PDA

View Full Version : Bleach

retiredsailor
12-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I recently got a used 125 gallon tank and have been cleaning it out. in the process i put 2 gallons of bleach in it to kill anything that may have been there. since then i have filled and emptied it about 4 times. my question, though, is whether the cycling of the tank will convert/remove the bleach. i'm not planning on setting up anytime soon and wouldn't just fill it and dump fish in there. but would it eliminate the bleach? in my head i don't think so but there are folks a lot smarter than me here so i figured i would ask. thanks.

ian drennan

LizStreithorst
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Just let it dry out completely. The bleach will disapate on it's own.

Skip
12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
yes, it dissipates pretty quick once dry.. BUT even if there was a little still left.. adding water would "water it down" and PRIME would Nullify it ;)

DLock3d
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I double dose prime and make sure I don't smell any bleach. I usually ask someone else to smell the tank and see if they smell bleach.

Sean Buehrle
12-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I recently got a used 125 gallon tank and have been cleaning it out. in the process i put 2 gallons of bleach in it to kill anything that may have been there. since then i have filled and emptied it about 4 times. my question, though, is whether the cycling of the tank will convert/remove the bleach. i'm not planning on setting up anytime soon and wouldn't just fill it and dump fish in there. but would it eliminate the bleach? in my head i don't think so but there are folks a lot smarter than me here so i figured i would ask. thanks.

ian drennan

2 gallons?
Wow a half cup would have been overkill :)

Skip
12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
2 gallons?

i was wondering if that was 2 cups str8? or mixed with water..

retiredsailor
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
hey, i go all in! it was 2 gallons. i've filled and emptied it about 4 times since then.

Skip
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
hey, i go all in! it was 2 gallons. i've filled and emptied it about 4 times since then.

hope you did not let it sit too long in str8 bleach..

i seem to recall straight bleach can affect the silicon seal.. idk..maybe i am wrong on this..

but if not leaks.. then you are good to go

ericatdallas
12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
That's a lot of bleach...

Just use your dechlorinator to get rid of it.

If you've flushed it four times since though, you're probably safe.

I did this last night actually. I filled a 40G with half a cup of bleach, then drained it, refilled it with freshwater and put sodium thiosulfate in, and it's sitting right now. I'll flush it again tonight, refill, an then start the cycling process :)

I also used it as an opportunity to sterilize some equipment (fish nets and heaters).

Skip
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
sodium thiosulfate what/!??!!

Chicago Discus
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Thats a lot of bleach

ericatdallas
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
sodium thiosulfate what/!??!!

It's the active ingredient in water conditioner (the ones that remove chlorine but will not neutralize/bind with ammonia). You're joking right? Everytime we talk about Water Conditioners on this forum (every other day) I always mention it :)

ericatdallas
12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Thats a lot of bleach

his drains are nice and disinfected.

Harriett
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
2 gallons?

I agree. I would be concerned about the integrity of the silicone--bleach is pretty rough stuff at that concentration. It is probably ok, but look your seams over really carefully?
Best of luck with the project. 125s are wonderful shape/size for discus!
Best regards,
Harriett

DerekFF
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Bleach will be bad juju if you let it sit to long in there for sure lol. I know prime neutralizes bleach, don't know about others

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

retiredsailor
12-31-2011, 08:14 PM
thank you for all the suggestions and recommendations. as of yet it is doing good, but i haven't refilled it and let it sit for a while. i may do that in the next day or so just to measure the integrity of the silicone. this one definitely goes under the category of lessons learned. thanks again.

ian drennan
drums, pa