PDA

View Full Version : 30 Gal Planted fish help please?

FishNewbie
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Hello friends,

A new friend of mine DiscusLoverJeff introduced me to this forum in hopes for some advice.

I hope I posted in the correct place?

I have a 30 gallon somewhat planted tank I started a few weeks ago with some moss, and a few other ground cover plants in a Fluorite substrate. I was thinking of starting a CRS tank but the shrimp are way to expensive for a newbie. I like them, but from what I read, the only way to truly load a tank this size is to buy at least 30 or so shrimp in hopes of keeping a handful alive to breed.

I do have good water using a good RO unit that Jeff was so kind to RAOK me (thanks Jeff). I have an open top tank with grow lights about 26 inches off the substrate. Temp is around 78 (can be raised to meet any fish requirements), ph 6.6 to 7.0, TDS 150, kh 1, gh 4 to 5. I have a DIY CO2 unit as well. Filtration is an AC 50.

I was thinking of a small cichlid schooling fish or small rainbows. I want something that would also breed. I don't want discus as this tank is too small for them. I heard about convicts but also heard they are too aggresive and too messy.

Any advice to what I can put in this tank would be helpful.

Thanks,

FishNewbie Steve

mmd
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Apistogramma

mmd
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
and some cardinals or other tetra's

DiscusLoverJeff
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Welcome Steve.

You may also try some Rams. There are blue german rams, and golden rams I believe will look nice in that size tank.

Jeff

FishNewbie
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the information. The Apistogramma sounds like an interesting species. Any strain in particular and how many would be advisable? I will also have to include a few cories for cleanup.

FishNewbie Steve

DiscusLoverJeff
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I can say a CRS tank that size would be nice, but boy they are expensive little things. I been trying to find some for my nephew and can't find any CRS S+ or SS for under $3.00. I need about 50 or so.

You can Google the Apistogramma and get a few of a few different selections.

NewETown
11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Find some good looking CRS for $5ish each or see if you can buy 5-6 of them for between $20 and $30. If you can do that you'll probably get a breeding pair and that'll set you off on your own little CRS farm, it worked for me until I got a snail infestation and lost my colony :(.

discusjoe27
11-21-2011, 08:43 AM
bolavins (spelling?) rams would be could too, or as much as i hate to say it angelfish...

gerrard00
11-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Maybe you would consider red cherry shrimp? TheShrimpFarm.com sells 30 for $40 and you get healthy, bright red shrimp.