PDA

View Full Version : What are my options with high nitrites in tap water in Northern Virginia?

kcb203
11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I live in Arlington, Virginia. My water comes from the Potomac River, processed at the Dalecarlia water treatment plant that also serves DC and other parts of MD and VA.

I don't yet have discus, but I've got a 75 gallon tank 5 days into a fishless cycle, and a 25 gallon community tank that has been up and running for three weeks having used Tetra SafeStart. I've had some trouble with the community tank because I tested NO2 and saw it at 2 ppm. So I did a 90% water change and it was still at 2 ppm. I tested the tap water, and it was at 2 ppm as well. Arrgh! So far, the fish have weathered the storm, though I'm not too impressed with SafeStart.

I've tested the water in my tap using the API test kit (backed up by Seachem, Tetra, and Salifert) and concluded that my tap water has nitrites ranging from .25 to 2 ppm NO2. The NO3 readings have been 10 to 20. Ammonia is usually about .25, and the water system uses chloramine.

My water quality report states that NO2 is 0 to .05 NO2-N and NO3 is .06 to 3.1 NO3-N. (I know these are multiplied by 3.3 and 4.4, respectively, to give ppm in NO2 and NO3 rather than as ppm NO2-N and NO-3).

I've spoken with the county water authority, and they don't seem surprised by the levels. They were more surprised at my nitrate level than the nitrite level, which seems odd to me. I was told that they'd open some flush valves in the system to see if that helps.

I tested my home tap water last night as .25 ppm ammonia, .25 ppm NO2, and 10 ppm NO3. I also brought a bottle of tap water from work (also in Arlington on the same water source, but 7 miles from home) and the water was 1 ppm NH4, 0 ppm NO2, and 5 ppm NO3. It seems as though the ammonia in the chloramine has started the nitrification process by the time it gets to my house, but the total amount of nitrogen in the water is roughly the same between work and home, just distributed differently among the three forms.

Am I correct that 1 ppm NH4 becomes 2.6 ppm NO2 becomes 3.4 ppm NO3? In other words, if I add 1 ppm ammonia to my tank and it fully is processed, the NO3 should go up by 3.4 ppm NO3? If this is the case, the total nitrogen in the water is roughly the same at work and at home, but just in different forms.

If I can't get the nitrites in the tap-water down, what are my options? This is what I see:

1) 100% RO water supplemented by one of the RO/DI mineral supplements, such as RO Right
2) Establishing a biofilter in the storage tank and letting it age for 24 hours and hopefully the NO2 will be converted to NO3 before it goes into the tank. I still don't like starting with NO3 so high, though.
3) Doing water changes and counting on the in-tank biofilter to convert NO2 to NO3 before the fish are bothered by it. Maybe I'd add 1T/10 gallons salt to ease the NO2 stress on the fish.

I'm probably going to go with option 1. I have a utility room that backs up to the fish tank, so I can semi-automate the RO/DI water change process.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

afriend
11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't help you much on how to treat your water because the problems seem very great to overcome. Hopefully there are others here that know alot more than I do and will assist you. The one thing that I would advise you is to be certain that you solve the water issues BEFORE getting your discus. This could be a long process because it sounds like the water conditions will change over time and this will make your task much harder. Make certain that you can handle the water conditions as they exist today as well as changes that will probably occur in the future. I don't know if you are experienced at keeping discus, but from my experience, you absolutely need to have a water source with 0% ammonia, and 0% nitrite. You will also have to have sufficient amounts of this water to make changes.

Good Luck to you and I hope that you can get the help you need.

lipadj46
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
use prime/safe in your existing tank

TURQ64
11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Go with the RO, and use the waste water generated to mix back for minerals.(unless you get a high NO2 reading in that reject)...

kcb203
11-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I can't help you much on how to treat your water because the problems seem very great to overcome. Hopefully there are others here that know alot more than I do and will assist you. The one thing that I would advise you is to be certain that you solve the water issues BEFORE getting your discus. This could be a long process because it sounds like the water conditions will change over time and this will make your task much harder. Make certain that you can handle the water conditions as they exist today as well as changes that will probably occur in the future. I don't know if you are experienced at keeping discus, but from my experience, you absolutely need to have a water source with 0% ammonia, and 0% nitrite. You will also have to have sufficient amounts of this water to make changes.

Good Luck to you and I hope that you can get the help you need.

The county opened some flush valves and purged the system in my area. Now the tap water is .5 ppm ammonia (presumably the chloramine leftovers), 0 NO2, and ~5 ppm NO3. Hopefully it will remain this way, and I'm good to go.

The biofilter is now gobbling up 5 ppm ammonia per day on the 75g I'm cycling, and the nitrites are only about 1-1.5 ppm, so the NO2->NO3 process must be moving along as well.

afriend
11-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear that you are making progress on your water source problem. What I would suggest is to wait until the biofilter can process the nitrites as well. A biofilter that can process 5 ppm per day is more than sufficient to handle 7 adult discus. The next step would be to find out if the water source is stable. Are you planning to do water changes by adding the water directly to the tank, or are you planning to treat the change water before it is added?

kcb203
11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear that you are making progress on your water source problem. What I would suggest is to wait until the biofilter can process the nitrites as well. A biofilter that can process 5 ppm per day is more than sufficient to handle 7 adult discus. The next step would be to find out if the water source is stable. Are you planning to do water changes by adding the water directly to the tank, or are you planning to treat the change water before it is added?

I spent the day yesterday rigging up a Rubbermaid Brute 44 gallon to age water. I'm piping it directly into the tank so I just have to move a couple valves and turn on the pump to change water. I'll probably change about 35 gallons a day, and age it for 24 hours by refilling the barrel as soon as I'm done. Now I just have to decide whether to only install a fill valve on the cold water line or to fill it with hot as well so the electric heater doesn't work as hard in the aging barrel.

I'm not adding the fish until the nitrites are 0 as well. I'll be patient. Hopefully that will be soon given that the nitrites seem to be processing as the NO2 isn't very high compared to the amount of ammonia I've been adding.

afriend
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I spent the day yesterday rigging up a Rubbermaid Brute 44 gallon to age water. I'm piping it directly into the tank so I just have to move a couple valves and turn on the pump to change water. I'll probably change about 35 gallons a day, and age it for 24 hours by refilling the barrel as soon as I'm done. Now I just have to decide whether to only install a fill valve on the cold water line or to fill it with hot as well so the electric heater doesn't work as hard in the aging barrel.

I'm not adding the fish until the nitrites are 0 as well. I'll be patient. Hopefully that will be soon given that the nitrites seem to be processing as the NO2 isn't very high compared to the amount of ammonia I've been adding.

You should keep close tabs on the ammonia and nitrate levels daily before adding it to the tank due to the possible variations in your source water. When I have new discus in my quarintine tank, I can tell that the fish don't like levels as low as .25 ppm. Also, what is the PH and the nitrate level?

DerekFF
11-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I've cycled 5 tanks in 3 days with safe start ...it's amazing. Had to say that. Back to the subject at hand using Prime will detoxify the ammonia/ites/ates im the water so your fish shouldn't be in danger of anything. And I would put a nice sponge filter in your water storage. A well seeded sponge filter can kick *** in a storage tank coupled with prime and your set