PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Know About Tire Track/Fire Eels?

moon_knight1971
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Got rid of some of my discus because my electricity bill became too insane! Going from 5 tanks to 2! My main tank is a 90 gal tall housing discus but I also have a fully cycled 55 that I want to use for a different type of freshwater fish! At first I was thinking Long Finned Oscar but did not like the image of going to buy feeders, possibly with parasites, every other day! Then I was thinking a few Angel Fish or Goramis but decided against because they are too common place! Then I came upon this amazing youtube video of a VERY LARGE Tire Track Eel! I can't post it now because youtube is blocked from my work but if you type up 30" Tire Track Eel you'll see what I mean! How amazing is that?!?! Tire Track Eels are pretty common place too but usually at 6 inches or less! Thinking of getting a baby, usually about $8, and seeing how big I can get him alone in a 55? I'll be happy if he gets to the 20" mark lol! Anybody have these or have stories of having these?

Joey!

kent1963
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I had one in a planted 40 breeder that got 2'+ . He was very tame and ate 2-3 night crawlers a day out of my hand.I honestly can't remember much about that fish as my memory's getting a little fuzzy in my defense that was almost 30 years ago.

moon_knight1971
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
I had one in a planted 40 breeder that got 2'+ . He was very tame and ate 2-3 night crawlers a day out of my hand.I honestly can't remember much about that fish as my memory's getting a little fuzzy in my defense that was almost 30 years ago.

That's an amazing story! I think alot of us tend to see the beauty of discus but it gets more intimate when the fish trust you enough to eat out of your hand. To have such a large freshwater eel do that must be INCREDIBLE!

Here's the youtube link. You must see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrfOmfQwhG8