PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my RO Unit - Have some questions

scubajustin
11-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Good Morning!

I am in need of you help. I am going to set up my RO unit this weekend, and I have a few questions that I would like to ask the group.

I will have a storage tank that I will fill with city water and RO(50% mix), and then pump the mixed water into the tank. With a 7 month old about ready to crawl – I want to make WC as automated as possible, rather than using buckets.

So here are my questions for the group:

- Should I have a shut off valve to my RO unit at the city water connection or at the final product end? If I have a float as a shut off valve in my storage bucket, will that float be able to hold back the pressure from the RO unit?
- Do the RO membranes need to be constantly used, or can the membranes sit in water without being used?
- Do you know where I can get more tubing for the RO units, and do you have any suggestions on of what type to tubing that I could use from the storage tank to the fish tank?

Thank you for your help and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Justin

Sean Buehrle
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Good Morning!

I am in need of you help. I am going to set up my RO unit this weekend, and I have a few questions that I would like to ask the group.

I will have a storage tank that I will fill with city water and RO(50% mix), and then pump the mixed water into the tank. With a 7 month old about ready to crawl – I want to make WC as automated as possible, rather than using buckets.

So here are my questions for the group:

- Should I have a shut off valve to my RO unit at the city water connection or at the final product end? If I have a float as a shut off valve in my storage bucket, will that float be able to hold back the pressure from the RO unit?
- Do the RO membranes need to be constantly used, or can the membranes sit in water without being used?
- Do you know where I can get more tubing for the RO units, and do you have any suggestions on of what type to tubing that I could use from the storage tank to the fish tank?

Thank you for your help and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Justin

You can buy the plastic tubing at lowes or home depot, in plumbing area.

Use a float valve at your barrel. Buy a good adjustable one that has stainless adjustment screws, makes life a lot easier.

Buy a good high output pump either online or from lps and at least 3/4 vinyl tubing to hook up to it to fill aquarium.

Membrane stays wet in housing when not in use .

DiscusOnly
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
In order to have auto shut off of the incoming water to the RO unit, you need a float valve at the storage barrels and an ASOV on the RO unit.

Moon
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I have a similar set up. My RO storage tank has a float valve and when the tank is full it shuts off the RO. The waste does not shut off. The pressure from the RO is small and a float valve should be able to handle it.
RO membranes should be covered in water at all times and need not be in use all the time.
The RO suppliers should have all the necessary tubing and fittings. I have a submerged pump in my storage tank. I use regular vinyl tubing from Home Depot to transfer the RO water from the storage tank to my tanks.
HTH

jimg
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Agree with above
if you go with 3/4" tubing instead of pvc get it from a pet shop or jehmco.the smaller 1/4" is fine from home depot or lowes but the bigger tubing is not worth the vinyl it's made from!

Sean Buehrle
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Agree with above
if you go with 3/4" tubing instead of pvc get it from a pet shop or jehmco.the smaller 1/4" is fine from home depot or lowes but the bigger tubing is not worth the vinyl it's made from!

Vinyl does suck sometimes. My pump has a threaded end that a regular garden hose threads onto.

jimg
11-15-2011, 07:30 PM
some of the tubing I got from home depot the black stuff is ok but the clear tubing(not sure if it's vinyl as I said) is terrible. comes with kinks that never come out.
I use a short piece of tubing on the pump, then all pvc

scubajustin
11-15-2011, 08:20 PM
In order to have auto shut off of the incoming water to the RO unit, you need a float valve at the storage barrels and an ASOV on the RO unit.

DiscusOnly - Thank you for your help. I have a float for my water storage, and I will go and pickup a ASOV for the RO Unit.
Justin

scubajustin
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I have a similar set up. My RO storage tank has a float valve and when the tank is full it shuts off the RO. The waste does not shut off. The pressure from the RO is small and a float valve should be able to handle it.
RO membranes should be covered in water at all times and need not be in use all the time.
The RO suppliers should have all the necessary tubing and fittings. I have a submerged pump in my storage tank. I use regular vinyl tubing from Home Depot to transfer the RO water from the storage tank to my tanks.
HTH

Moon - Thank you. With your RO unit, how much waste water does your unit produce when your storage tank is full? What type of pump do you use for your tank? Again thank you for your help.

Justin

scubajustin
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Jim & Sean,

Thank you for your help - I will get some none Vinyl 3/4" tubing for the storage tank. Do you have any issues will mold growing inside the tube? Also do you age your water?

Justin

jimg
11-15-2011, 08:40 PM
I age my ro waste. mainly to heat it and not dump filtered water down the drain, it does go from 7.5 ph to 8.0+ in 24 hrs though. I mix ro with straight tap in other tanks. I use ec as a guide not ph. I flush my storage and piping a couple times a year with 1/2 hr bleach to clean lines, never see any mold.
most ro units will have about 5 gal waste for every gal ro.

Sean Buehrle
11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Nope no mold, when you do water changes just lift the hose and empty it back into the container so it's dry .

I always age water.

Try and find this float valve I can't remember where I got it but I'll look, it's a good float. It's called a stainless float valve because the wing nut is stainless. Best float I've ever had.
I can raise or lower my water level 4 inches, and that's really helpful in adjusting for your proper Tds. Just figure where the ro level is at and set it then top off with tap, perfect Tds every time.
http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1535-bdb9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1549-83e8.jpg

Ps your ro filter will come with an auto shutoff, it's a little plastic box looking thing that all your hoses are hooked up to. Looks like this so no need to buy one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1499-8e38.jpg

It seems kinda complicated but it's all really simple.
Good luck.

Moon
11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Moon - Thank you. With your RO unit, how much waste water does your unit produce when your storage tank is full? What type of pump do you use for your tank? Again thank you for your help.

Justin
Not quite sure how much waste water is produced. It's a lot. I normally turn off the water supply when my RO storage is full.

Moon
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I got my float valve from Jehmco for $9.

MostlyDiscus
11-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Make sure to filter your tap(city water) as well as the water going to your RO. If you plan to use city water straight then add a de-clorinator.

scubajustin
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Nope no mold, when you do water changes just lift the hose and empty it back into the container so it's dry .

I always age water.

Try and find this float valve I can't remember where I got it but I'll look, it's a good float. It's called a stainless float valve because the wing nut is stainless. Best float I've ever had.
I can raise or lower my water level 4 inches, and that's really helpful in adjusting for your proper Tds. Just figure where the ro level is at and set it then top off with tap, perfect Tds every time.
http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1535-bdb9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1549-83e8.jpg

Ps your ro filter will come with an auto shutoff, it's a little plastic box looking thing that all your hoses are hooked up to. Looks like this so no need to buy one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde4d9-1499-8e38.jpg

It seems kinda complicated but it's all really simple.
Good luck.

Sean - Thank you for the pictures of your float and your RO unit. Other than the washer, is your float plastic? Also, what do you use for your storage tank? I am thinking about a 50 gal trash can with a lid.

Justin

scubajustin
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I age my ro waste. mainly to heat it and not dump filtered water down the drain, it does go from 7.5 ph to 8.0+ in 24 hrs though. I mix ro with straight tap in other tanks. I use ec as a guide not ph. I flush my storage and piping a couple times a year with 1/2 hr bleach to clean lines, never see any mold.
most ro units will have about 5 gal waste for every gal ro.

Jim - What do you use your waste water for then? Also - what is the reason for aged water?

Justin

jimg
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Justin The reason for aging water is to 1 heat it and 2 off gas the co2 in it. some water will read a ph of example 7.2 then when it's aerated the ph will rise to 8.2 which a big swing in ph can be stressful to some fish.
I used the ro waste mainly for raising juveniles and mixing back with ro on other tanks to get my desired tds

scubajustin
11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Jim - That makes sense. So the RO waste is really just filtered city water - right? I am amazed that there would be a large Ph swing when you age water. Another questions for you - what do you store your water in? Thank you for all of your help!

Justin

jimg
11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Yes it's goes through the sediment then a carbon then down the drain! that's why I hate wasting it
Some people have bigger swings some have none. the best way is to get a few gallon container or fish tank fill it check ph now then 24 hrs later, important for the water to be the same temp for the ph readings
I went to a wine making place and got 2 55 gallon food grade drums with the lids cut off think I paid $40.00 each not sure
I use and iwaki pump and float valves in each drum. the waste I have a tee and a high loop so when the float stops the water entering the tank it is still able to flow to the drain. you cannot have a float/shutoff valve on the waste line

Sean Buehrle
11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Sean - Thank you for the pictures of your float and your RO unit. Other than the washer, is your float plastic? Also, what do you use for your storage tank? I am thinking about a 50 gal trash can with a lid.

Justin

Yeah the whole thing is plastic but the bolt, nut and washer.

The reason I suggested it mostly is because you don't have problems with placement on your barrel.
Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to drill your mounting hole.
But you'll figure it out.

Sure a 50 gal trash can will work great. As Jim suggested a 55 gal plastic barrel is a good way to go too. At some point I'm going to have a fish room in my basement and blue barrels are going to be my choice.
A good place to get them is a car wash, they have soaps and other cleaning agents in them and are safe to use with proper washing.

I have a couple different ways I store water. For my fry I have a old 90 gal tank sitting next to their tanks and use it.
For my adult stendkers I use a 30 gal trash can that only gets used on their tank.

And for some fish I got from angelfish USA which are in another part of my house I use a 55 gal plastic barrel.

I change all my Juvies water every day.
My adults get the 30 gal change once every two days and a 100 percent change at least once a week.
They are in a 40 breeder and seem fine with it.
I use all separate tools for different tanks, cause I'm a worry wart and don't want sick fish.

If you do go the 55 gal barrel route, remember to cut the inside of the barrel out and not the whole top. The ring around the top keeps the barrel ridged and looks a lot better too.

Hth.

CrazyAngels
11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
or you can buy what's called an open top barrel, where basically the whole top is held on by a ring. that is what I use for my collection and works great.

scubajustin
11-17-2011, 06:01 PM
or you can buy what's called an open top barrel, where basically the whole top is held on by a ring. that is what I use for my collection and works great.

CrazyAngels - Where did you get your barrels?

Justin

scubajustin
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Yeah the whole thing is plastic but the bolt, nut and washer.

The reason I suggested it mostly is because you don't have problems with placement on your barrel.
Sometimes it's hard to figure out where to drill your mounting hole.
But you'll figure it out.

Sure a 50 gal trash can will work great. As Jim suggested a 55 gal plastic barrel is a good way to go too. At some point I'm going to have a fish room in my basement and blue barrels are going to be my choice.
A good place to get them is a car wash, they have soaps and other cleaning agents in them and are safe to use with proper washing.

I have a couple different ways I store water. For my fry I have a old 90 gal tank sitting next to their tanks and use it.
For my adult stendkers I use a 30 gal trash can that only gets used on their tank.

And for some fish I got from angelfish USA which are in another part of my house I use a 55 gal plastic barrel.

I change all my Juvies water every day.
My adults get the 30 gal change once every two days and a 100 percent change at least once a week.
They are in a 40 breeder and seem fine with it.
I use all separate tools for different tanks, cause I'm a worry wart and don't want sick fish.

If you do go the 55 gal barrel route, remember to cut the inside of the barrel out and not the whole top. The ring around the top keeps the barrel ridged and looks a lot better too.

Hth.

Sean,

Sweet I have the same float as you - it is all plastic with the metal wingnut. Thank you for the barrel idea - I will look into it. Also, could you send me some pictures of your tanks? With your adult discus, how do you do a 100 percent water change? I would imagine you take the discus out to for a 100 percent water change.

Justin

Sean Buehrle
11-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Sean,

Sweet I have the same float as you - it is all plastic with the metal wingnut. Thank you for the barrel idea - I will look into it. Also, could you send me some pictures of your tanks? With your adult discus, how do you do a 100 percent water change? I would imagine you take the discus out to for a 100 percent water change.

Justin

I empty the tanks till the hose can't suck any more water, fish laying on the bottom of the tank.
You have to remember to unplug the heaters.

I only have two adult discus, stendkers from Hans. There's a thread in Hans's area titled stendker leopards with fry, plenty of pictures.

I haven't taken any pics of my fish from angelfish USA lately but will tomorrow.

Good deal on the float:)

ericatdallas
11-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Does anyone do overflows on their barrels? My biggest fear is that the float valve/switch fails (even with redundancy), so I was considering drilling an overflow into the barrels that would drain through PVC just in case.

CrazyAngels
11-18-2011, 05:00 AM
I got mine from a friend, but doing some searching I found you a great deal at approx $30 each (not sure what shipping would be), here is the website.
http://www.arizonabarrels.com/55_gallon_open_top_barrels_drums.html

There is also this other place in Texas and shipping would be free for the drum, but price is higher of course. Here is that website.
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/plastic-drum-55-gallon-opentop-reconditioned.html

My mixed tap/RO aging/heating barrel is a horizontal leg tank, which is different and you can find those at farm supply type shops. HTH

CrazyAngels - Where did you get your barrels?

Justin

CrazyAngels
11-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Not a bad idea Eric, I have my RO waste water and my WC H2O all going to a tote which I then use to water my lawn. I just may do an overflow to it also for the RO tank. I did have my float fail on me twice and got water all over the carpet.

Does anyone do overflows on their barrels? My biggest fear is that the float valve/switch fails (even with redundancy), so I was considering drilling an overflow into the barrels that would drain through PVC just in case.

jimg
11-18-2011, 09:59 AM
on my waste barrel I have an overflow. I put a tee on the inlet line. one line goes to the float valve the other I loop high above the barrel to keep pressure on the float feed line and then to a drain. then on the barrel I have a 1/2" tee higher than the float as a backup.

scubajustin
11-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I got mine from a friend, but doing some searching I found you a great deal at approx $30 each (not sure what shipping would be), here is the website.
http://www.arizonabarrels.com/55_gallon_open_top_barrels_drums.html

There is also this other place in Texas and shipping would be free for the drum, but price is higher of course. Here is that website.
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/plastic-drum-55-gallon-opentop-reconditioned.html

My mixed tap/RO aging/heating barrel is a horizontal leg tank, which is different and you can find those at farm supply type shops. HTH

Thank you for doing the reasearch on these barrels - I will check these sites out and get two barrels. Again thank you for your help.

Justin

scubajustin
11-18-2011, 03:01 PM
on my waste barrel I have an overflow. I put a tee on the inlet line. one line goes to the float valve the other I loop high above the barrel to keep pressure on the float feed line and then to a drain. then on the barrel I have a 1/2" tee higher than the float as a backup.

Jim - could you take a picture of your overflow?

Justin

scubajustin
11-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Eric - Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't even think about an overflow system.

Justin

ericatdallas
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for bringing this up. I didn't even think about an overflow system.

Yeah, what happened to Jorge is what I'm worried about. I envy those people with drains in their basement floors. I don't know what it's called, but there is a hole in my basement with a pump in it for when it rains to prevent flooding. I'm on a hill, so it's kind of not necessary. I'm pretty sure though that if my RO filter failed, the pump could handle it, but I would still rather not have to worry about the mess and water damage if all I have to do is punch a hole in the barrel and buy about $5 in PVC.

Just kind of curious if people do it and if so, how they implement it. However, an overflow would easily solve the problem of a switch failure. I figured 3/4" PVC could easily handle the output of MOST RO systems. If anything, it'll at least minimize damage.

ErikO
11-21-2011, 07:15 AM
How does the auto shutoff work?

DiscusOnly
11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
How does the auto shutoff work?

http://www.airwaterice.com/category/z.7/

ErikO
11-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank you.