PDA

View Full Version : HOB filter system question....

HenryDiscus916
12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/power_filter_tricks_v.php

This is a link i found online.. I have the filter already was wondering if this is a good idea to use on discus??

TURQ64
12-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Looks like a lot of work; the best answer is more water changes...I use a lot of bio-wheel types, along with AC70's...as for the bio wheel types, I just slit the foam and shake out the carbon anyway. Behind the cartridge (the impellor side) I put Kaldness media..same effect, no work in the future...

lipadj46
12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I've seen that before and it really does not provide much more than if you just put bio media in the baskets (the air stones won't add much extra O2 to make a difference). I have an emperor 400 and I use it mainly for the mech filtration it provides. I put 4 of the filter cartridges in it and only feed on that end of the tank. I also have a power head that blows all the crap down to the end it is on. That way I don't have to clean my canister very often and I just rinse off the filter cartridges every few water changes. I don't think the biowheels do very much in the way of bio filtration the way they are implemented.

judy
12-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I use two AC 110s. No fuss, no muss, no complicated fiddling. and a sponge filter, of course. This link looks like a lot of diddling about for not much of a benefit of any kind.