PDA

View Full Version : Water Advise Please

jjchmiel78
12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Let me give you some back story first. In May I bought a used 120 gallon tank and the five Zebra Plecos he had in it. He said he was just using tap water treated with Prime for the water changes. I have been doing the same and I added some driftwood to the sand bottom and rock he had in the tank. I have also did the same with my 30 gallon and live plants. At first I was checking Ammonia and Nitrates and after a month of zeros I stopped. Finally at the end of November the LFS I trust got some Discus in from their breeder. I did the foolish thing of buying three to put in the 120 with the Zebras with out testing my water since the Zebras were doing great and I already kept the tank at a warm 84. The fish are still alive showing color, and one I bought because of it's pattern and activity at the pet store despite the fin damage was is growing the fins back out. After the three weeks of them being skittish I ask the LFS for some advise and they suggested double checking my PH and and feeding them something they are more use to. They had a homemade batch of beef heart and other ingredients of frozen food for sale which I have tried. They will come out once the food is floating around the tank and My Zebras love it. Otherwise the only time I get to see them is if I have the room lights off and tank lights on. During the three weeks I have them they would eat the other frozen foods but only after I backed away from the tank and turned the rrom lights off. Tested my PH and my kit read 8.6. Asked LFS advise on lowering it and they suggested buying RO water from them or investing an in RO system and were surprised my fish were even alive. They tested my water from my tank, my 30 gallon planted tank with tetras, and the tap water and their kit showed 8.4 across all three. My question is, should I invest in RO system and gradually lower PH and hardness with 30 gallon water changes every week? Move my tetras from the 30 over to the 120 to act as dithering fish? Do nothing, be patient, and keep the up with regular water changes as I have been doing. Video camera screen capture atached.

pcsb23
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Personally I think a pH of 8.4 to 8.6 is a little high. But I don't think that is the main problem, you have 3 discus, which look smallish in the pic, in a 120 gallon tank. Discus really need to be in larger groups, absolute minimum imo is 5 but with smaller discus the more the merrier (within reason). They may do better for now in the 30 gal tank too if that is possible.

I doubt using RO would help with the skittish behaviour.