PDA

View Full Version : water change equipment????!!!??

HenryDiscus916
11-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Hello sd!! i am looking for a good way and easy way to change water from my age water to main tank... what do you use? pic if possiable?

Hogman
11-29-2011, 07:45 AM
I have a 55 gallon barrel. I bought a Rio 2500 (782 gph) pump. comes with 3/4" and 1" fittings and adapters to adapt to hoses and tubing. Installed a 3/4" brass ball valve on 25 feet of aquarium hose so i can hook the handle to the center glass support bracing of the tank. a couple 20 cent hose clamps and your done. just drop it in the barrel and plug it in. Makes quick work on my 55 growout tank and 180 gallon display. Real simple. No pics required

HenryDiscus916
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
hogman: thanks for the info will look into it..

Hogman
11-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Don't know what your budget is but your looking at just over $100. you can go cheaper with a sump pump from Lowes, power head, or whatever and depending on how far your pumping and what your using to age your water in ect. I get between 10-13 gallons per minute after friction and head loss. Just liked the Rio+ because it came with fittings and adapters. You can get less of a pump (gph). Again, it depends on your set up. Height (head in feet) and distance.

judy
11-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Jehmco's Super Safety siphon.

ericatdallas
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I just used a MJ1200 last night to transfer water from a tank through 25ft of garden hose to a drain about 3 feet high. The tank is also about 3 feet high. I normally transfer water with the MJ1200 much shorter distances.

So if speed is not an issue (MJ1200 is about 250gph) and cost is... then you can buy one for about $20. You do need to buy some hose attachments. I have a couple of systems 1) cut up garden hose and insert it to the output 2) I made an adapter with a vinyl hose that connects to a GHT.

I am a little disappointed by the speed, so I ordered an Azoo 2500 powerhead... which should provide about 650gph, we'll see how that works out. However, if you attach it to the glass, you can pretty much walk away from your tank and let the pump run. Although I don't recommend you being too far b/c it's not good to run the pump dry.

For new water, I use a garden hose direct from tap. I've done both from a sink (via a faucet adapter) and splitting off the laudry washing machine hose (they use standard garden hose threads so just buy a quality Y-adapter and use tape on the threads). I use a washing machine hose to attach to a PVC pipe. Remember the hose will be under a lot of pressure if you don't have a valve on it. So use washing machine hose or a VERY heavy duty industrial hose (they sell for 3-4x more at Home Depot).

I am going to install two water barrels eventually, but will probably have both direct from tap (for some tanks) and aged RO water (breeding) and aged reject water (growout) for other tanks.

If money is not an issue then there's a lot of gadgets out there to help you with this ...

HenryDiscus916
11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
ericatdallas: thanks for all the info.. I wish $ wasn't an issue.. LOL... I just got a fountain pump last night and tried it out.. works fine for me.. alil slow.. pump rated at 260gph... I also have a hose connected to the faucet for water into my age trash cans.. put age water into fish tank with pump.. take water out from fish tank with a hose out the window...