PDA

View Full Version : cycling with a seeded sponge

mike046
12-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Hey Folks...about two months ago I lost my 6 Discus I purchased from Hans due to what i think was hex..I kept them in a 125gl with sand as my substrate also i kept Cardnals,plecos and Colombian tetras which did not died so now i sanitized my tank with PP discarded the substrate and cleaned the tank ,so my tank is now running BB with a AC110 filter and two sponges ,2 jager heaters 250 watt each its been running for about a week i just made a purchase with Kenny and he's sending me a seeded sponge to jump start the Bio.. now my question is do i squeeze the sponges into my tank or just connect them to the air pump then acclimate my Discus and drop them in i'm worried that the water would get cloudy and loose my babies do i do a wc that same day or wait a day or so i been having bad luck with Discus and realy want to have them and see them grow without any problems.

Sean Buehrle
12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I think you should cycle your tank properly.

And when you get your new fish, Try and forget about plants and tank mates, they lead to trouble more than not.

I would call Kenny and ask him if it is a fully functioning filter that can handle a bio load.

Take your time so you can rest easy and enjoy your fish.

mike046
12-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank u for the quick reply...so u think i should call kenny and delay my order for another week or would my Discus be fine.

Sean Buehrle
12-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Thank u for the quick reply...so u think i should call kenny and delay my order for another week or would my Discus be fine.

I would ask Kenny for his opinion, he will give you good advice.

My advice is to do this right, don't rush it.

Skip
12-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Drop the sponges.. And then reach in grab ur fish , plop them in the tank... Get them out of the filthy travel water...

mike046
12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Yup just got off the phone with Kenny he said the same thing connect the sponges acclimate the fish and drop them in... Thanks guys... Wish u a Merry Christmas to u and urs

shoveltrash
12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
good luck......sounds like you've had a tough time. Merry Christmas :)
(ps - post some pics when you get them!!!)