PDA

View Full Version : Need help with RO / Di system functions

Samsmobb
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
So I'm looking at getting the coraline pure flo II RO unit (I choose this for the ease of buying and returning to petsmart if there are any problems.) I've seen it does say "DI " on it? Is that a problem if all I want to do is lower my nitrates from well water? It cones out of tap at 40 ppm :/
Again I just want to lower nitrates i don't care bout all else, I have buffers and trace elements etc but I've seen mixed things all over google about which ones remove nitrates and which don't. :(

They state this

" The CORALIFE Pure-Flo Reverse Osmosis Water Purification System generates 99% pure water for safe aquarium use. The unit is designed to remove hardness, heavy metals, toxins and many other tap water impurities. The faucet attachment makes this system easy to use while making an aquatic environment safer for your underwater pets. "

TURQ64
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
One of my units is a Coralife 50 with DI..DI removes the minute things the RO membrane misses, making lower TDS...Gary

Chad Hughes
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
If you are simply trying to reduce/remove nitrate in your well water, the DI unit is not necessary. The DI unit is an ion exchange resin that changes the ionic properties of the water. It doesn't really remove anything. All RO membranes remove nearly 100% of nitrate plus other water contaminants.

Hope that helps!

Samsmobb
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Thank you both! Answered both my questions.
Turq how do you rate the coraline 50?

TURQ64
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
The coralife 50 is a great unit, for me it just isn't a high gpd outfit,so...it basically serves our personal home and non fish needs...nothing to do with it's effeciency, it's fine..I just use a great deal more product water...I like it's non'refillable, color changing resin...spendy, but easy to use..

Samsmobb
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Well I have a 46 gallon so I don't see a need for anything more than 50 gpd you know?
Assuming we are talking about the same coralife pure flo 2 RO system ( no DI I believe ), petsmart carries two different chambers/membranes beside the actual system. Are those all I replace? I just don't know what your referring to by the "resin" I'm now exciting about soon getting my RO system :)

TURQ64
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Mine is a 50gpd, RO/DI..two filter carts, one DI cart, one RO membrane...To each his own, but I always recommend a way larger unit than you think you'll need..emergencies can arise...I didn't get mine from Petsmart, I got it from F&S....

Samsmobb
11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
You've been a great help turq I really appreciate it!
Ive seen two diff 50 gpd models one had three filters carts and the other had two. I would assume the one with three had a DI system and the other doesn't.