PDA

View Full Version : Marine Livestock.. Online or LFS?!

Skip
11-22-2011, 11:54 PM
As Discus people we prefer to buy from Sponsors/online..

is the same for Saltwater Livestock?! would you buy online.. or is LFS good enough?

ericatdallas
11-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Check local reef club might be the cheapest method.

dadecountyalan
11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
in miami everybody down here has saltwater tanks. so people buy them from local clubs and such. but there are so many places that provide quality sw fish. i think lfs might be your best bet for variety and quality. look around and see what you find in stores!

ericatdallas
11-23-2011, 12:29 AM
In miami, can't you just go to the beach and cast a net? :)

Second Hand Pat
11-23-2011, 12:33 AM

Eric, no pretties in the surf.

Chillinfish
11-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Join your local reef society some members will give you free coral. By far the best option. Online is tricky with acclamations and stress.

Andrew

dadecountyalan
11-23-2011, 08:56 AM

no but if you go to the rocks and such you can find all sorts of little critters that you can use.

Skip
11-23-2011, 09:13 AM
andrew.. i am part of the Reef Club here in Austin.. but it seems like they like to go to the LFS.. :( which is weird to me.. HOWEVER..

another person recommended Dr. FOSTER/live aquaria.. said he has got great product from them over the years.. thats ok..

ericatdallas
11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I was just joking about the net...sorta. I know a guy that used to take his boat out and scuba dive and fish. I forgot what he targeted, but it was to eat. I was actually thinking to myself, how awesome would it be to scuba dive and get fish for the aquarium and sell extras. Probably harder than it sounds, but it's more of a hobby than as a way of earning money. Bet there are regulations about that... But when I move to Florida, that's something I wouldn't mind doing.

joanstone
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been keeping saltwater fish and corals for several years now and have gotten livestock from both LFSs and online (definitely from fellow club members as well). It totally depends on the LFS as to whether I would purchase from there or not. I would hope you have some to choose from so you can really see the health and condition of the fish in their care (any signs of ich, how long they've had the fish, where they get them, are they eating?). For many types of fish I would want to see them eat before I purchased them. Ich can be a big problem in a saltwater aquarium. I have purchased fish and corals online from places that I trust, if you're interested I can send you links. What type of fish are you thinking of?

Skip
11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Joan. i really want small fish.. FIRE FISH are my number 1 fish.. and anything thing compatible.. maybe a clown or two..

doing a 20g nano.. with 20lb dry rock/20lb live sand.. tank would cycle for several weeks
ac110/refuge, koralia nano 425 & later a 4x 24" T5 HO fixture

joanstone
11-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Sounds great, I like that you are doing small fish. I wish I lived closer, I've got a fire fish that you could have. I like them too, but I'm eventually going to phase that tank out (seahorses, fire fish, scooter blennie). I say that now, but I think my seahorse is about to have babies. There are so many great small fish and inverts that are beautiful and entertaining to watch-kind of like the freshwater shrimp tank. I've listened to Scott Fellman (fish guru) speak a couple of times and one thing he talked about was how diving changed his outlook on fish keeping to a degree. Once he saw all the big tangs, etc grazing in their natural habitat and at their full size he could never keep a big fish in a little glass box. Sounds like the fish you are considering are not as "iffy" as some. I would find tank raised/captive bred whenever you can. wetwebmedia is a good online resource. I have been to and ordered from Vivid Aquariums in CA, their website is one to look at. They've got some beautiful set ups. Cultivated Reef is an outfit that I would look at if you're thinking about ordering corals or an anemone. I've been to his place and ordered from him as well. I've still got the rose bubble tipped anemone that I got from him years ago-in fact it's two as it split. I've kept fish for most of my life-freshwater, and now have been heavily addicted to saltwater for the last several years. I'm back into freshwater now, but can't totally part with some of my "saltwater guys" that I've had for years so I just keep adding more tanks!

joanstone
11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
My seahorse is having babies right now-so cute and tiny and such bad timing since I'm not really prepared.

Discus-n00b
11-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I've seen a lot of coral online retailers, but fish it seems to be more local.....idk for sure. Thats how it used to be at least.

doggiez85
07-02-2012, 04:11 AM
I buy from craigs. Those rocks are so over price at LFS. At my place is either 5-7 dollars a lbs.

when I think about it. Telling people that you spent $30 on a rock is funny. ^_^

Brokenrack
07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
When I was in to saltwater my LFS would let me know when a shipment wa coming in and go pic em out of the box so they were never in there tanks. I love Catalina gobies in a small tank.
Scott

Skip
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
i still have my bio cube sitting there brand new.. :(

i should really get this going :)

bassistjon112
10-31-2012, 03:02 AM
I prefer to buy my fish locally and order corals online in bulk.