PDA

View Full Version : Discus Newb Planning two tanks

sayitfast
11-25-2011, 03:27 AM
After several years of not having any tanks mainly due to where I was living… I’ve decided the house I purchased two years ago is ready to take the plunge. In the past I’ve had 240gal salt to 5gal feeder fish tanks and several others in between.

I’m adding two tanks… a 24X24X24 60gal. cube and a 120gal (maybe larger). The larger tank will definitely be a Discuss tank. The larger tank will take some time as I have to do some magical plumbing to get things the way I want.

I was not intending to buy the cube… but I saw it in person at local store and could not stop looking at it, and ended up buying it. My first thought was a planted tank with various small fish… but the more I look at this the more I think it would make a decent discus tank. The dimensions create a good amount of space.

I was thinking of adding an aqua-terra background and sparsely planting the tank and some wood… adding 6 young discuss and few smaller fish. I’m thinking I could always move the fish to the bigger tank as they grow.

Anyways, any thoughts on the suitability of the cube tank would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to a picture of the cube: 70710

Could not find a good in use picture… they really are decent sized in person.

chrisb01
11-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Welcome to SimplyDiscus.

I think it's great. I had a cube tank once, don't remember the dimensions though. I kept four Altum Angelfish in it with some plants. It was great having it, the Angels looked beautiful in it, as I know your Discus will also look. I think you have a good plan.

Good luck, and keep us posted. We like to see pics, if you ever get a chance, post some.

TNT77
11-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Welcome. :)
Imo the 24"cube would be an ok growout tank not my first choice because of the compact footprint but doable. I see it as a neat fry tank. But thats a whole other level. As for even lightly planting just depends on what size juvies you are wanting to put in there. BB is a much easier way to raise juvies. If you want the planted look you may want to try the potted look. +1 on thinking about a larger tank before even getting started.

discuspaul
11-25-2011, 08:04 PM
That cube would be an excellent tank for a half dozen discus. Go for it.