PDA

View Full Version : submersible pump to drain a tank?

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 09:45 AM
hi all - I'm trying to up my WCs, but right now I drain via gravity/siphon to 5 gal buckets, hauling it out over&over&over to dump. I'd like to make this easier......I did a search here but could not find info re my question - can a submersible pump be used to drain a tank?
does anyone do this???
good idea? bad idea?
?

thx! Trish

jarret8x
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I think alot of people on here do it including myself. I still siphon poop into a bucket then after I just put my pump in the bucket. No carrying buckets for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
so poop/waste doesn't clog a submersible pump? that was a concern 4 me. and actually I was thinking of dropping the pump straight into the TANK, LOL!

seanyuki
12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Siphon out all the waste into a bucket first then use a submersible pump to drain the water from inside of the tank.....doing this method for years.

DiscusOnly
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
so poop/waste doesn't clog a submersible pump? that was a concern 4 me. and actually I was thinking of dropping the pump straight into the TANK, LOL!

Poop isn't going to clog s submersible pump but I would be careful that first doesn't get sucked.

In my setup, I actually use Quiet One 1200 pump that is placed inside my lower 75 gallon tanks. I have it suction to the side of the tank (5 inch from bottom) so that tank doesn't accidentally empty the entire tank. Because I use poret foam to divide a section of the tank, my pumps and heater is not seen.

You can connect the pump to something like this. http://www.lowes.com/pd_357410-94755-56271LO_0__?productId=3530496&Ntt=ge+6%22+2-outlet+outdoor+remote+control&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dge%2B6%2522%2B2-outlet%2Boutdoor%2Bremote%2Bcontrol&facetInfo=&AID=10934708&PID=361116&SID=FWad895y&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-FatWallet%2C+Inc.-_-358129-_-10934708

I use something similiar but a different brand. This eliminate the need to mess with electrical outlet when your hands may be wet. Since these are electrical switches, I don't trust it 100% so that is why I don't place the pump all the way on the bottom of the tank. Imagine if the switch goes whacky and it empty the entire tank.

Hope this helps.

Van

seanyuki
12-02-2011, 10:32 AM
a submersible pump wont' get rid of all the poops from the other end of the tank.....need to siphon the poops manually b4 using the pump......have not heard poops damage the propeller of the pump.

Larry Bugg
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
You want to siphon out the poop and stuff because the submersible isn't going to get most of it. It doesn't create such a suction that all that would be sucked over to the pump. I use a 50' python to suction the bottom of my tanks and then pump the water. NO buckets for me. Since I have multiple tanks to change I don't use a submersible. Pulling it from tank to tank would be a PITA. I use a inline pump. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352045_200352045. The outlet end has a standard water hose which runs outside and drains. The inlet end used a water hose also. I built a PVC connector on the end of the hose that I hang on the tank. The PVC is long enough on the inside of the tank to reach the bottom. I siphon the bottm of the tank and then hang the drain hose on the tank. I can then move on to siphoning other tanks while the first is being pumped out. I also use a remote control power outlet like Van. http://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322836899&sr=8-3. I clean, drain and refill a bunch of tanks very quickly this way.

DiscusOnly
12-02-2011, 10:46 AM
a submersible pump wont' get rid of all the poops from the other end of the tank.....need to siphon the poops manually b4 using the pump......have not heard poops damage the propeller of the pump.

Francis.

I hand vac and wipe down one side of the tank. Turn on the switch, go to the next tank and come back later to fill it up.

pennex1
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I bought this pump from home Depot. Works perfect. I empty of 125gallon in 5min. I have 4 tanks now so the bucket method got old real fast.
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pumps/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqlb/R-100067909/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
wow! all great info & much for me to think on......for now I'm thinking of continuing gravity siphoning of the bottom (for cleaning), and using a 18g muck bucket as 'resevoir', then using submersible pump to get water from the muck bucket thru hose out the window. off to check out the home depot link, and see about submersible pump options :).

thanks thanks thanks!!!!

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
oh wait! I like the home depot pump! I could use this for filling from my (soon to be acquired) ageing tank AND for removing water, right? just hook hoses?
hmmmmm.......

Sean Buehrle
12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
wow! all great info & much for me to think on......for now I'm thinking of continuing gravity siphoning of the bottom (for cleaning), and using a 18g muck bucket as 'resevoir', then using submersible pump to get water from the muck bucket thru hose out the window. off to check out the home depot link, and see about submersible pump options :).

thanks thanks thanks!!!!

Why don't you just put the siphon hose out the window, that's what I do.

Water dropping 5-6 feet creates quite a suction.

TNT77
12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
18g muck bucket as 'resevoir'
Haha now I don't feel so alone about using horse tanks and muck buckets for fish stuff.

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Haha now I don't feel so alone about using horse tanks and muck buckets for fish stuff.:D

I tried siphoning out my window, and it was a logistics nightmare........lightweight siphon & tubing, connected to water hose => #1 it kept coming undone (water all OVER the place); severely limited my siphon range of motion because of the weight of the hose dragging. just really frustrating. it doesn't help that my 40g is *high*, so tall I have to stand on a chair.

Sean Buehrle
12-02-2011, 07:53 PM
:D

I tried siphoning out my window, and it was a logistics nightmare........lightweight siphon & tubing, connected to water hose => #1 it kept coming undone (water all OVER the place); severely limited my siphon range of motion because of the weight of the hose dragging. just really frustrating. it doesn't help that my 40g is *high*, so tall I have to stand on a chair.

I take it you have gravel?

I use a old garden hose bout 15 feet long.
I get all the poop and let the hose just sit in there while I wipe the tank down with paper towels, then just drain the rest out. Fish laying on their sides.
I can't imagine an easier way.

I think I would quit fish keeping if I had to transfer water to another container and then pump it out again

:)

shoveltrash
12-02-2011, 09:53 PM
no gravel, bare bottom (altho rethinking this as my PBs have acquired some peppering since I removed the white substrate :( )

Sean I have a LOT to learn (the learning curve gets steeper the more I realize I don't know!).

I think I would quit fish keeping if I had to transfer water to another container and then pump it out againI need a no-nonsense kick in the butt sometimes! so, uh, thanks.

but how in the WORLD do you start siphon on a 15 foot hose???? (LUNGS OF STEEL?)
the top of my tall tank is 5ft from the floor - so height is an issue for me - which is why I originally asked about just dropping a pump in the tank itself.
I WOULD LOVE TO JUST STICK A GARDEN HOSE IN AND BE DONE WITH IT

Sean Buehrle
12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
no gravel, bare bottom (altho rethinking this as my PBs have acquired some peppering since I removed the white substrate :( )

Sean I have a LOT to learn (the learning curve gets steeper the more I realize I don't know!).

I need a no-nonsense kick in the butt sometimes! so, uh, thanks.

but how in the WORLD do you start siphon on a 15 foot hose???? (LUNGS OF STEEL?)
the top of my tall tank is 5ft from the floor - so height is an issue for me - which is why I originally asked about just dropping a pump in the tank itself.
I WOULD LOVE TO JUST STICK A GARDEN HOSE IN AND BE DONE WITH IT

Just do this.

Go buy a hose or use one you have at home. Cut it long enough to reach your entire tank easily and enough to hang out your window a few feet.

I have mine laying on the ground outside.

Open your window a foot .

To make this easier figure out a way to hold the hose in your tank so when it fills with water the weight won't pull the hose out.

I stick my light against mine or on top of it. Whatever works.

Go to your window and get the siphon started, drop the hose out the window and shut the window on the hose to hold it.

With your tank being 5 feet high it should start easily and have a lot of flow.

Just go after the waste real quick so you don't get it all stirred up.

Let the hose run and wipe the tank bottom and sides down.

Drain the rest out.

Don't forget to unplug your heater.

I don't know what percentage of changes you do. I change it all especially when I wipe the tank down because the slime that comes off the tank walls really in my opinion destroys destroys water quality.

I have had tanks in the past like you, 5-6-7 foot up and they are a pain to clean. You just gotta accept it or get a different setup, :)

I'm getting ready to do a potted plant 220 and I can tell already it's going to be a pain in the butt to clean all the time.
After you get the hose thing down it'll be a lot better.
Good luck :)

shoveltrash
12-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I DID IT!!!!!!! easiest WC yet!
because the tank is so tall, I kept my looong gravel vac attachment & just connected it to some xtra poly tubing I had -- cut just long enough to go out the window onto a bush, and VOILA I was able to siphon, vac, and drain with ease :D. a few of the solids (non eaten fdbw) didn't want to get vaccumed up.....but other than that it was wonderful. I typically do 50% every day, and if I skip a day I do 75%. I prefer daily 50% though, because I fill from the tap and my water has a very slight pH difference. my future plans consist of a holding/aeration tank, an RO system, and a pump. for now we're getting by!

Sean good luck with your 220! thanks for advice :)

Sean Buehrle
12-04-2011, 09:36 AM
That's great :)

If you want it to go faster the larger diameter garden hose is ideal.

I usually run the hose across my tank bottoms everywhere scraping the bottom before wiping everything.

Your plans for a water storage is a good idea.
Watch Craigslist for blue 55 gal barrels and go big on them, it's nice to have extra water on hand.
Looking forward to your I just flooded my room thread that is inevitable, maybe even the one titled, I did it again :)

AngryBird
01-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Is this pump noisy?

I bought this pump from home Depot. Works perfect. I empty of 125gallon in 5min. I have 4 tanks now so the bucket method got old real fast.
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pumps/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqlb/R-100067909/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

aalbina
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Is this pump noisy?

I use this one (but made by utilitech) http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100047107&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-2-_-utility;pump;100125992-_-100047107-_-N&locStoreNum=3482 and it's pretty noisy - but really fast. I did lose three rummy nose tetras when they darted right up the hose one after the other before I realized what was happening! It moves a lot of water very fast.

Adam

DLock3d
01-04-2012, 05:25 PM
You want to siphon out the poop and stuff because the submersible isn't going to get most of it. It doesn't create such a suction that all that would be sucked over to the pump. I use a 50' python to suction the bottom of my tanks and then pump the water. NO buckets for me. Since I have multiple tanks to change I don't use a submersible. Pulling it from tank to tank would be a PITA. I use a inline pump. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352045_200352045. The outlet end has a standard water hose which runs outside and drains. The inlet end used a water hose also. I built a PVC connector on the end of the hose that I hang on the tank. The PVC is long enough on the inside of the tank to reach the bottom. I siphon the bottm of the tank and then hang the drain hose on the tank. I can then move on to siphoning other tanks while the first is being pumped out. I also use a remote control power outlet like Van. http://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Converter/dp/B001Q9EFUK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322836899&sr=8-3. I clean, drain and refill a bunch of tanks very quickly this way.

Larry, I love this idea especially with the wireless controller. But don't you have to lubricate your water transfer unit? for a submersible this would work fine but for an external pump I don't see the point of having a wireless remote if you have to visit the pump every time anyway.

Larry Bugg
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Larry, I love this idea especially with the wireless controller. But don't you have to lubricate your water transfer unit? for a submersible this would work fine but for an external pump I don't see the point of having a wireless remote if you have to visit the pump every time anyway.

I have the remote control on the pumps from my water storage container. Two separate pumps and the remote contorls each one independently. The transfer pump is not on a remote control. Once plugged in it keeps running. The PVC end that hangs over into the tank doesn't reach the bottom of my bigger tanks but on the smaller ones like 20H I have to keep an eye on it. I don't turn it on and off. I just pull it from one tank (still running) and stick it in the next. I don't have to lubricate the transfer pump, it is self priming.

Overview
The Wayne 115V transfer pump is a portable, lightweight pump that is ideal for household use.

Features + Benefits
Corrosion-resistant chrome-plated bronze volute with 3/4in. hose connections
Self-priming pumpRemoves water down to 1/8in. when water suction attachment is used
Includes 6-ft. suction hose, water suction attachment and parts kit

DLock3d
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Really crude example but this is what I'm talking about.

kcb203
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I've got a system rigged up for my 75 gallon growout tank that uses two pumps. I've got a permanent 1" PVC pipe with strainer that goes from the tank through the wall to the utility room behind. There's a ball valve behind the tank. In the utility room, there's a T fitting with each side controlled with a ball valve. With one side open, I can drain the tank using a transfer pump in the utility room into the floor drain. If I close that valve and open the other, I can pump with a different pump from a 44 gallon Brute into the tank. I've got a cold-water tap that refills the Brute. It's not automated, but I can change 60% of the water in the tank in 9 minutes start to finish, and that includes refilling the Brute with cold water. A 250 watt heater warms it up to 86 degrees within 24 hours. I can sketch a diagram if anyone is interested.

DLock3d
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I am interested in that diagram for sure. I know that there will always be the need to siphon out waste, that I understand. What I'm trying to do is streamline my operation to take under 20 minutes a tank.

Larry Bugg
01-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Really crude example but this is what I'm talking about.

You could certainly use a remote switch for the transfer pump. I just haven't seen the need for it.

TNT77
01-04-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119283
Flip of a switch and you can control however many you want. Dont have to worry about losing the remote switches or keeping track of which is which.

Larry Bugg
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119283
Flip of a switch and you can control however many you want. Dont have to worry about losing the remote switches or keeping track of which is which.

True but the idea is to not have to travel back and forth from the switch but to be able to do it remotely while you are working on another tank.

shoveltrash
01-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I've got a system rigged up for my 75 gallon growout tank that uses two pumps. I've got a permanent 1" PVC pipe with strainer that goes from the tank through the wall to the utility room behind. There's a ball valve behind the tank. In the utility room, there's a T fitting with each side controlled with a ball valve. With one side open, I can drain the tank using a transfer pump in the utility room into the floor drain. If I close that valve and open the other, I can pump with a different pump from a 44 gallon Brute into the tank. I've got a cold-water tap that refills the Brute. It's not automated, but I can change 60% of the water in the tank in 9 minutes start to finish, and that includes refilling the Brute with cold water. A 250 watt heater warms it up to 86 degrees within 24 hours. I can sketch a diagram if anyone is interested.
I'd be very interested in a sketch of your setup!

as an update, I still do the old-fashioned siphoning - but out the window with an old garden hose! and I've got a length of pvc pipe fitted to with on/off valve connected to it - then I switch hoses and fill from my water storage barrel with a submersible pump from Lowe's (pond pump). it's not super fast, but that's fine with me.
although I may wish for more 'speed' when I set up my 2nd tank!

"remote control"? sounds intriguing.....

eaglesfan3000
01-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I have the remote control on the pumps from my water storage container. Two separate pumps and the remote contorls each one independently. The transfer pump is not on a remote control. Once plugged in it keeps running. The PVC end that hangs over into the tank doesn't reach the bottom of my bigger tanks but on the smaller ones like 20H I have to keep an eye on it. I don't turn it on and off. I just pull it from one tank (still running) and stick it in the next. I don't have to lubricate the transfer pump, it is self priming.

Overview
The Wayne 115V transfer pump is a portable, lightweight pump that is ideal for household use.

Features + Benefits
Corrosion-resistant chrome-plated bronze volute with 3/4in. hose connections
Self-priming pumpRemoves water down to 1/8in. when water suction attachment is used
Includes 6-ft. suction hose, water suction attachment and parts kit

That's what I use it drained my 120 in 15 minutes or so completely down to the bottom. I hook it up to my Phython and use washing machine hose on the other side.