PDA

View Full Version : KH powder

ozone
11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Hello,

I bought some kh powder from the lfs and it works well! I'm a bit worried that I'm just buying sodium Bi carbonate though.Can the Sodium Bicarbonate be used as kh powder? Very soft tap water where I live so to stop ph crash I need to add something.:)

Sean Buehrle
11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
How long are you aging your water.

What's your ph out of tap and after it ages.

Chad Hughes
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
All I ever use to increase KH is sodium bicarbonate. :D

ericatdallas
11-10-2011, 01:00 AM
I bet it's just baking soda. There are other things, but they're more expensive. If you're really dead set against using sodium bicarbonate, I think calcium carbonate (antacid) powder should work too (but much more expensive).

ozone
11-10-2011, 04:12 AM
ph 7.5 out the tap.kh 1 dkh, gh 20ppm.I'm just cycling the tank now. Normally I fill my water change water tank the night b4 Add dechlorinator and a bit of seachem acid buffer and bring up the kh with the unknown powder(I think it's baking soda) and put a heater in the water change container to bring the heat up a bit. then the next night do a waterchange! If I'm buying sodium Bicabonate for 10 bucks I feel like a fool as you can get it from the supermarket for much cheaper!lol:)

ozone
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
ph after I age the water is 6.5 as I add acid to bring it down a bit

Eddie
11-11-2011, 04:43 AM
If you are cycling the filters, why add the acid to adjust the PH down? It will cycle faster with the higher PH.

ozone
11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the input eddie, guess I just learnt a new thing!!didn't know that tanks age quicker with a higher ph.the reason I brought it down was to get used to the fluctuations and learn how much kh and that it needs to stay at a steady 6.5 no surprises! thankyou for the reply. Alan :)

Second Hand Pat
11-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi Alan, you will find that once your tank is stable it's ph will be lower then your tap. Sounds like your buffering capability (kh) might need some help.