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks Bill, sarcasm is good when it is constructive, and your post is very constructive.
That's really what I'm thinking. I'll keep these three, but set up the tank and get some new stock and start again.
I guess that starting with Discus is pretty much like starting with salt water, the first few fish are mostly the sacrificial lambs, sort of speak. I hate to say it like that, but reality sets in sooner or later.

TNT77
01-04-2012, 03:39 AM
I for one have not been sarcastic at all. You have to start somewere with discus and I do believe Chris was doing his best. It is a shame when they are lost but it is also a learning experience as to how not to lose more later on.

shoveltrash
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
so sorry to read this........just wanted to wish you luck in your future project.

the first few fish are mostly the sacrificial lambs, sort of speak. I hate to say it like that, but reality sets in sooner or later.yeah, I'm well aquainted with this. my 1st are still alive (dumb luck I keep saying), but hey I have learned SO MUCH from them! and from this forum :)

chrisb01
01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
I do want to thank everyone at SD. For the most part everyone has been very patient and helpful. If I still have these three left, I owe it to you guys and gals here at SD.

Again, I will not give up on Discus. I am well aware that there is a learning curve that hits some harder than others. I keep the three I have left and give them a lot of TLC, because I do love them.

It does hurt to loose even one, but just as a boxer must get up and keep punching after being knocked down, I'm ready to go on with what I have. And I will get more in the future. Like the song says: "Ain't no stopping us now." :-)

Bill63SG
01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
I want to say this like my fourth cycle buying discus,and each time got a little better,and the fish grew up a little bigger.Actually been selling off some of my older fish that were stunted,or now I see they don't look right.I was up front with every person,and would point out what I thought was wrong,but also why they were so cheap.I'm no expert by far,just better at it then when I started.Watch out for the three,bad number for discus.