PDA

View Full Version : My Altums after four weeks

ExReefer
11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Purchased these from HAW. Bought eight, but two died from what I believe was Columnaris. They were the smallest two of the bunch and just couldn't fight it off even with meds.

The others are doing very well and I've got them fully acclimated my tap water now. I've been working in more and more tap water with each water change over the past three weeks. Tap water TDS is 130-140 this time of year for me. PH is 7.8 and they could care less. Just like discus, they love lots of water changes and clean tanks. They eat everything I throw in the tank, but their favorite food is freeze dried blackworms.

They get stronger and more bold each day that goes by. That red string in the top photo attached to the fish is poop from Bill's Super BH flake.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/Altums/DSC_0935.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/Altums/DSC_0937.jpg

TURQ64
11-07-2011, 08:25 AM
They look good; I might have to order some up to place with my F1's...

hedut
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
they look beautiful :)

YSS
11-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Very nice!

ExReefer
11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I've wanted Altums for as long as I can remember. I really pushed it last night with the largest water change they've seen to date. I did an 80% change with unaged tap and SAFE with no problems. Just like my discus, the Altums become very lively after the WC's. Chasing each other around, swimming up and down the glass, attacking food, etc. I'm just thrilled they have adapted to my local water source.

These are the six that made it through quarantine and seem to be on the right path now. I'm already starting to look on craigslist for a 125G. My 75G will eventually become too small for them. I've been wanting a six foot tank for a long time, so this is a good excuse.

Theloachguy
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM
love em! keep up those water changes and you will be successful.

neon
12-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Where did you buy the angels from and if you don't mind me asking how much did they cost?

damba
12-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Really nice - great species. The most regal of the amgels.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

ExReefer
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Where did you buy the angels from and if you don't mind me asking how much did they cost?

I got them from Houston Aquarium Warehouse. Talk to them on pricing.

ExReefer
12-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Really nice - great species. The most regal of the amgels.

Thanks. I would tell everyone that once they recover from shipping, they are as hardy as any other domestic angelfish. The only difference I've noticed is that they are a little more skittish than domestics. They don't hide or huddle in the corner, but they will spook ande flee if someone hits the glass or approaches the tank too quickly. They are wild fish, so it does not surprise me. They also won't eat from my hand yet. My wild discus eventually were trained to eat from hand, so it's only a matter of time with these Altums.

Their fins are really starting to grow out. Trailers coming off their tails. I'll post some update photos soon.

Chicago Discus
12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
ok Im going to ask a stupid question, I never had angels. Do they basically live in the same parameters as Discus...LOL.........Josie

damba
12-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes and no. Scalares commonly live with discus but altums are a different kettle of fish. They need to be treated like wild heckels. Leopoldi are easy. The best compromise is the peruvian altum. A beautiful altum like scalare. A stunning fish.
Tom

ExReefer
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
ok Im going to ask a stupid question, I never had angels. Do they basically live in the same parameters as Discus...LOL.........Josie

See my first post. I treat them just like discus and they are doing great. In the wild, they do live in acidic waters with very low TDS, but like most any fish, they can be slowly acclimated to tap water. I've never kept Heckles, so I can't comment on those, but I had wild brown discus acclimated to tap water without any issues.

jimg
12-24-2011, 02:39 PM
very nice! I was able to save 3 of mine with salt dips and scissors they grew their fins back but still hide a lot. their starting to grow now, from less than dime size to nickle size. I hope they will continue, they had a bad travel!

chiligum
12-30-2011, 05:44 AM
I've always wanted to keep Altums but were told they were harder to keep than Discus!...The other reason i haven't had them is the size of the tank they need, i've heard they get enormous (top to bottom anyway) and my tank is only 25.5 inches deep!

ExReefer
12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
They are not any harder than domestic angelfish once the become acclimated to your water. I would say they are easier than discus. They don't get stressed and stop eating over every little thing like discus can do. My Altums can go a week between water changes and they will eat with gusto at each feeding. If I went a week between water changes with my discus, I would notice appetites dropping. I could probably go even longer between WC's with the Altums will no issues.

shoveltrash
12-30-2011, 01:35 PM
beautiful! (all of the new Altum posts/pics are making me want some LOL!)

chiligum
12-30-2011, 01:47 PM
But i still don't know if my tank is deep enough or not?!
At this rate, i will be selling all my Discus and end up getting a load of these instead, they are stunning!