PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea

mr.wen
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Just starting out with discus , want to start with juvies. I have a up and running 75 gal. That I had some
Oranda in. They are gone and want to start over with discus. So my ? Is can I take out everything start with bare bottom and raise them in there? Then when they get big drain the water add pool filter sand and put the same water back in ? FYI will be using penguin 350 bio wheel 2 of them. Just want to make sure that doesn't stress them out to move them out while I add the sand. I just hate BB tanks but know it's easier to clean when you are growing them out. Any comments would be great thanks.

TURQ64
11-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Yep, bad idea..Clean and bleach the tank thoroughly, and start from scratch..I also keep Oranda, but not near my Discus..They are filthy bulldozers that can mess anything up..They have differeny parameters than Discus, so..Empty the tank, and start from scratch..JMO..Gary

mr.wen
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Would I have to do anything to my filter (bio wheels) or just clean the tank?

Sean Buehrle
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Would I have to do anything to my filter (bio wheels) or just clean the tank?

Don't use your old filters, everything new or sanitized.

Just rely on water changes to keep ammo and nitrite in check.

Daily water changes.

Good luck.

Jennie
11-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I've grown young fish out with pool filter sand in the tank..It's not that hard to clean or keep that way.the sand granuals are so small that particles cant get into it that easily. you didnt say how many juvies you were getting? If you do 90% wc a day, you really don't need to worry abt a flter. just add airstones. keep glass clean.

ZX10R
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I've grown young fish out with pool filter sand in the tank..It's not that hard to clean or keep that way.the sand granuals are so small that particles cant get into it that easily. you didnt say how many juvies you were getting? If you do 90% wc a day, you really don't need to worry abt a flter. just add airstones. keep glass clean.

I have done this also and for your filters I would clean them with bleach and reuse them

DonMD
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
All the above comments are true. If there are any pathogens in your system and you bring in expensive discus, you'll be trying to diagnose disease and dumping meds in. Start with a totally disinfected system. If you can be patient for about 5 weeks, you can then do a fishless cycle (you can search the forum, there's tons of advice on how to do it, it's easy), then bring in your clean discus bought from a Simply sponsor, and you'll be way ahead of most discus keepers. Good luck!

afriend
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
The easy way to disinfect your tank and everything else you use is to use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. Mix it at the rate of 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide (3 %) to 1.5 gallons of water. I have found that warm to moderately hot water works best. Let the mixture sit overnight and just rinse it clean the next day. Hydrogen peroxide (3%) is available at Wal-mart in the pharmacy section. It costs about $1 per quart. Do not put it in your bio-filter. The nice thing about this method is that it is easy to use and all it takes is a quick rinse to get rid of all the gunk. After rinsing, what remains of the hydrogen peroxide is not toxic to plants, fish, or the bio-filter. This method not only disinfects, but also cleans everything. If you have a large tank to disinfect and clean, hydrogen peroxide (35%) is available on the internet at a substantial savings. Just mix the 35% H202 at the rate of 1 quart for each 20 gallons. I have used this method for many years and it really works great.