PDA

View Full Version : ideas converting 40G tank (48" long) into sump.

MKD
12-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Ideas/helps to modify SeaClear into Sump.
Hi all,

I am thinking to convert an old 40G SeaClear II tank 48" long with chambers in the back into a sump. Is there any way to remove those dividers or anyone has any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Tony

borrow from internet.
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss288/frontosa72/DSC03922.jpg

MPETERS
12-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi Tony,

When the partitions were added to your tank a solvent was used which "melts" them together. I don't think you will be able to remove them.

If you are going to use the tank as a sump I don't think you have to worry about them. You may be able to drill some large holes in them to addition water circulation.

Mike

MKD
12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Thank you Mike. I'll need to modify and add different chambers.

steelbreeze1
12-10-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm curious to know what mods you need to make on the existing sump/filter?

ericatdallas
12-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I bet if you posted in on Craigslist, people would be happy to trade you that tank for a 40L to do with as you please.

In fact, I have a 40L that's already modified as a sump with baffles that I wish it didn't have. If you were in the area, I would trade you. Heck, since it's not even an option, I would dare say I would trade you and give you cash for your setup.

MKD
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Ok here is what i am going to do since i can't remove those acrylic pieces. I am going to use those chambers and cut about 5 inches right at dashes line to set water level for pump. What do you think?

I bet if you posted in on Craigslist, people would be happy to trade you that tank for a 40L to do with as you please.

In fact, I have a 40L that's already modified as a sump with baffles that I wish it didn't have. If you were in the area, I would trade you. Heck, since it's not even an option, I would dare say I would trade you and give you cash for your setup.

this is not a show tank, don't think anyone will trade it for sump.

ericatdallas
12-11-2011, 01:12 PM
this is not a show tank, don't think anyone will trade it for sump.

<shrug> I said I think people would have traded you a 40L ... I definitely would have traded for my 40L w/ baffles.

of course, if it's in really poor condition, I suppose not. I still would, because I think I could have actually made that work for my shrimp tank.