11-27-2011, 06:13 PM
The PH of my water straight from the tap is 7.5 and aged water is 8.0
Should I age my water?
How well discus can tolerate ph swing?
20% WC daily.

Thanks

LizStreithorst
11-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Everyone has own take on this. Personally, I have a swing of .4 and I age my water. IMO stability is of utmost importance.

afriend
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
You can age your water a lot quicker if you aerate it. When the pressure is reduced, it allows the excess CO2 to escape into the atmosphere. Aerating it increases the surface area thus allowing the CO2 to escape faster.

The best method is to keep the PH in the tank stable.

adammak47
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Everyone has own take on this. Personally, I have a swing of .4 and I age my water. IMO stability is of utmost importance.

Is there anyway to fill up the age water from the bucket into the tank without carrying it? It is a bit too heavy.
That's the reason that made me don't want to age my water. I could just buy the Aqueon water changer to do the job.

lipadj46
11-27-2011, 07:37 PM
many buy a pump and a barrel

LizStreithorst
11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
When I got into Discus I knew the pH swing of my water and decided that aging water was nesessary. I set up for it. I used WS containers, air, a heater, and a pump. I NEVER hauled buckets. How large is your tank? Even a 20 gallon needs a 5 gallon bucket every day. JMHO of course.

adammak47
11-27-2011, 11:42 PM
When I got into Discus I knew the pH swing of my water and decided that aging water was nesessary. I set up for it. I used WS containers, air, a heater, and a pump. I NEVER hauled buckets. How large is your tank? Even a 20 gallon needs a 5 gallon bucket every day. JMHO of course.

I have a 33 gallon barrel, air pump, and heater ready. I tried to use a power head and connected with the vinyl tubing and pump the water from the barrel. However the water stop near the end of the tubing. I am thinking my tank is too high that the pump doesn't have enough power to pump it to the tank.

Do u think is the power head lack of pushing power? Or I should buy a $30 water pump?

Thanks

LizStreithorst
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
You need a stronger pump.