PDA

View Full Version : Great plants for discus

neon
12-23-2011, 07:19 PM
I know sword plants is at least one good plant. But what others are so suggestions would be great? My tank is a 55gal.
:computer:

Chicago Discus
12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Plastic LOL

Skip
12-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Plastic LOL

now that is funny!

Chicago Discus
12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
And I didn't even try LOL

Darrell Ward
12-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Floating plants are good, as well as "easy" plants like anubia, java fern, and plants like water sprite. I really don't care for plants that require their roots to be buried in substrate. I don't like plants in pots either. Plants that are growing on the water's surface, or on driftwood, with only a thin layer of sand looks fine, and is much easier to keep clean.

lane mechtel
12-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I agree with a darrell, it is dificult to keep a tank clean with rooted plants. I just purchased some tank planters from www.ripariumsupply.com I found them a couple years ago from a thread on SD. they have been sitting in the aquarium stand for a couple months. I planted one a couple weeks ago it seems to be working well so far. -lane

discuspaul
12-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I really go for Anubias and Java Ferns on DW.
For a change of pace, and great color, I also love Red and Tiger Lotuses.

Unitus
12-24-2011, 12:25 AM
I hope no one minds me tapping in on this thread. I've also got a 55. What stem plants work well in a planted discus tank? I've got loads and loads of green cabomba, as well as a vast mat of chain swords. Don't have the discus yet. Just wondering if those plants can stand the high temp.

discuspaul
12-24-2011, 12:53 AM
The swords certainly will. I'm quite sure the Cabomba will too, but it'll probably tend to 'shred up' more in the higher temp - man, I hate it when those little leaves get in & clog up the filters.
Crypts are good, as well as Ludwigia, any Hygros, Rotala, Bacopa, Aponogetons, and the Lotuses, among others.

pcsb23
12-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I know sword plants is at least one good plant. But what others are so suggestions would be great? My tank is a 55gal.
:computer:
Some threads are stickied for a reason ;)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59346-These-plants-have-worked-for-me-in-a-discus-tank...-%28photos%29
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?30952-Plants-For-A-Discus-Tank

seanyuki
12-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I really enjoy Walter's posts......where is this guy these days?......hey April Ross any updates?

Unitus
12-24-2011, 11:41 PM
The swords certainly will. I'm quite sure the Cabomba will too, but it'll probably tend to 'shred up' more in the higher temp - man, I hate it when those little leaves get in & clog up the filters.
Crypts are good, as well as Ludwigia, any Hygros, Rotala, Bacopa, Aponogetons, and the Lotuses, among others.

Thanks. I have swords, anubias, ludwigia, and lotuses among the cabomba.