PDA

View Full Version : Advice and suggestions about substrates and discus

changyang7
12-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Hi guys, I am having a hard time picking substrate for my 180 gallons tank and was wondering if you guys can help me out. Whats there that can grow plants at a moderate rate since I don't have co2. My light have 216 w 2 white 2 plant growth light. I was think about ordering some natural amazon substrate from aquariumplants.com, but heard that the substrate does not contain the nutrient plants need. BTW should I get substrate and plants going at the moment or should I get more discus? I have 11 discus around 2.5 inches to 3.5 inches at the moment in my tank along with cardinals and driftwood. I also have an anubias and swordplant. However its barebottom at the moment. Tell me what you think I should do. If go for substrate and plants, please state what substrate. Another thought, do you need to fertilize the plants? Thanks

Wes
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
With the size of fish alot of feeding and water changes needed. I would keep it bare bottom. Tie some jave fern to some drift wood, pot the swoardplant. Flourite or fertilizer tabs in the pot.

discuspaul
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
You could consider a reasonably light layer of PFS, (2'" up to 3" - no more) along with your driftwood, your anubias on the DW, and a few planted stem plants, using root tab ferts, along with some Excel and light weekly dosing with liquid water column ferts. Would look great in a 180 gal tank.