PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for aging your water?

JustinKScott
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I hear people say rain barrels etc; but have no idea where to buy one.

What do you use & where did you buy it?

Sean Buehrle
11-27-2011, 01:28 PM
You can do a Internet search for a rain barrel, they ain't cheap but look nice.
Go to any food processing plant and ask to buy a 55 gal blue barrel.

Car washes get white and blue barrels for detergent, just wash em real good.
Search Craigslist for blue 55 gal barrels.
Call local food or food additive plants or distributors and ask if they have or know where to get used ones or who picks theirs up.

ref0716
11-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Justin - Brute brand trash can in 40 gallon size works well. They are stronger than a light duty pail. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes and probably other places as well. They come with a tight fitting cover.
Richard

Stag
11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I use city piping under the streets :D

Larry Bugg
11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Search craigslist for "food grade tote" or "food grade barrel"

I use the 330 gallon tote.

TURQ64
11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Search craigslist for "food grade tote" or "food grade barrel"

I use the 330 gallon tote.

+1
I use 3 (so izzt +4?).and there's 4 55g barrels..(up to +8?)..never wuz good at math..

JustinKScott
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I found some 55g blue drums @ local ranch & home for $25. They were PROBABLY used for either pickling or dry food storage.

I might just be a skittish ninny; but how can I trust a barrel with "unknown pedigree"? Other than risking my fish, how do I know if the barrel is safe? (BTW I don't have culls yet)

ericatdallas
11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
$25 for blue is kind of expensive at least in my area. Those typically go for $10-15. The ones with screw on tops go for $20-30 in my area. I bought two 55G drums with screw on tops for $25. The plastic also felt thicker and he said he didn't know what the blue barrels held but the black ones had olives in them.

I let my barrels soak in bleach for about 10 minutes. I then rinsed them each out about 2 more times. The last rinse/soak I let it sit for about 5 minutes with sodium thiosulfate. It was probably excessive on my part but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

I think you're just going to have to trust it. It might help to 'smell' it out.

If they can show you what they currently have in their other barrels taht might help too.