PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, what's that sound?

Keith Perkins
12-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Well no big surprise to anyone I'm sure. Yes, it was water running on the floor. I "always" do all my water changes and then refill the reservoirs. Well tonight to save 4 minutes to see more of Burn Notice I decided to go ahead and start filling one of the reservoirs while I was still doing WCs. The front half of the basement is semi-finished and contains the fish tanks, the back half is unfinished and contains the reservoirs. Well between the TV and a tank filling I never heard the water pouring over the top of the 44 Brute and God only knows how much water went down the floor drain and everywhere else before I finally walked into the back half of the basement and went, Hmm, what's that sound.

Oh well, the good news is that the water was clean and it doesn't appear I got anything wet that will do any permanent damage. Most of it's cleaned up and the big fan is running to dry up the rest. Just another night in the fishcave.

Second Hand Pat
12-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Keith, thanks goodness for that drain. I wish I had one in my fish closet :) I have spilled water at least twice and lucky for me was not too much.

Keith Perkins
12-02-2011, 12:02 AM
No kidding, at about 10 gallons a minute of volume and maybe 10 or 15 minutes of it overflowing before I caught it it would have been a disaster without a floor drain.

Second Hand Pat
12-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Yea...your own spa :(

discuspaul
12-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Oh, my .... oh my!
Why is it that all of us, at one time or another, get distracted like that - you get wanting to do something else, meaning to get back to take care of the business at hand in just a minute or two - and then you lose track of time - and disaster strikes!
Just like leaving a steak on the BBQ, and coming back, in what seems like 2 minutes, to a badly flamed, charred, unedible mess ! Right ?
Well Keith, I'm sure most of your days are absolutely trouble-free !!
Good that no harm was done.

Keith Perkins
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I must be more serious about my grilling than my discus then, because I've only ever overcooked one set of steaks. Of course proportionally perhaps that's about even with my flooding experiences to WC ratio.

TURQ64
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Jeesh! If I don't forget at least one filling tank a day, I'd be suspect!..Always flooding somewhere in the house..I buy a lot of mops....

Northwoods Discus
12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
I left the aging tank filling and went to work one morning. The sump could not keep up and I had 2 inches in the fish room and half of a carpeted basement was soaked. I am a lot more careful now but still make "little" mistakes filling a tank and getting distracted for "just a moment".

Chad Hughes
12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I think we've all been there and done that at some point. I've made it a point to try and automate/control all of my fish house functions since my brain doesn't always remind me. :D

If I could only figure out how to make my oxygen tank valve close on it's own.... It really stinks when you go to fill shipping bags and realize the tank valve is already open and the guages are all at ZERO! :(

Larry Bugg
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
LOL, my problem is the discus are too damn distracting!! I siphon, drain and fill tanks at the same time. At some point during this process some discus catches my attention and I remain distracted until I hear the splashing.........................

Stag
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
ROFL I know i feel a bit dumb when my face is 1ft from the class watching a fish and I start hearing the splashing.

A long time ago I have made a vow to never put an aquarium on carpet. My friends constantly remind me why I keep that vow.

Bill63SG
12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
ROFL I know i feel a bit dumb when my face is 1ft from the class watching a fish and I start hearing the splashing.

A long time ago I have made a vow to never put an aquarium on carpet. My friends constantly remind me why I keep that vow.Thats why my basement is still un-finished.My almost worst was wasn't filling,it was when I was in the basment last year,still planning the fish room,and I'm kicking back and looking at the space,what I was going to have to clean/move.I hear water,and I think,"It's a little late for Lois to be doing laundry."I turn around,and my sump pump hose had frozen,and the back-wash valve had popped,and water was hitting the ceiling.Had a 1/4" on the floor in the time it took me to unplug it.Now a couple gallons on the un-finnished is no big deal.

seanyuki
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
One more flooding in my house.......my wife gonna kick me out of the house along with the discus.......plan A......4 mils bags/heat packs and boxes all ready now in the store room......Plan B is find a discus shelter near by.

ghurlag
12-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Just last week I left my RO/DI unit filling my make up water barrel for my reef aquarium running OVERNIGHT. Fortunately, it's a 75 GPD membrane, the water is cold, so the efficiency is lower, and there is a drain 2 feet away, and all the overflow just trickled over to the drain. I have a float valve to install, but why would I need that? :)

discuspaul
12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Francis - just a little off the subject - but I just LOVE your new avatar ! It is new, isn't it ?
Blue is the color for this coming year !
Where's your blues, Keith ? .....!!!!

Keith Perkins
12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Will I thought things had dried out pretty well, but I was wrong. I walked back to the furthest area that had gotten wet to lay an area rug bag down that I had propped up to dry. On the way there I noticed the socks were feeling unusually cold...that's because they were wet. Hauled the fan back out.

seanyuki
12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Lol Paul......had that avatar for months......one of those BD babes from Liz......this year blue for me......next year 2012.....perhaps ask Colin to spare me some of his spotted discus from his farm lah.

Hey Francis - just a little off the subject - but I just LOVE your new avatar ! It is new, isn't it ?
Blue is the color for this coming year !
Where's your blues, Keith ? .....!!!!

Jason K.
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
just flooded the fishroom last week Keith!!!

David Rose
12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I can't count the times I've been distracted and overflowed. For me it's usually a phone call that I stop to take...LOL. Sometimes, I think it would better to seal up my living room up and make it into a big aquarium and I swim about in scuba gear. :)

Jason K.
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I can't count the times I've been distracted and overflowed. For me it's usually a phone call that I stop to take...LOL. Sometimes, I think it would better to seal up my living room up and make it into a big aquarium and I swim about in scuba gear. :)
now your thinking David! going to get a couple pool liner's first thing in the morning. think of the fun for potential buyer's being able to go in and collect their own fish. set up and amazon biotype underwater fishroom!!!

Keith Perkins
12-05-2011, 09:51 PM
now your thinking David! going to get a couple pool liner's first thing in the morning. think of the fun for potential buyer's being able to go in and collect their own fish. set up and amazon biotype underwater fishroom!!!

Now that conjures up a great mental image. :gorgeous: Too bad I can't describe it here, lol.