PDA

View Full Version : Optimal superior canister filter

Jessycuevas1
12-01-2011, 03:57 AM
My aquarium features one-piece center-braced frames that eliminate glass bowing. Quality constructed for fresh or marine applications.

Includes: 50 Gallon Aquarium, 2-24" Full Fluorescent Hood (lamps included).

Made in the USA.

Dimensions: 48 1/4"L x 12 3/4"W x 20"H

This is the tank I purchased from petsmart I have five discus in it.:

Two pigeon blood discus
•1 red marlboro
•1 checkerd board
• 2 blue cobalt
and. 1 red turquise ( I think )

Also one ballon Ram, one rubber lip pleco and about 30 Cardinal tetras.

It is A Lightly planted discus tank I have two marineland penguin 200 series Power filters on it but I am looking to upgrade to a canister filter with suitable surface flow to ensure proper aeration but not too strong a flow because of the discus. Any suggesstions?

TURQ64
12-01-2011, 08:55 AM
That's a relatively small tank,so..I'd recommend a Marineland Magnum 350. Lotsa options, cheap, and it'll run forever....That said, why a canister?..Easier maintenance with a HOB like Penguin, Emperor,AquaClear..JMO

CrazyAngels
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I also agree with Turq, why not go with simple HOB filtration on this 50 gal tank.

ericatdallas
12-01-2011, 09:15 PM
+1 on HOB. I managed to get someone to take mine and I couldn't be happier. I'm switching over to HOBs only. I'm also going to use ONLY AC110s to make buying replacement/repair parts cheaper and easier.

My canister did a wonderful job when I was running it, but it was a big hassle to clean. Even with the priming mechanism, I had problems with getting it going again (when I forgot to use the valve before the water dropped below the intake).

Jessycuevas1
12-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah I changed my mind the system currently in place is sufficient thanks anyhow