PDA

View Full Version : plants for a bare bottom tank?

brands24
12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm considering a lightly planted tank, but I've never done plants before. I've seen the lists of good plants for the discus tank, but which ones will grow on driftwood? I'd like to keep my bare bottom and don't really want a bunch of pots in there. Any advise is much appreciated.

Northwoods Discus
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Anubius, Java fern. These will grow on driftwood and are good at discus temps. I have some crypts growing on driftwood also.

bugman2494
12-29-2011, 04:59 AM
As Northwoods Discus mentioned, anubias and java fern will go great when attached to driftwood. There are also many java fern variants including windelov, narrow leaf, philliphine etc. to choose from. You could possibly also attach some moss or bolbitis to your piece of wood. These usually grow much better in cooler temperatures however I have had no problems with growing vairous mosses including flame, xmas, java, peacock, fissiden in my discus tank which is set at 28C.

ericatdallas
12-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I grow java and xmas moss at 75-78F, not sure about any higher temps but I really doubt it'll be a problem.

Floating plants might also be the way to go, such as frogbit. Or you could get some plants that anchor on to driftwood or rocks (mosses and some others).

The Java Moss definitely didn't do well in high light. I had two 40W T-5 6500K bulbs and it turned brown (I did some research on baryophytes and apparently that's normal in high light). I'm now running just one 40W 6500K bulb and it's starting to recover. I'm running a 40W actinic and a 40W 6500K T5 bulb on another tank, I'll see how that goes. I'm purposely using the actinic to grow algae (for a shrimp tank). It's only been operational for 4 days so no noticeable signs on moss or frogbit yet, but I have noticed algae :)

Skip
12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
frogbit rocks!! i have loads!

CrazyAngels
12-30-2011, 12:04 PM
My discus and angels love to eat my frogbit. I bought a bunch and within a week it was all gone from 2 of my tanks. I love to keep anubias and java moss for the plants and for some reason java ferns did not do as well also.

shoveltrash
12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
is there a reputable online source for anubias & java fern?
I too am looking for plants that grow on driftwood, but no local source for them.

DerekFF
12-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Gordon from The Planted Tank is a seller there who's got bazillions of them for amazing prices

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

shoveltrash
12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
thanks!!! :)

shoveltrash
12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
ps - I'm not a member of that forum....I went there and did a search, but couldn't come up with contact info for "Gordon" ???

Mannie Bothans
12-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Try emailing him at dasunisfun at aol dot com.