PDA

View Full Version : experience from PC1(aka Manzman aka Rafael Mendoza)

Laurent
12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm sure this won't go over well around here because Rafael is a sponsor, but thought I'd post a review of my experience ordering wood from him . . .

I'll start with the good: the 3 pieces that were delivered are very, very nice. I'll post pictures once I have them in the tank.

And now for the bad: it took over a month to receive anything from Manzman. Even more frustrating were the numerous emails informing me that one or more pieces I had requested suddenly were not available. The biggest frustration was that the first 3 pieces I had ordered were never delivered. Rafael immediately offered to just ship 3 new pieces, but that started the annoying problem of not having all the pieces I requested so I had to find replacement items all over again. Eventually he sent 3 pieces, but honestly, given how many false starts I had with choosing pieces only to later learn that what I had requested was no longer available, I have no way of really knowing if I received what I had requested.

All in all, not a smooth transaction and not the best in keeping the customer informed, but the wood I received is very nice and I don't know if I could have found that level of quality anywhere else for this price. Just be prepared to wait (and wait) and don't fall in love with any individual piece you see pictured on his site -- there's just no way to know if that is what you ultimately will end up with (either because he tells you it has already sold, or because it gets lost by the postal service).

Matt0matic
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
All in all, not a smooth transaction and not the best in keeping the customer informed, but the wood I received is very nice and I don't know if I could have found that level of quality anywhere else for this price. Just be prepared to wait (and wait).
x2
I didn't have as much difficulty as yourself but I had the same experience.

Laurent
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
It's a shame, really, since the wood is so nice.

jimg
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I have ordered at least 3X from him and never had a problem at all.

Chad Hughes
12-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Thread has been relocated to product review section as it is clearly a product review.

PC1
12-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I do my best to get your orders out. Pieces also sell quickly and you can't always get the first choice because I can't update the moment a piece sells. I try to stay on top of it as much as possible unless I have things on my end holding me up. I definetly can not control the postal service, if a package is delayed, damaged, or lot I immediately offer replacements and ship at my cost which in most cases is about $30. Other than that there is not much I can do in a situation like that. Parcel post is the postal services lowest priority mail and unfortunately it reflects it sometimes. I wish I could ship everything out priority but $90+ for a box is not realistic. All I can do is offer to replace them if they are lost or damaged which in all honestly neither of those happen that often but on occasion they do happen. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but I tried to fix it the best I could.

Laurent
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Pontiac_baron:

I think you will find the quality very high, just be prepared that you might have to have many email exchanges with PC1 to finalize your selections and delivery may not happen for many weeks.

Laurent
12-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Thread has been relocated to product review section as it is clearly a product review. I didn't think it was a review of the product so much as sharing my experience ordering from a sponsor. Seemed more likely to me that future customers might find this if it were in PC1's forum section, but I understand the desire/motivation to put this in the product review section instead.

That said, could you amend the title to include a description that this is a review of the ordering experience from PC1(aka Manzman aka Rafael Mendoza)? That might help future customers find this review by running a search on his name.

PC1
12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Be a little fair here in your description of the transaction. You say be prepared for several weeks. I can not help the fact that the 1st order was not delivered. Avg transit time to the east coast is 7-10 days to begin with. Usually a day or 2 before I can ship and an extra couple days to see if the missing package shows up. It didnt show up so I offered to replace and re-ship at my cost. At that point it is another 7-10 days I can't control that. All I can control is how long it is before I pack and ship and how I handle it if there is a problem. Which I believe there is no other way I could of handled your order. Again I am sorry you had a unpleasant experience but majority of the problem was out of my hands.

Laurent
12-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Be a little fair here in your description of the transaction. You say be prepared for several weeks. I can not help the fact that the 1st order was not delivered. Avg transit time to the east coast is 7-10 days to begin with. Usually a day or 2 before I can ship and an extra couple days to see if the missing package shows up. It didnt show up so I offered to replace and re-ship at my cost. At that point it is another 7-10 days I can't control that. All I can control is how long it is before I pack and ship and how I handle it if there is a problem. Which I believe there is no other way I could of handled your order. Again I am sorry you had a unpleasant experience but majority of the problem was out of my hands.

Soup to nuts, my experience with you went from 10/26 through 12/3 delivery. In between we had many, many, MANY PM and email exchanges as you informed me pieces were not available, first package must have been lost by the USPS, etc. From my personal experience, I think it only fair to warn people it may take many weeks to get things done with you.

Now that you tweaked me a bit, I'll also state that I'm 99.9% sure the first package wasn't lost: you just didn't send anything until late November. My first clue is that the tracking number you sent for the first package was generated on 10/31 and the USPS now shows that package as having been delivered on 12/3. How is possible that both packages had the same tracking number? Also explains why you never sent me a tracking number for the second package. Oh, and it also explains why the service you use to track packages does not show when the USPS received the package from you -- you might consider upgrading to the tracking that shows that level of detail. The second clue is that other members of this forum have now contacted me to tell me the EXACT same thing happened to them: the first package is somehow "lost" but they ultimately get their second, replacement order. The USPS does not have a 100% track record, but it is just too coincidental all our first packages are somehow lost by the USPS.

PC1
12-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Why on earth would I not want to send the first package out? I don't want the headache of angry and upset customers. Once again all I can do is apologize for the frustrating experience you had. I am not going to spend my time arguing with you back and forwarth. Once again I am sorry and I am glad the replacement pieces made it out to you.

Laurent
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Why on earth would I not want to send the first package out? I don't want the headache of angry and upset customers. Once again all I can do is apologize for the frustrating experience you had. I am not going to spend my time arguing with you back and forwarth. Once again I am sorry and I am glad the replacement pieces made it out to you.

I do appreciate the apology. And as stated many times above, I'm very pleased with the quality of the pieces received. I was not looking to argue at all with you -- I just wanted to share my full experience with other forum members.

Bud Smith
12-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm sure this won't go over well around here because Rafael is a sponsor, but thought I'd post a review of my experience ordering wood from him . . .

I'll start with the good: the 3 pieces that were delivered are very, very nice. I'll post pictures once I have them in the tank.

And now for the bad: it took over a month to receive anything from Manzman. Even more frustrating were the numerous emails informing me that one or more pieces I had requested suddenly were not available. The biggest frustration was that the first 3 pieces I had ordered were never delivered. Rafael immediately offered to just ship 3 new pieces, but that started the annoying problem of not having all the pieces I requested so I had to find replacement items all over again. Eventually he sent 3 pieces, but honestly, given how many false starts I had with choosing pieces only to later learn that what I had requested was no longer available, I have no way of really knowing if I received what I had requested.

All in all, not a smooth transaction and not the best in keeping the customer informed, but the wood I received is very nice and I don't know if I could have found that level of quality anywhere else for this price. Just be prepared to wait (and wait) and don't fall in love with any individual piece you see pictured on his site -- there's just no way to know if that is what you ultimately will end up with (either because he tells you it has already sold, or because it gets lost by the postal service).

I have ordered 2 times from PC1 and the quaility of the wood and price is excellent but I also learned living in Ohio and purchasing from someone in California (fish the exception w/ next day delivery) that with just regular ground it will take awhile. Communication could be alittle better but both times I recieved exactly what I ordered. The last two pieces of wood I recieved were unique in size and shape and I don't know where I could have found them else where.
Its worth the wait in my opinion

PC1
12-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm glad you like the ones you did get. I'm sorry for coming out the gates swinging. It's been a loong day already and my brain to fingers filter malfunctioned. @pepper thanks!

Second Hand Pat
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I have ordered from PC1 many, many times and have always received the pieces I asked and confirmed they were available. I have learned when PC1 updates the list you have to be quick to get your requests in. A few times it has taken a couple of weeks to get the pieces ordered but they have always arrived in good condition. You can not beat the wood or the price.

Larry Bugg
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I have ordered wood three times from PC1 and when I am ready for more he will get my order. The wood I received was excellent.

bigjohnson
12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I got wood...dw, that is. First time ordering from him and my first time with that paypal method. I emailed him, he confirmed they were available, and after I f@#$%^ my paypal payment by not putting an address in there somewhere, he held them until I contacted him (I gave it a week, knowing it's a week travel time from CA to FLA), after he got my address, the same pieces I ordered, showed up at my door...today in fact. I'd do it again.

frinklinduds
12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
i have ordered wood from this sponsor and had a decent experience, i got everything i wanted and it was in a fair amount of time ( i am east coast as well). he seemed to have handled your situation in a professional way which not many people would do. Ex. "you didnt have shipping insurance" which is what most people will say. in my eyes he hooked you up in the end run, so what if you had to wait a little, stuff happens sometimes

i would definately order off this sponsor again you will not find better wood in my opinion, you may have to wait a bit but its worth it. its better than getting crappy wood fast am i right?

Chad Hughes
12-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Laurent,

I've edited the title of this thread as per your request.

The main reason that I moved the thread is based on the rules of this area of the forum. When posting an experience with a product/service, it's best to post in this section so that the thread stays on track and true experiences can be posted. Outside of the "Product Review" forum, it's a free for all and get smothered with unrelated conjecture.

To all that have posted and now see your posts deleted...

Rules within the product review section of the forum dictate that only first hand experiences be given. The deleted posts did not indicate first hand experience with this seller's product.

I didn't think it was a review of the product so much as sharing my experience ordering from a sponsor. Seemed more likely to me that future customers might find this if it were in PC1's forum section, but I understand the desire/motivation to put this in the product review section instead.

That said, could you amend the title to include a description that this is a review of the ordering experience from PC1(aka Manzman aka Rafael Mendoza)? That might help future customers find this review by running a search on his name.

Laurent
12-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Chad,

Thank you for the amended title and the explanation.

inmisawa
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Don't feel bad. I live about 100 miles away and it took me weeks to get a piece of wood I ordered, so you're not alone.

shoveltrash
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
it took a long time for me to get my wood, but it was well worth the wait for the price I paid & the quality of the manzanita :)

Orange Crush
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Keep in mind he only ships out M-W so if you email him what you want late W or another day you have to wait until the next week for it to ship. Then he sends it parcel post which is slow but the least expensive way for it to get to you, how long that takes is out of his hands. If you are impatient maybe he would be willing to send it with another ship for method but it will cost you. Either way I love the pieces he sent me and I highly recommend.

mteel7237
02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I ordered wood about a year ago from this vendor. There was a slight delay (about four weeks) but he also threw in an extra piece for my trouble. Bottom line, the product is excellent. If it takes a little longer to get to me, patience is a virtue. I would, and will, order from him again.

Len
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I ordered from him back during the Christmas season and was very happy with the service, quality and the delivery time. He shipped it clear across the continent and it was quick. Once he sends it out, he can hardly be held responsible for delivery time unless you want to pay more for expedited delivery.

inmisawa
03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Once he sends it out, he can hardly be held responsible for delivery time unless you want to pay more for expedited delivery.

And maybe that's a lesson that should be taken away from this thread. Inform your clients it could take over a month before they receive their purchase. Offer a more reliable shipping method.

Yes, many of you seem to have had good luck here and it's easy for you to sit here and say be patient. Look at this from someone else's perspective. Imagine you have an empty 180 aquarium sitting in your living room, eagerly waiting some awesome tank decor so you can get going on your dream tank. Week one, nothing. OK, it's reasonable. Week two, nothing. What's going on? Week three, nothing. Did I just get scammed here? Week four, nothing. ***?! Week FIVE, NOTHING! I'm never ordering anything via shipping off of Simply Discus again!

All I'm saying is it's easy to talk a vendor up when you've had good luck. I mean, I think Chad Hughes is great. He's a great guy and I've had good luck with his fish. I'd talk him up to anyone all day long. But look at it from the other side. There have been a few people who feel like they've been burned by Manzman. When they try to inqure what's going on, the only response they get is "I shipped it". Imagine if you had been that person instead. I don't think you'd be so quick to defend that vendor if you had this experience, even if you do like their product.

PC1
03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I do my best to get orders out in a timely manner. Once it leaves me I can not control it all I can do is help fix the situation. Avg transit for Parcel post is 7-10 days from the time I ship it. If something goes wrong in transit which from time to time the post office does drop the ball. Sometimes life gets in the way and it may take a week to get to the post office since I can only ship on certain days. As far as shipping them a different method I have checked every shipping method I can think of to find the best shipping option for you guys. When necessary I use Greyhound which is 20 mins from me because it's a 1/4 of the price for really big packages. Here is a example of 3 different shipping options. From Ca. to NY on a 36" box.
USPS Parcel Post........$28
USPS Priority..............$108/$98 Post office/Online
Fed-Ex (4day)............$72
Yes Priority and Fed-Ex are more reliable and track better but 99% of customers want the most economical way to ship as do I also. If there is a delay on my end I do my best to make up for it. If there is a delay in transit there is not a whole lot I can do. If pieces are lost or destroyed in transit I do all I can to make it right. I really wish every single piece could be shipped priority and within 24 hours of purchase with 0% loss or damage so every single order would be there quickly and everyone is 100% happy. Unfortunatly that is not realistic, mistakes, errors, delays all can happen. No matter what I will always make it right regardless if the error was on my end or the delivery options error.
For those few that have had an unpleasant experience I am truly sorry. For the vast majority that have been happy with their orders THANK YOU! for your kind words :)