PDA

View Full Version : sponge filter - question, moving to another tank for 'instant cycling'

shoveltrash
12-12-2011, 11:04 AM
'hope it's ok to post this here (I am a "beginner").

on this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92643-sponge-filter&p=831899#post831899 I went a bit o/t from the OP's original inquiry, so I thought I'd just post this as a separate thread unto itself.

regarding sponge filters:

U can have several in a tank and move them into other tankd for an instantly cycled tank.. Ie.. Moving fry, pairs, maybe pairs..etc
I got one for this reason.
my question is, how long does it take to acquire an established 'bacterial colony' after putting a sponge filter in an established tank?

Whether it's new or extra, it takes some time for colonization..Many variables, just as tank cycling; bioload,ph,wc's all are a part of the makeup...
that makes sense....
so, say for example: 40g community tank, 5 med/lg fish (2Discus, 3 AF), 5 small schooling -- BB tank established for >1 year, eheim cannister filtration (fairly new), HOB filtration (old), wc's 50% ever day & every other day (typically 1,2,skip a day, 1,2 skip, etc), water parameters pH 8, nitrate <5ppm (almost 0), nitrite 0, ammonia 0, temp 83.

since joining here and *spongeing* up as much knowledge as humanly possible, I now want a bigger tank :). so I bought one, a 65g. several weeks ago I put a large sponge filter in my established tank, with the purpose of using it for a 'instant cycle' for the new tank. I'm not in a rush - 'was planning a 2012 stocking (early spring).

opinions?

damba
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
If the filter has been running in the other tank and you have kept it in water it should be ok immediately. If there are more fish/wastes in the new tank give it a week or so and feed lightly and keep up waterchanges.

Rydw i'n Cwmry

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Skip
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
about 3 weeks, i myself would not go less.. thats why its always good to have extras ALREADY in your tank.. then you don't have to worry about SEEDING (is the term you want to search) one if you are in a pinch

ericatdallas
12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
The used sponge will kick start the process in the new tank. I did have an issue recently using this method but it was a risk I knew while doing it.

It's better than nothing at all and can get things going much faster. I think 2-3 weeks is a good number. If I'm starting a big tank, I pull media from two tanks to get it going.

I would still introduce fish slowly... because as mentioned in the other thread, the bacteria colony only grows as large as the food supply.

shoveltrash
12-12-2011, 09:31 PM
so to be safe I'll wait at least a month :)
THANKS!!!! I second-guess myself on everything, LOL.

I did have an issue recently using this method but it was a risk I knew while doing it.
what kind of issue? (if you don't mind me asking)
I'm thinking that disease or parasite transmission might be a risk? so far (fingers crossed), my tank occupants are all healthy.......

Brokenrack
12-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I would seed the sponge for 3 or 4 weeks then setup the tank declore age the water etc. Then put the sponge in the tank, cleanout some of the media from you oldest filter in the tank. Then add some pure ammonia and see how much it will process in 24 hours. If it'll do 4ppm to zero ammonia and nitrite your good to go.

shoveltrash
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM
hey, thanks! I didn't think of *testing* - great advice.

ericatdallas
12-12-2011, 10:38 PM
so to be safe I'll wait at least a month :)
THANKS!!!! I second-guess myself on everything, LOL.

what kind of issue? (if you don't mind me asking)
I'm thinking that disease or parasite transmission might be a risk? so far (fingers crossed), my tank occupants are all healthy.......

well I bought some plecos from a local breeder b/c he had a good price on them. I ended up not having a cycled tank b/c my fish room was still under construction (still is actually)... so I took two sponges out but the number of fish overwhelmed the bio filters. I would have done a WC but I got busy and thought it would be okay... I was wrong.

I couldn't find my ammonia test, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Although I had shrimp (which is why I didn't suspect ammonia at first) in there and they all survived. Nitrates were zero, temps were a nice 77F and I was putting a lot of air through.

Anyway, either way, it wasn't a good idea whether that was the cause or not.

Although I threw in some more sponges and I had a shrimplet explosion, within a week so it's possible the ammonia didn't effect the adults but were eliminating the shrimplets.

Bill63SG
12-13-2011, 12:17 AM
I ended up not having a cycled tank b/c my fish room was still under construction (still is actually).Aren't they alway's?.

shoveltrash
12-13-2011, 05:48 AM
oh no......thanks for sharing Eric.
hey, you guys are lucky to have room for a "fish room"! (jealous)