PDA

View Full Version : Buildin a sump

down2earth
12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Does it matter if I use PVC pipe or abs? I need bulkhead fittings and I found something out of abs I can use. Just want to make sure it's safe for my fish.

dbfzurowski
12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I got a few abs parts, i think they're ok

phinkin
12-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I mix and match

Jim

Stag
12-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Think of it this way,

ABS is for poop
PVC is for sprinklers
CPVC is the only one rated for human water consumption.

That being said it should be fine! lol :D

down2earth
12-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Ok. I'm goin to be doin everything in 2" pipe. This way everything moves slow. Slow currents and no pressure. To make sure the tanks all get water I will be using valves and t fittings to split the water coming into the tanks.

TURQ64
12-16-2011, 10:21 AM
I use 1 1/2 pvc for drains, 1" pvc for returns..(most decent sized pumps have 1" in's and out's)...works fine...

down2earth
12-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm using 2" for drain and 1.5" for inlet to slow the current. I found my parts I'm goin to use.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Do you all prefer a sump over canister for a discus tank? Or does size of the tank determine the choice?

TURQ64
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I prefer sumps over most everything, but I've run multiple filtration, just in case. I'd have a sump on every tank, but with a lot of tanks, it's a lot of pumps when not on a closed system...One at a time, I add a sump....6 now...but I don't have a tank to my name without a sponge....always

DiscusLoverJeff
12-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Good points Gary thank you. I have a sump thats sitting empty because I was going to use it for my reef, but my reef is doing so good that I did not want to jinx it. My planted discus tank, same thing, running real good. I also have a wet-dry I am not using. I guess I hear to many stories about sumps and wet-drys over flowing. I might try the sump again if I get another large tank.

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Good points Gary thank you. I have a sump thats sitting empty because I was going to use it for my reef, but my reef is doing so good that I did not want to jinx it. My planted discus tank, same thing, running real good. I also have a wet-dry I am not using. I guess I hear to many stories about sumps and wet-drys over flowing. I might try the sump again if I get another large tank.

Jeff when you come over on Monday I will show you the difference I use all three sump,canister and hang on but they all have sponge filters.........Josie

dbfzurowski
12-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I always feared a leak on a canister and it seems like a lot of work to clean them

Chicago Discus
12-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I always feared a leak on a canister and it seems like a lot of work to clean them I use them in my grow out tanks and yes they are a pain in the butt to keep clean.

CajunAg
12-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Properly designed plumbing and sumps should prevent any over-flowing accidents. If nothing else, my two favorite things about having a sump are #1 increased water capacity and #2 a constant water level in the main tank.

Kalyx
12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
You can use either....